Ladies' law variations

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
One of my club colleagues is doing a ladies' match tomorrow. I said I'd ask on here about law variations. I've tried to find the latest version but I'm struggling. Is it still essentially the U19 variations i.e. 35 minute halves, max 1.5m scrum push, max 45 deg wheel etc?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
One of my club colleagues is doing a ladies' match tomorrow. I said I'd ask on here about law variations. I've tried to find the latest version but I'm struggling. Is it still essentially the U19 variations i.e. 35 minute halves, max 1.5m scrum push, max 45 deg wheel etc?

Similar vein

I've got my 1st womens uni game next Wednesday , so on the same theme , is there anything peculiar to women's adult rugby that I should do /need to know
Such as fingernail length check???

PS..serious suggestions would be doubly appreciated!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I referee my first competitive women match a week or two ago (previously I had reffed some friendly)
This was a RFU league match and the laws were identical to mens game.

The only point of interest I had was to deal with someone pulling long braided hair. Which is not unknown in the men's game..

You need to check the competition rules. I think it's unlikely that adults be playing to u19 rules? none of three games i have done were to u19 laws. .

Last edited:

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
This reference here does indicate 35 minute halves but says nothing about 1.5m push or 45 deg wheel whereas they are mentioned in this older document.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Check with the league regs. In Scotland the top ladies leagues are full scrum, but the lower are U19 scrum. There are some age grade differences too if that is relevant.

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
This is a grass roots match, a friendly and as low a level as it gets so need to worry about differences between the elite and the lower leagues, just as long as we know what's the correct regs for the lower levels in England.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The only thing I can think of is the Regulations. There are certain "extras" that ladies are allowed to wear - and I don't mean leggings!! :biggrin:

ETA; Found it

REGULATION 12
SCHEDULE 1. SPECIFICATIONS RELATING TO PLAYERS’ DRESS
LAW 4 – PLAYERS’ CLOTHING

2. Special additional items for women
Chest Pads*
Besides the previous items, women may wear chest pads made of soft and thin materials which may be incorporated as part of a garment provided that the pads cover the shoulder and/or collar bone and/or chest only with no part of the pads thicker than 1cm when uncompressed and no part of the pads having a density of more than 45 kilograms per cubic metre

* Shoulder Pads, Headgear, Chest Pads (Women) must conform to the Standard Performance
Specification for Specific Items of Players' Clothing (Appendix 1 hereto). 1

Last edited:

JJ10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Check the league regs. If there are none, or is a friendly outside of a league, then just go with whatever the team management/skippers say prior to the game. They *should* know! For reference, at around the RFU Womens second tier (L10), they play normal laws and regs. If this is 12 or below, it may be U19 laws.

Na Madrai

Referees in England
Post Likes
JJ10 is spot on. I have refereed countless ladies matches and the relevant laws differ by age and level. The vast majority are U19 laws but the higher levels play to the full laws.

I did referee a match once when a player had a bra on which contained some metal. This caused a serious injury so it is essential that you check the clothing of all the players.

NM

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I do a lot of BUCS games and no side has ever wanted any different laws applied to the full IRB laws. Of course that does not say we are right.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
It is Appendix 1 to Regulation 16. In the recent past, the vast majority of women's matches were played under U.19 variations. This no longer applies - adult women play under men's rugby rules.

[LAWS]APPENDIX 1
All matches played under the jurisdiction of the RFU and/or in RFU Women
Competitions or any other competition or merit table must be played in
accordance with the IRB Laws (including the IRB Under 19 Law Variations) and
any such law variations set out in Appendix 1 (and/or otherwise agreed by the
RFU).

1. Law Variations

National Challenge 1
Match duration: 35 minutes each way

National Challenge 2 & below
Team numbers: Matches can be played with reduced numbers of either
10 or 12 a side. 12 a side will comprise of 6 forwards and 6 backs (front
row, second row, number 8). The lowest number of Players a team can
play with is 10.

Teams are required to contact their opposition by no later than
Thursday evening to confirm playing numbers for the scheduled
fixtures to enable both teams to agree on the format of the match. This
should also include whether the game is likely to be played with
contested or uncontested scrums.

Match duration: 35 minutes each way.

Rolling Substitutions: Rolling substitutions are permitted subject to a
maximum squad size of 20 and in accordance with the specific
Regulations relating to rolling substitutions as set out in Regulations 18
to 26 (inclusive) of Appendix 2 to RFU Regulation 13. Substituted
players can be re-used at any time subject to a maximum of 10 player
interchanges. Substitutions can only take place when the ball is dead
and always with the Referee’s knowledge.

2. Uncontested Scrums
Premiership, Championship and National Challenge Division 1
In the event of a team being unable to field a suitably trained front row
at the start of any match, the Referee will order uncontested scrums and
the team responsible for causing the uncontested scrum shall be
deemed to have lost the match, but will not have a default awarded
against them if they turn up to play the fixture.
A team unable to field a suitably trained front row should still make
every effort to fulfil their fixture with uncontested scrums in order to
avoid being awarded a default.
National Challenge 2 and below
In the event of a team being unable to field a suitably trained front row
at the start of any match or during the match, the Referee will order
uncontested scrums and the result of the match shall stand.
Teams are required to contact their opposition by no later than Thursday
evening to confirm playing numbers for the scheduled fixtures to enable both
teams to agree on the format of the match. This should also include whether
the game is likely to be played with contested or uncontested scrums.
[/LAWS]

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Ladies play the same as laws as men, simples!

there can be a difference in squad numbers and there are no "interchanges", but FR and blood can be replaced (think of a couple of years back).

With regards to the underwear etc, yep we can all have a good giggle, but trust me, they've heard it all before :wink: They know what they are and aren't allowed to wear. Just ref it like a mens game!

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ladies play the same as laws as men, simples!

there are no "interchanges", ...!

That piece of information seems to conflict with the Regulation:

Rolling Substitutions: Rolling substitutions are permitted subject to a maximum squad size of 20 and in accordance with the specific Regulations relating to rolling substitutions as set out in Regulations 18 to 26 (inclusive) of Appendix 2 to RFU Regulation 13. Substituted players can be re-used at any time subject to a maximum of 10 player interchanges. Substitutions can only take place when the ball is dead and always with the Referee’s knowledge.

Is that a local regulation, or one specific to the level you referee at (National Challenge 1)?

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Yes they have heard it all before - especially the ones who started playing tag when still in nappies.

But the girl they dragged in for her first game might not.

If you have to remind someone to remove jewelry, you might think about about mentioning metal you cannot see.
But these days the boys are as likely to have their belly pierced as the girls.

Camquin

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
That piece of information seems to conflict with the Regulation:

Rolling Substitutions: Rolling substitutions are permitted subject to a maximum squad size of 20 and in accordance with the specific Regulations relating to rolling substitutions as set out in Regulations 18 to 26 (inclusive) of Appendix 2 to RFU Regulation 13. Substituted players can be re-used at any time subject to a maximum of 10 player interchanges. Substitutions can only take place when the ball is dead and always with the Referee’s knowledge.

Is that a local regulation, or one specific to the level you referee at (National Challenge 1)?

South Div 1 yesterday, ladies from both teams agreed there were no interchanges :shrug:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
South Div 1 yesterday, ladies from both teams agreed there were no interchanges :shrug:
Our ladies team (bottom level) would be delighted to have enough players to be able to worry about such niceties. :sad:

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
so colesy - what Laws did they play?

I had a chat with the ref and we both had a chat with the coaches and went with the Regulation 16 Appendix 1 version that Dixie has set out earlier, as that was the latest we could find.