Kick Off and Restart

Wolrabs

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
Hi,

Just wondered what should happen in the following situation:

U11 Black restarts after try with drop kick. Ball goes past the 10m point and then bounces into touch without a Red player touching the ball.

I brought them back for a red scrum at the middle.

Was this right?

Law 13.8 seems to only cover balls going directly into touch without landing in the field of play.

Thanks

Sean

gillburt

Referees in England
Post Likes
Lineout. Red ball

Restart is over as soon as the ball hit the deck.

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes
Are you in England?

If so is this a club or school game?

If a club game then continuum applies and

1. Ball only has to travel 7m

2. if it bounces in field of play then into touch it is a line out.

3. If direct into touch then option of

a) the kick off being taken again; or
(b) their put in to a scrum at the centre spot; or
(c) accepting the kick and contesting a line out at the half way line.

If a school game then probably U19 variations and all above applies except 10m instead of 7.

Wolrabs

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
Thanks for this!

Completely ballsed it up then!

Cheers

Sean

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thanks for this!

Completely ballsed it up then!
Unlikely to have been your first, and definitely won't be your last! Midi rugby is a great way to start yourself off with a reffing career - competitive, but not too critical. Many of us on here will have been tempted into this role because it was too damn cold to stand passively on the touchlines, and a necessary part of coaching our lads was refereeing them as well.

Common misunderstandings at the kick-off are:

a) a belief that the ball must not bounce within the 7m (10m on a full-size pitch) zone
b) a belief that the kicker must wait for the ref to blow his whistle
c) confusion as to what happens if the ball is kicked dead or into the in-goal area where it is immediately dotted down (it's an option; kick again or scrum back on the halfway line).

Best of luck as you progress.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
b) a belief that the kicker must wait for the ref to blow his whistle

Although this is true of two kicks off per game

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Thanks for this! Completely ballsed it up then!
Everyone makes mistakes Wolrabs - I've seen Nigel Owen make mistakes. The good thing about them is that now that you know you've made a mistake, the chances of you doing the same mistake again should be pretty slim. :wink:

Those U11s are pretty forgiving mind, so you're the only one who's bothered by your decision. :D

Last edited:

Bunniksider

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I don't blow my whistle for a restart after a score, only to start each half.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I don't blow my whistle for a restart after a score, only to start each half.

Good lad.

By definition there are only 2 KICK-OFFS per normal game of rugby (unless extra time applies). The kick following a score is called a RESTART.

Interestingly, only Law 13.2 uses the term RESTART. Other clauses use the term KICK-OFF but mean RESTART as well by inference.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
TBH I thought I was supposed to blow the whistle for both kick-offs and restarts.

According to 6.A.7 I'm not supposed to do that, so that's something else I've learnt today. :wow:

Last edited:

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I will occasianally Blow the whistle after a re-start if there has been a prolonged stoppage due to injury and replacing that injury.
Just refucuses everyone.

Wolrabs

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
Thanks for this guys....it was noticed by a rugby playing parent, so I said I would check and let him know!

Also, I blow the whistle at all kick off and restarts to make sure that the kids are aware of what is happening.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Also, I blow the whistle at all kick off and restarts to make sure that the kids are aware of what is happening.
I raised that point, so I need to apologise for doing so poorly - when I wrote "kick-off", I meant "restart".

By making the kids "aware of what is happening", you are actually misleading them and making them unaware of what is happening. I assume you are affiliated to a club, where your child plays? What reaction do you expect the team to have when they play an away game and the opposition score after taking a quick restart while your lot are waiting for the whistle (and after the kick, looking pleadingly at the ref expecting him to pull it back because there had been no whistle)?

U.11's are at least ten years old. If they are capable of understanding that the game restarts with a whistle, they are capable of understanding that the game restarts with a kick. Why give them incorrect information?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I will occasianally Blow the whistle after a re-start if there has been a prolonged stoppage due to injury and replacing that injury.
Just refucuses everyone.
Interesting. Have you ever thought of doing it before the restart, instead of after? You might get better results:biggrin:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
What reaction do you expect the team to have when they play an away game and the opposition score after taking a quick restart while your lot are waiting for the whistle (and after the kick, looking pleadingly at the ref expecting him to pull it back because there had been no whistle)?

I have seen that exact thing happen, at exactly about u11 or u12, if I remember, the age that kids first start to realise that intelligence and quick thinking is part of rugby :)

the quick thinkers took a quick restart and scoered almost unopposed as most of the oppo were not paying attention and many were - exactly as dixie said - waiting to the ref to pull them back because 'we haven't started yet'

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

For restarts in kids rugby if there is any hesitation by the attacking team I just say "go when you are ready".

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
For restarts in kids rugby if there is any hesitation by the attacking team I just say "go when you are ready".

Almost every week I have to say this at L8 league fixtures, the Kicker looks at you looking for permission and confussed why you won't restart the game

Last edited:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
a quiet, "ready when you are, it is your time" works for me as the re-start kicker approaches me on the half-way line (as I am always there first before the kicker, but not always the ball if it is brought on by a ball-boy while the conversion is taking place).

as a matter of interest, what are the two occasions you would blow the whistle before a re-start kick on half-way (and I don't mean the start of each half) ?