knock on into touch

B52 REF

Referees in England
Post Likes
new LAT says "if ball in touch from knock on...lineout at the point the ball crossed the touch line" FYI 3 panel refs told me tonight this is not so -if ball knocked on directly into touch LO is in line with the knock on.(only where "crossed the touch line" if it bounced in play) one of the 3 also opined that it was the same as a kick i.e. depended on whether in 22 or not??

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
it would be unusual to see a knock-on travel further than a metre so not sure if this is a practical issue or an academic one. If its a punch or slap forward probably a PK for deliberate.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Seems reasonable to treat it same as a kick.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
in practice it makes little difference
- a knock on any distance from the touchline will touch the ground before it goes into touch
- or if the knock on very close to the touchline , you'll be talking tiny distances
- a throw forward into touch, if it's a deliberate throw forward its a PK, if it's an accidental throw forward, ie it was supposed to be a pass, it's going to be going very flat anyway.

But I think technically it makes sense to treat it like a kick.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
We examined this on a previous thread, but I can't remember which one.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
any difference will be marginal and I have got more important things to worry about :biggrin:

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
new LAT says "if ball in touch from knock on...lineout at the point the ball crossed the touch line" FYI 3 panel refs told me tonight this is not so -if ball knocked on directly into touch LO is in line with the knock on.(only where "crossed the touch line" if it bounced in play) one of the 3 also opined that it was the same as a kick i.e. depended on whether in 22 or not??

I take it this descussion took place at the reform club dear chap!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

I have had nothing from the RFU to back up this statement.

This is NOT what the law says.

The video example of a knock forward into touch (that was sent to training officers with the LATS presentation) does not back up what you have said.

Add new 12.1 (e):
Knock-on or throw forward into touch. When the ball goes into touch from a knock-on or throw forward, the non-offending team will be offered the choice of a lineout at the point the ball crossed the touch line, or a scrum at the place of the knock-on or throw forward. The non-offending team may exercise this option by taking a quick throw-in.

Its probably something else that we may get an ammendment to the new law about.

B52 REF

Referees in England
Post Likes
phil e - i am minded to agree with you-follow law as is writ but my guys adamant this is what they have been told. as others have said no big issue EXCEPT DEFENDERS UNDER PRESSURE ATTACKING WING KNOCKS ON 23 METRES FROM DEFENDERS TRYLINE ball goes out on full 21 metres out according to panel guys their option is srum or LO 23 meres out so if win it cannot kick into touch/gain ground as will have taken ball back into 22.

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
phil e - i am minded to agree with you-follow law as is writ but my guys adamant this is what they have been told. as others have said no big issue EXCEPT DEFENDERS UNDER PRESSURE ATTACKING WING KNOCKS ON 23 METRES FROM DEFENDERS TRYLINE ball goes out on full 21 metres out according to panel guys their option is srum or LO 23 meres out so if win it cannot kick into touch/gain ground as will have taken ball back into 22.

I can catagorically tell you dear chap that we have been told nothing of the sort!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Generally speaking I don't go on what has been said, unless I have it in writing!

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Especially if it comes from the smoke!