Jersey Colour Issues for Comms ... any advice?

RemainingInTheGame

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Context:
- I referee junior rugby (U10-U16) usually doing 2 games back to back, for different teams (usually the same home team, and then different away teams).
- My preference is to use colour (as I often don't know the names of the clubs, being new to the association) rather than club/school name.
- I also try to keep the colour consistent between the two games, as it's very hard to reset from calling 'white' for the first game to then 'green' for the second game for the same club/school.
- During the pre-match I tell the teams (not just the captains) what colour I will call them and their opposition.

Can be annoying for me, and the players as there is a bit of mental juggle to make sure that I'm calling the right colour for 2 similar coloured jerseys.

Is this just making a rod for my own back and is it easier for everyone for me to just bite the bullet and call the teams by club/team name? Or is there any advise on alternative approaches?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Do you find yourself worrying about getting scores wrong?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I do the same as you with 1 exception. We have a Harlequins club who play in their traditional patchwork. They have asked our society to call them 'Quins" which I do.

If I've got 2 teams in blue (maybe light blue v dark blue) I'll look for some other distinguishing colours maybe in the shorts or socks.

RemainingInTheGame

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I do the same as you with 1 exception. We have a Harlequins club who play in their traditional patchwork. They have asked our society to call them 'Quins" which I do.

If I've got 2 teams in blue (maybe light blue v dark blue) I'll look for some other distinguishing colours maybe in the shorts or socks.
Thanks Dickie!

Also reminds me of a Dad joke that I've rolled out in the occasional Pre-Match Briefing, having heard it from somewhere.

For teams who have a matching colour (in this case Blue):
"If I say 'Red' I mean team A, if I say 'Gold' I mean team B, and if I say 'Blue' I mean everyone".

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yeah, use colours , if they are both blue, use the first names you think of as thats what you will blurt out in the heat of the game

RemainingInTheGame

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Do you find yourself worrying about getting scores wrong?
Yes! (but at least here at Junior club and school it's not a ref accountability).

[I do track the scores on a notepad]

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
It always amused me when playing for teams with two equally predominant colours (think hoops or squares) that different refs in different weeks would use a different choice of the two colours (with no obvious clash occurring with either with an oppo shirt)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It always amused me when playing for teams with two equally predominant colours (think hoops or squares) that different refs in different weeks would use a different choice of the two colours (with no obvious clash occurring with either with an oppo shirt)
Why amused? If I reffed a team in blue & white hoops, sometimes I'd call them blue & sometimes white.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
just amsued me. nothing nmasty meant etc. Some refs saw us as black, others white. they were both - of course - correct.
Though why we couldnt just be called Devizes always somewhat defeated me :)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Though why we couldnt just be called Devizes always somewhat defeated me :)
is that a 3 syllable name - De-vice-es?

If so, that would be horrible to use : "roll away, De-vice-es 7" Yuck!

There is also an added mental step:
1. ref sees potential offence by player in black & white hoops
2. ref mentally processes that black & white hoops is Devizes
3. ref says "roll away, Devizes 7"

By the time all that happens, Devizes 7 has, in fact, offended and ref has no choice but to penalise. So it's in Devize's interests not to be called Devizes by the ref ;)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Well, round here lovally its the 'Vize. that would do.

Why call calne "Blue" and not ...errr... Calne.
Or Bath ... blue/black/white and not .... errr Bath.

Its not as if its "Former Twunkfillybitsmithionians Pupils"

:)

JollyRoger

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Why should it be difficult to remember the name of the teams? Players are proud of their clubs / schools. You are refereeing juniors for whom identity is often very important.
I suggest writing the names on your score card, home team first, and then call the teams by their name consistently. What you write on your scoe card is what you call them then little chance of getting it wrong.
If in doubt ask them before KO what they call themselves.

If you cannot differentiate the colours in the heat of the game then how can you expect the players to know who you are referring to?
Perhaps a team is usually refered to as Blue but today they are playing another team in blue so you call them White because they have white trim and call the opposition Blue. Don't be surprised if nothing happens when you shout 'White 7 leave it'.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Why should it be difficult to remember the name of the teams? Players are proud of their clubs / schools. You are refereeing juniors for whom identity is often very important.
I suggest writing the names on your score card, home team first, and then call the teams by their name consistently. What you write on your scoe card is what you call them then little chance of getting it wrong.
If in doubt ask them before KO what they call themselves.

If you cannot differentiate the colours in the heat of the game then how can you expect the players to know who you are referring to?
Perhaps a team is usually refered to as Blue but today they are playing another team in blue so you call them White because they have white trim and call the opposition Blue. Don't be surprised if nothing happens when you shout 'White 7 leave it'.
Colours are generally better because they are almost always only one or two syllables, and require no memory at all

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Colours are generally better because they are almost always only one or two syllables, and require no memory at all
This. I would never use Purple, Orange, Yellow, etc

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

That's exactly why you use colours because you can differentiate them in the heat of the game.

But if something else works better for you, go for it