Keeping Score

Wolrabs

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
Hi,

How does everyone keep score?

I am leaning towards Letters in sequence and tally marks underneath.

Cheers

Sean

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
If I don't have a print out of an offical scorecard, I write on a piece of paper that goes into my wallet:

home team away team
T C P DG T C P DG

Then I box off each section with a big line on the intersection between teams. I then use the tally marks to keep a record of each score. At half time I try to add up the scores and start with a new set of boxes for the second half. At the end of the game I make the final score. Reverse side of the paper I keep a record of subs and a record of cards with the titles: Team, Colour, Number, Reason.

I also write above the name of the team winning the toss who kicks off in the first half, using the code KO1.

A foolproof system, until both teams come running at you at the end of a very closely fought game asking the score, and you have this:

Team 1 - 3 tries, 2 conversions, 1 penalty
Team 2 - 4 tries, 1 conversion

And you say : 24-22 to Team 1 because you've counted their 2 conversions as 6 points instead of 4.

Ooops...

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
How does everyone keep score?
Sean

I write it on my scorecard?

Womble gets his AR to do it.

Simon Thomas gets his butler to do it.

:biggrin:

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
Team 1 - 3 tries, 2 conversions, 1 penalty
Team 2 - 4 tries, 1 conversion

And you say : 24-22 to Team 1 because you've counted their 2 conversions as 6 points instead of 4.

Write the running score instead:
Home Team:
5 - 8 - 15
Away Team:
3 - 10 - 17

I never really found a reason to write more than that...
It's true it doesn't tell you the difference between a DG and a PK scored, but do you really need it on the pitch?

Cheers,
Pierre.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It's true it doesn't tell you the difference between a DG and a PK scored, but do you really need it on the pitch?.

No, but you might need it after the game. The result could depend on it.

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I write 3, 5, 7. Never had a drop goal in a game so no need to distinguish between that and a penalty goal. I don't keep the running total during the game just in case my addition is wrong. I will tally it at half time or if someone asks for the score late in the game.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
editted - layout doesn't work in post.
will upload a pic sometime

I have two columns, and I write the scores sequentially

5-
5+2
5-

and so on.
I total at half time and full time.

I use 5- for unconverted try and 5+2 for a converted one.

never yet had a DG. If i did, I'd probably circle the 3 or something.

Last edited:

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Phil how can the method of scoring 3 points i.e. PK or DG make the difference in the result?

Also anyone found a quicker way of marking the 8 interchanges - getting my wallet out of the pocket seems to take an age to do esp. as it is done upwards of 10 times.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I write 3, 5, 7. .

I think writing 7 is dangerous.

It implies that when the try is scored you write nothing at all, waiting for the conversion.
a minute or more later, if the conversion misses - you could forget to write down the 5 (or I could!)

When the try is scored I write
then when the conversion is done I then record that, adding either a dash or a +2

5 -
5 + 2

I take care to postively record the miss with a dash - , so that I can see that it was a miss, and not a question of forgetting to record.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Also anyone found a quicker way of marking the 8 interchanges - getting my wallet out of the pocket seems to take an age to do esp. as it is done upwards of 10 times.

I am finding what I thought would be no big deal to be a pain in the @rse. Like you between scores and interchanges you're (one is :biggrin:) forever in and out of your (ones) pocket. I have as yet never got to 8 (or 10) and found a team trying another interchange.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I write 3, 5, 7. Never had a drop goal in a game so no need to distinguish between that and a penalty goal. I don't keep the running total during the game just in case my addition is wrong. I will tally it at half time or if someone asks for the score late in the game.
I personally find I need a combined system, so I have a reference if they disagree. If you only keep one system, you have no indication that you've made a mistake.

The Berkshire score card works well for me. It is divided into rows for Tries, Conversions, PK/DG, each row requiring a simple mark to indicate the event, and the card has a bottom line for the running total. At a convenient point during (and at the end of) the game, I can do a quick sum (4x5, 2X3 = 26) and if that disagrees with my running total I need to rethink what happened. If the running total shows 28, it's quite likely I failed to record a conversion. I try to record the events in sequence - so an unconverted try followed by a penalty goal followed by a converted try (hoping the formatting for this will work) might be recorded as:

T I I 1
C x I I
P x I

S 5 8 15

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I think writing 7 is dangerous.

It implies that when the try is scored you write nothing at all, waiting for the conversion.
a minute or more later, if the conversion misses - you could forget to write down the 5 (or I could!)

When the try is scored I write
then when the conversion is done I then record that, adding either a dash or a +2

5 -
5 + 2

I take care to postively record the miss with a dash - , so that I can see that it was a miss, and not a question of forgetting to record.

I usually pull my wallet out between the time the try is scored and the conversion is taken. So if I put my wallet away without having written something (5 or 7), it doesn't seem right. With a penalty kick at goal, I only pull my wallet out after it's gone through. I know if my wallet is in my hand there must have been a score.

Last edited:

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
We have numerous options of scorecards available on our gold rated website:biggrin:

http://scrrs.com/

Scroll down the right hand side to top downloads

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
We have just received from the RFU a batch of interchange/score cards, plus the Excel template for producing more of our own. I presume that will have gone to all Referee Societies.

paul mc

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes

I use the same method as Crossref, I found it easier than little lines in little boxes.

For interchanges I use small laminated home and away cards (1-10) that the interchange player hands to the ref. When they run out of cards they have run out of interchanges.

P

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
For interchanges I use small laminated home and away cards (1-10) that the interchange player hands to the ref. When they run out of cards they have run out of interchanges.

P

that sounds perfect.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
We have just received from the RFU a batch of interchange/score cards, plus the Excel template for producing more of our own. I presume that will have gone to all Referee Societies.

So did we OB last month (about 100 or so) and binned them - we have adapted our own (see above) and contnue to use that.