Jersey Colour Issues for Comms ... any advice?

RemainingInTheGame

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
once the game gets going I am pretty sure you'll automatically revert to pink, without thinking

(That's what would happen with me , anyway!)

So stick with pink !
Yes, I liked that call that if there is a clash etc just call them the first thing that pops into your head - as that will be what you say once you get going - and those teams, it will probably be Pink.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Colours are generally better because they are almost always only one or two syllables, and require no memory at all
i do get that of course.

A team that plays in its change strip only very occasionally meanwhile comes back to the point made by Jolly Roger.
I never wear green. Except this week. Who TF is "Green 3" again?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
10? But 10 wasnt anywhere near the ruck?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Are people seriously suggesting players do not know what colour shirt they are wearing? Our "Valley boys" must be super inteligent, they have no such problem.

Even at scrums where I might say Green 3 can I have both shoulders plese the reply might come "I'm ok I'm wearing 23" (said with a smile and a wink!)

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I could see that in the heat of battle at the bottom of a ruck wearing a shirt i wear once every two years only, Id possibly not be aware in the moment.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I was worried last Friday at the prospect of ARing for a game featuring Durham University. I didn't fancy calling Purple x3 for a set piece PK.

Luckily they played in black!

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Why should it be difficult to remember the name of the teams? Players are proud of their clubs / schools. You are refereeing juniors for whom identity is often very important.
I suggest writing the names on your score card, home team first, and then call the teams by their name consistently. What you write on your scoe card is what you call them then little chance of getting it wrong.
If in doubt ask them before KO what they call themselves.

If you cannot differentiate the colours in the heat of the game then how can you expect the players to know who you are referring to?
Perhaps a team is usually refered to as Blue but today they are playing another team in blue so you call them White because they have white trim and call the opposition Blue. Don't be surprised if nothing happens when you shout 'White 7 leave it'.

Feel free to try and say 'leave it Winnington Park 7' loudly and fast when at a break down and see how it goes!

I either use colours or sometimes shortened variations of names if it works/the clubs use them too - e.g. Sedgley Park often becomes Sedge...

I did use 'Gold' for the first time ever on Sunday which is the fanciest I've ever gone with a colour name...

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I did use 'Gold' for the first time ever on Sunday which is the fanciest I've ever gone with a colour name...

When a team is predominantly yellow, I default to gold for brevity.

The only time I've confused teams is when I had to go to secondary/tertiary colors for both due to clashes (some combo of black/white/red are strikingly common).

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
When a team is predominantly yellow, I default to gold for brevity.

The only time I've confused teams is when I had to go to secondary/tertiary colors for both due to clashes (some combo of black/white/red are strikingly common).
i belive this is because in the 19th C red and black dyes were much cheaper than any other colour

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I was worried last Friday at the prospect of ARing for a game featuring Durham University. I didn't fancy calling Purple x3 for a set piece PK.

Luckily they played in black!
I reffed the Durham Uni Palatinates a few seasons back, I spent the entire warmup trying to decide what colour my brain was telling me (purple harlequins style) and gave up, one of the few games where I’ve used team names instead

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I reffed the Durham Uni Palatinates a few seasons back, I spent the entire warmup trying to decide what colour my brain was telling me (purple harlequins style) and gave up, one of the few games where I’ve used team names instead
"You - you're Blue. And you, you're...honestly, any colour I call that isn't blue"

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I would have likely gone with black (assuming this is the same kit)

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited: