Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
This subject has come up through a discussion/argument about another tackle on another thread

Please view the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPd9aT8PXJg

Please read the options carefully before you vote.

When/if you vote, you are going to indicate whether you are based in the Northern Hemisphere (NH) or Southern Hemisphere (SH), and give your opinion as the whether or not this tackle is OK or a PK as various levels of the game.

NOTE: I'm not much interested in any justification for your opinion, I just want to know what you think.

Last edited:

Agustin

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
How do I change my vote? I clicked on the wrong place.

Casey Bee

Referees in England
Post Likes
Looks fine to me. My only suggestion is that green 9 pay green 10's hospital bill.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Beyond my powers I'm afraid. If an Admin can do it, then they will, otherwise I will note it later. Which one did you want to choose?

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
To me this is no different that the one people were saying was a swinging arm, hits high on the chest, wraps and takes to ground, gets up and plays on.

Only difference is this player puts his whole by through the front, the other one the arm is used to grab and hold.

BTW, I voted as a SH referee, but I was a NH Referee for over 10 years, and wouldn't have an issue with it there at any level either.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes

I tried to change it but can't seem to remove it. Since it's a public vote you might as well jut say which one you think is correct.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I voted OK at any level.

... but TBH if I saw it at u14s, I imagine would probably PK.
I took the poll to mean adult rugby.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
call me a SC but I saw no attempt to wrap so it is a shoulder charge for me.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I voted OK at any level.

... but TBH if I saw it at u14s, I imagine would probably PK.
I took the poll to mean adult rugby.

Why, there isn't a different law book for them? That said you're unlikely to see this type of tackle in a "youth game".

I might well stop the game after the tackle for the safety of the guy on the end of it, but it's not a PK:rolleyes:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
you are probably right, technically, but still if I saw that, at that sort of age I reckon in practice I'd penalise it.

To my mind we still have to think of one of the big objectives of junior rugby as keeping players coming back the following week/year and eventually being adult players. I would bet my bottom dollar that if you saw that at u14 it would be a large player doing it to a small one.. too much of that at U14 and the world will be short of players at u15.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I am with crosref on this one.

At U16 and younger I like to see low correct technique tackling coached and used. We want these kids to come back next week and stay playing into the adult game.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
you can't PK someone for a hard tackle, if it's legal, then it's legal!

Did anyone look to stop the game when Johna Lumo ran over the top of the English back three:chin: I know this isn't youth rugby, but still.

I have a boy in my U12's who is feared by all the local teams for his tackling, everyone knows what he can do, he's no more than 7 stone wet through, just fearless and very hard player (oh and the youngest of 4 brothers). So next season when he knocks the wind out of someone, who will probably be bigger than him, i have to PK him cus his tackle was too hard :chin:, if it's legal then it's legal and if yuo don't like it go find a round ball to chase and sware at!:rolleyes:

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
you can't PK someone for a hard tackle, if it's legal, then it's legal!

Did anyone look to stop the game when Johna Lumo ran over the top of the English back three:chin: I know this isn't youth rugby, but still.

I have a boy in my U12's who is feared by all the local teams for his tackling, everyone knows what he can do, he's no more than 7 stone wet through, just fearless and very hard player (oh and the youngest of 4 brothers). So next season when he knocks the wind out of someone, who will probably be bigger than him, i have to PK him cus his tackle was too hard :chin:, if it's legal then it's legal and if yuo don't like it go find a round ball to chase and sware at!:rolleyes:

As a "small" person that was well respected for his tackling ability I can testify that if you're not going at them as hard as you can, you might as well just get out of their way. No one respects the guy going along for a ride on the back of a ball carrier.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
But I don't think it is a clearcut legal tackle - : think it was borderline legal, borderline dangerous. (and to back up that - I'd point at the fact there is a poll at all, and some of the comments from other refs above).

When things are borderline then there's a 'benefit of the doubt' discussion, in that game I'd give benefit of doubt to the tackler, but at young levels the benefit of the doubt, IMO, is more likely to point the thoughtful ref toward 'dangerous tackle'

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Looks like every hit I've seen on a tackle bag in training. Fine by me (Altho preceding tackle was clearly round neck and penalisable!!:wink: )

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Looks like every hit I've seen on a tackle bag in training. Fine by me (Altho preceding tackle was clearly round neck and penalisable!!:wink: )

Which preceding tackle :chin: