KieranW's university fund

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
en suite?

EN SUITE!!

If money is that tight and a concern, why "require" an en suite? what's wrong with a communal ablutions room/block? In the digs I had at uni we had 4 x baths, 2 x showers, and 4 x loos to share between about 25 people per floor. En suite... FFS...

didds

KieranW

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
en suite?

EN SUITE!!

If money is that tight and a concern, why "require" an en suite? what's wrong with a communal ablutions room/block? In the digs I had at uni we had 4 x baths, 2 x showers, and 4 x loos to share between about 25 people per floor. En suite... FFS...

didds

that was just an idea! Even without it is at least £3,500 though!

Anyways, thats not really the point I was trying to make. I had just been to a uni visit at the time and wanted somewhere to have a rant ;)

Mature, isn't he?

I'm assuming you're referring me, and you're not being sarcastic. In which case, thank you :)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Keiran - does that 3.5K include food?

If NOT I'd agree that seems high, even if it does include power and water etc. That said I'm not sure these days what commercial rents are like + council tax etc.

I'm still somewhat horrified (and i can;t explain why!) that student halls offer en suite accomodation...

didds

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
.... If NOT I'd agree that seems high, even if it does include power and water etc. That said I'm not sure these days what commercial rents are like + council tax etc.
I thought students were exempt from Council Tax. They are in Wales.

By my crude back of the envelope calculations £3,500 works out at approx £85 p/wk for the academic year. Can't you get lodgings? OK you may have to forget the en-suite bathroom, but think of the savings. Is an en-suite worth about £30 a week extra? I have no idea, apart from when I've stayed in hotels, I've never had an en-suite.

Last edited:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
En suite = Pissing in the sink.

When I was at University.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
My daughter paid £3,500 for self-catered halls at Nottingham in 2010/11. This is pretty much the bare minimum. 6 people to a flat, shared kitchen and 2 shower rooms. That compares to my experience at Bristol Uni in 1980, also 6 people in a flat sharing a kitchen and bathroom (no shower). Can't remember what (if anything) was charged for that.

In her second and third years, she is one of 4 sharing a 3-bed semi close to her old halls. It is indeed cheaper (though once heating and other bills are counted, not a huge amount), but she thanked me for suggesting that she pay the extra in the first year in order to benefit from a ready-made and on-tap social life, which would give her friends for the rest of her time at Uni and well beyond. None of her current housemates share her course, and she considers it a real benefit to be able to discuss the topics of the day between an English student, a medic, a lawyer and a historian.

In my locality, a typical 3-bed semi costs about £1200/month to rent. That amounts to £3,600 per year per student, plus bills. So depending on location there may be a financial disbenefit in moving out of halls.

Last edited:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Daughter at Southampton Uni - pays £400 per month to cover Rent and bills in a city centre apartment (few hundred yards from the Mayflower) that she shares with 4 others. They keep it on over summer - so cost is £4800, but they will be starting next term in the same place for the 3rd year running, which has advantages. (I don't need to keep hiring vans and moving all her stuff, unlike when son was at UMIST!!)

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
In my locality, a typical 3-bed semi costs about £1200/month to rent. That amounts to £3,600 per year per student, plus bills.

Indeedy. Luckily he gets some money from Mr Wonka.:biggrin:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
When I was at Cambridge in the 1950s the architects managed to find space to fit toilets into the staircases of Old Court, but for a bath you still had to go to the basement under Hall.

The newer buildings on the other side of the Cam had communal baths and toilets on each staircase.

When I went back for the decennial reunion of my year group recently, the rooms in the newer buildings had been remodelled to have en suite toilet and shower, plus TV, phone, and internet connections. The master told me this was not mollycoddling the students, but a commercial decision to attract lucrative conferences during the vacations.

Costs? No idea.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
The newer buildings on the other side of the Cam had communal baths

Now that's going a little far, however mixed halls would have it's benefits :wink:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I think it's safe to say that Kieran is going to have to find another way to fund his degree.

Maybe something really radical like.....gettting a job! :wow:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
i'd forgotten ouncil tax wavers for students! sorry all.

though 3.5K a year in halls equates to more like £120 a week - 30 weeks a year.

didds

KieranW

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I think it's safe to say that Kieran is going to have to find another way to fund his degree.

Maybe something really radical like.....gettting a job! :wow:

Well I would have one now if it wasn't for the fact that I have 6 day weeks. And I'm sure you'll know how hard QMSIs work you in pt ;)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Well I would have one now if it wasn't for the fact that I have 6 day weeks. And I'm sure you'll know how hard QMSIs work you in pt ;)

If you are looking for sympathy it's in the dictionary.
In between Sh1t and Syphilis!

I think you will find the forces work on a 7 day week, so you need to up your game.

KieranW

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If you are looking for sympathy it's in the dictionary.
In between Sh1t and Syphilis!

I think you will find the forces work on a 7 day week, so you need to up your game.

Not looking for sympathy at all! I signed up for this. Just pointing out I can't get a job at the moment...

KieranW

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Anyway, I'm not on here to be told how suitable I may/may not be for my chosen career (thats the job and has been the job of lots of other people) or to be thought of as a 'bloody student' as was mentioned earlier. I was merely prompting a discussion on something which I feel lots of people are unaware of. I'd like to stay on this site for a while longer if my refereeing starts and continues well - it's a brilliant resource and I've found it very useful so far and there is vast swaythes of experiance on here which I'll never be able to match. But when it comes to off the pitch I'd appreciate it of I were treated as an equal, if that's alright :) With all due respect, of course.

Kieran

(P.s. anyone know what this 'moderator attention' thing on my profile means??)

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
. But when it comes to off the pitch I'd appreciate it of I were treated as an equal, if that's alright.

Right - move 100 miles further north and I'll start thinking about it.:biggrin: