[Tackle] Knock-on in a tackle

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The deliberate rip forward case is obviously a knock on under 11.2.

Just wondering would anyone penalise a player for deliberately ripping the ball in the direction of the opposition DBL?
If so, what would you do if it prevented a try from being score?

Same thought has occurred to me however it appears that the law intent is that a deliberate knock on is penalisable unless it is done to dislodge the ball from an opponent's possession.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
And of course that is something to coach as a good scrummaging technique? Leave an arm off one of the locks while binding to the other?

can he unbind with one arm and pick the ball lout of the second rows while other arm is still bound?

This law above would at least make that legal wrt binding - whether the ball CAN be picked out of the second rows whilst bound with one arm is a different question.

didds
didds

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
"as outlined" to me does not say "must be followed" or "as detailed". E.g. it does not detail the ONLY way that each player can bind on others. It was a simplification of the Law Book (a picture paints a thousand words), not a simplification of the Game. Until my Society (or RFU/WR) specifically tells us that the No 8 has to bind between the two locks, then I shall continue to allow the No 8 to "bind on a lock's body with at least one arm" [19.7(d)].

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
And of course that is something to coach as a good scrummaging technique? Leave an arm off one of the locks while binding to the other?

I'm not here to coach good technique. That is a coaches remit, I am merely pointing out that he may do so. That something is legal does not make it a good option.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The deliberate rip forward case is obviously a knock on under 11.2.

Just wondering would anyone penalise a player for deliberately ripping the ball in the direction of the opposition DBL?
If so, what would you do if it prevented a try from being score?

I don't think 11.2 refers to the rip, I think it refers to the ball is dislodged in the tackle scenario

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
can he unbind with one arm and pick the ball lout of the second rows while other arm is still bound?

[LAWS]Law 19.24. Any player within the scrum may play the ball but only with their feet or lower legs and
they must not lift the ball. Sanction: Penalty.[/LAWS]

[LAWS]Law19.36. The scrum ends:
b. When the ball reaches the feet of the hindmost player and it is picked up by that
player or is played by that team’s scrum-half.[/LAWS]

[LAWS]Law Trial (uses the 2017 Law numbering)
20.9 (b) Handling in the scrum - exception
Allow the number eight to pick the ball from the feet of the second-rows.
Guidance Notes:
The number eight can only pick the ball from the second row not the front row and this has to be done from where they are positioned before the scrum feed.[/LAWS]

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I hope that Law Trial goes - it leads to a situation where the #8 has his head between the locks, is bound in (with one arm), but the scrum is over.
And hardly anyone on the pitch can tell it's over, including, very possibly, the ref.
Why is it over ? Because with one hand the #8 has grabbed the ball

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Won't happen coz the #8 has to unbind first then reach into the 2nd row for the ball. The trial just makes the present practice legit.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Won't happen coz the #8 has to unbind first then reach into the 2nd row for the ball. The trial just makes the present practice legit.

What I see is invariably the #8 reaching in with one hand .. reach with two and you will lose balance and fall between the locks