Jersey Colour Issues for Comms ... any advice?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I would have likely gone with black (assuming this is the same kit)
That was what I was expecting, but it was a a four quadrants of purple, white and two other colours (can’t find a pic) - vs blue / white hoops, I think I ran out of colours

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
"You - you're Blue. And you, you're...honestly, any colour I call that isn't blue"
Had that before, blue and red hoops vs red and green hoops, so I decided blue vs green, *no one* was red, right? Apparently not, couldn’t help myself, it became red vs green

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Fret not. You are trying to prevent players infringing - they can hardly complain if you did not tell them to stop infringing. (The home team should have a change of colours)

Another lesson to all of us -do your homework and you would have spotted the colours problem early enough to ask for a change. (YES, I have been caught out -once!)

RedCapRef

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
That was what I was expecting, but it was a a four quadrants of purple, white and two other colours (can’t find a pic) - vs blue / white hoops, I think I ran out of colours
Could always try Squares and Hoops instead of colours?

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
How about just throwing out numbers? Most players know what their number is and if both 7s are competing and you say “7 out” or something like that then both players stop and we get ball out surely that’s a win?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
How about just throwing out numbers? Most players know what their number is and if both 7s are competing and you say “7 out” or something like that then both players stop and we get ball out surely that’s a win?
I think the breakdown is fairly straight forward and even player number is usually not needed (ie "roll away, tackler")

It's in other phases:
lineout : "Blue 4, take a step towards your goal line", "Green, check your numbers", "Red, you need a player in the tram tracks"
scrum: "Blue 3, longer bind please", "Red SH, a straighter feed than last scrum please", Green front row, remember what we discussed pre-game"
admonishment: "Gold captain, a word please and bring your #7 with you"

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Not if one of the 7s has a legal claim on the ball it isn't.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Not if one of the 7s has a legal claim on the ball it isn't.
If I’m calling them out it’s usually because they don’t have a legal claim to the ball.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
If I’m calling them out it’s usually because they don’t have a legal claim to the ball.
youve got me confused now.

"How about just throwing out numbers? Most players know what their number is and if both 7s are competing and you say “7 out” or something like that then both players stop and we get ball out surely that’s a win?"

If one of them has a legal claim, then getting both out isn't a win. Its depriving that 7 of a legitimate piece of play.

Locke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I go with my gut on the color I call them, even if it isn’t the most logical choice based on another color having a larger presence on the jersey or whatever else. For me, when I’ve tried to go against that instinctual conclusion of what to call them, it’s another thought process I’m having to sort through in the heat of the moment and I usually end up accidentally reverting to the initial instinct anyways.

I’m trying to help facilitate a flowing game by giving guidance when possible/practical but, if they get it wrong, they (hopefully) learn from the penalty. There are too many things to watch and consider for me to want to remember a team name or call them some specific shade instead of a major color name or even really yell a specific number, unless the number is pertinent in that one player is legal and another of the same team isn’t.

I have almost always found “leave it green!” or “no hands now green!” to be sufficient. I don’t want to make it more complicated than that.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I go with my gut on the color I call them, even if it isn’t the most logical choice based on another color having a larger presence on the jersey or whatever else. For me, when I’ve tried to go against that instinctual conclusion of what to call them, it’s another thought process I’m having to sort through in the heat of the moment and I usually end up accidentally reverting to the initial instinct anyways.

I’m trying to help facilitate a flowing game by giving guidance when possible/practical but, if they get it wrong, they (hopefully) learn from the penalty. There are too many things to watch and consider for me to want to remember a team name or call them some specific shade instead of a major color name or even really yell a specific number, unless the number is pertinent in that one player is legal and another of the same team isn’t.

I have almost always found “leave it green!” or “no hands now green!” to be sufficient. I don’t want to make it more complicated than that.

That's all good regarding colour, and I agree totally with going with what first comes to mind.

Regarding number however you need to get into the habit of calling both colour and number of offender.
Assessors will expect it, and it also acts as a mental aide when that same player commits/attempts to commit another offence.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
..........and it also acts as a mental aide when that same player commits/attempts to commit another offence.
Good advice and to be honest it's something I do all the time ie call 'stuff' aloud to let players know what I'm seeing/expecting but also to help imprint it in my small brain.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Good advice and to be honest it's something I do all the time ie call 'stuff' aloud to let players know what I'm seeing/expecting but also to help imprint it in my small brain.
Noting, too, not to chatter too much or it becomes white noise

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
It always amused me when playing for teams with two equally predominant colours (think hoops or squares) that different refs in different weeks would use a different choice of the two colours (with no obvious clash occurring with either with an oppo shirt)

Why amused? If I reffed a team in blue & white hoops, sometimes I'd call them blue & sometimes white.
I've been known to call one team by colour and the other hoops in the same game... there was no confusion from players