"L" plates?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Sounds like a great idea, though does it give teams a signal to 'try it on'?

I've seen a number of these games with green shirt refs and they generally ref U12 - U16. The coaches (AFAIK) don't take advantage.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
to be pedantic, it is doff as in do off, don from do on etc and perhaps do oh!

Would that it were, would that it were.

Ting! "Trollybobs"......................Frank!

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Shouldn't it be worn when managing a game? Being fair to both parties the objective and not belittlement, of course.:hap:

It is accepted practice in our Society to not disclose the learner status of any referee, as that can set off pre-conceptions.

I am also of the mind that we are always learners every single week - I know I am both as a referee and as an assessor.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I've seen a number of these games with green shirt refs and they generally ref U12 - U16. The coaches (AFAIK) don't take advantage.

Makes it worth while then.

AFAIK = As far as I know

It is accepted practice in our Society to not disclose the learner status of any referee, as that can set off pre-conceptions.

I am also of the mind that we are always learners every single week - I know I am both as a referee and as an assessor.

If for Junior Rugby I see the benefit, coaches tell us when a player is new. I wouldn't advise it in senior rugby where they would just take the p*ss.

to be pedantic, it is doff as in do off, don from do on etc and perhaps do oh!

You'll fit in well here!

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
They surely wouldn't let a learner loose to ref a senior game, would they?

Perhaps to avoid belittling the poor probationer with a green shirt and to save money, why not have them wear a simple arm band with a capital letter 'N' on it . . . . for neophyte?:hap:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
They surely wouldn't let a learner loose to ref a senior game, would they?
A senior game is simply one with all players over 18. In the sort of games our beginners start with, many of the players are over 50. Little remaining speed or skill. Social rugby in the Extra B.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
A senior game is simply one with all players over 18. In the sort of games our beginners start with, many of the players are over 50. Little remaining speed or skill. Social rugby in the Extra B.

Indeed, my first Society appointment was Dinnington III vs Selby IV :biggrin: Quality!!! All of us!

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I thought we'd done away with the "L". I haven't seen one in years. Green shirts are a good idea, though.

Not as far as I knew, although I could be wrong as I haven't seen a green shirter since I was one.

WinterMute

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
........oops, please ignore this post

ruareftrev91

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Re: "L" plates?

They are still around for the new members until they get to a certain amount of posts. then it nudges us (me) to look at them.

Personally Robert I find the 'L' plates a little insulting.
I started refereeing in 1991, took and passed my exam in 1992(in those days there was no ELRA) and am still ref'ing today.
While learning is a continuous process the 'L' plates suggests inexperienced, unskilled, lack of understanding.
Perhaps a 'P' for probationary member or 'N' for new member would be more accurate and less demeaning than an 'L'.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Better than a pointy hat with D on it! :biggrin:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Re: "L" plates? ... Personally Robert I find the 'L' plates a little insulting. I started refereeing in 1991, took and passed my exam in 1992(in those days there was no ELRA) and am still ref'ing today. While learning is a continuous process the 'L' plates suggests inexperienced, unskilled, lack of understanding. Perhaps a 'P' for probationary member or 'N' for new member would be more accurate and less demeaning than an 'L'.
Are we at cross purposes here?

I thought we were talking about "L" plates on the back of trainee refs jerseys - not the "L" plates under their forum name.

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
Re: "L" plates?

Personally Robert I find the 'L' plates a little insulting.
I started refereeing in 1991, took and passed my exam in 1992(in those days there was no ELRA) and am still ref'ing today.
While learning is a continuous process the 'L' plates suggests inexperienced, unskilled, lack of understanding.
Perhaps a 'P' for probationary member or 'N' for new member would be more accurate and less demeaning than an 'L'.

Well it does serve to remind us to be careful before we take the proverbial, which we may well do when we get to know you better, seeing as you come from Cornwall... ;)