Ladies world cup 2014

rugbyslave

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I am afraid you need to be better informed about how both their Home Unions and IRB develop top female referees, the Development and Coaching Pathways they have followed, alongside male referees, and their monitored capabilities.

I know two of the English referees at the Womens RWC quite well, and their weekly training, coaching and officiating schedules are as busy as their male counterparts at their national league levels. Both are ranked in the top 100 (out of 5,000 plus Society Refs in England both male and female). I do not know the highest ranking English female referee who is on the National Panel squad, and out at RWC but she will only have got where she has through years of effort, coaching, ability and high potential being in the middle of a vast number and types of games at Society, Federation and Group level alongside her male colleagues and achieving a higher grade level than 99% of them.

Your comments about Junior Boys level and Maties referee academy are totally off target and rather laughable.

I was way out of line with my flippant statement I made and I apologise , I personally believe these women referees are doing a sterling job, with the odd decision here and there, we have it even in the men's rugby world cup. I apologise for the garbage I wrote.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Are x3 matches being played on the same pitch on 17/8 with the Final being the 3rd match in a row ?

If so, then the schedulers took a risk with the weather gods, as a churned up soft surface could ruin the Showpiece final.

Forecast is ???? ✴ ↗?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I was way out of line with my flippant statement I made and I apologise , I personally believe these women referees are doing a sterling job, with the odd decision here and there, we have it even in the men's rugby world cup. I apologise for the garbage I wrote.

Accepted and we move on. Thanks for being so honest and having a decent pair. Respect.

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Are x3 matches being played on the same pitch on 17/8 with the Final being the 3rd match in a row ?

If so, then the schedulers took a risk with the weather gods, as a churned up soft surface could ruin the Showpiece final.

Forecast is ???? ✴ ↗?

It's what they've done the whole tournament. They use 2 pitches and have 3 matches per pitch every match day. The Canada - France match was the third match that day as well.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
It's what they've done the whole tournament. They use 2 pitches and have 3 matches per pitch every match day. The Canada - France match was the third match that day as well.

I know they have, and clearly it adds to the feel of a 'festival of rugby' . I'm just a tad surprised that the showpiece fixtures are staged 3rd up on a pitch that's had lots of use beforehand ...

If I was in my pinnacle match I'd hope for the best possible pitch, but hey ho ...it could be worse.... It could be held at BTfield !

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I know they have, and clearly it adds to the feel of a 'festival of rugby' . I'm just a tad surprised that the showpiece fixtures are staged 3rd up on a pitch that's had lots of use beforehand ...

If I was in my pinnacle match I'd hope for the best possible pitch, but hey ho ...it could be worse.... It could be held at BTfield !

I agree. They have 3 pitches to use at the national rugby center plus Stade Jean Blouin. They should have the 3rd place match as the first match of the day at Jean Blouin, the rest split between 2 of the NRC pitches. Then you'd have 2 matches per pitch on the final day when everyone is playing for rankings or the World Cup. As well, after the Ireland-France match they'd have time to do field work to make sure everything is perfect for the final.

The pitch was getting torn up as well in the Semi's. You could see it from the shallower camera angles, especially where scrums occurred. The Canada-France match was worse than the England-Ireland match which made sense. That being said, unless it rains, it should hold up.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
An untidy ruck contest and sometimes it was a handling error fest, but nevertheless a win is a win and the Canadians are a physical handful sure enough.

Congrats 2 Englands Women

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Well done England. I'll try watching it online later.

Any refereeing issues / incidents worth discussing?

Not really. Rucks were still kinda messy but overall the match was well officiated.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
One decision grabbed my notice.

Red knock-on, white about to get possession, but rather than allow this red ( who is by now on the ground ) scrabbles/gathers the ball into her grasp & denying white use of the ball. It was fairly C&O to my eye.

I was wanting a PK, rather than the white scrum that was awarded.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Well done England. I'll try watching it online later.

Any refereeing issues / incidents worth discussing?

Yes....that's 2 WRWC finals in a row officiated by Aussie women (the last one is still active at the top level in my association). And both gave a good account in the final. Yay the Aussie girls flying the flag for Oz test referees! :aus::aus::aus::pepper::pepper::pepper:

(sadly, gladly and fortunately I still see SW as kiwi :shrug::shrug:)

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Yes....that's 2 WRWC finals in a row officiated by Aussie women :aus::aus::aus::pepper::pepper::pepper:

They'll be amongst the favourites to get the next Final in 4 years time :shrug::shrug: !!! (Winks)

PS.. Where are all the congratulatory Kiwis ????

Last edited:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
What a joy it was to watch the Women's RWC Final yesterday evening. My rating was a L5 management challenge in general, pro-actively and positively handled by the referee. Pace was mostly L7 with injection of L6 speed at times when Canadian back three and England #9 Hunt (who fully justified her selection) got their hands on the ball.

The referee and her ARs were confident and competent. The referee had a neat and tidy refereeing performance, good effective communication with no white noise, good use of colour & number as required to get player action. She was there when she needed to be and let the players get on with the game the rest of the time. No drama, no showboating, just calm, clear officiating. Well done.

She did allow too much 'flopping' at rucks and needed to keep players on their feet more - but she got the side entries and tackler non-releases spot on. Management of back foot was attentive but not intrusive.

She got the jackler calls right, she pinged Alfonsi early on for holding on (and so set the standard) and managed the four flankers pretty well throughout keeping them legal.

She handled the scrum well and was clear in what she wanted and enforced it with first warning & then PK as required - her effective management enabled a real contest to take place (I had the benefit of my daughter's scrum analysis alongside me !). However I was not impressed by English scrum half on Canada's put-in ball, with hand on the Canadian #9's back ! and as the match went on the two of them were blocking and pushing - untidy and needed sorting. C&O result was three unchallenged back-row breaks by Canadian 7 as English #9 was blocked in (partly her own fault for getting past Canadian #9 and into the #8 pocket - Canadians "played" her well - smart coaching).

The referee missed a couple of C&O English obstructions as players crossed, and one (clever) Canadian handling on floor to prevent English ball turnovers.

Canada were very cute tactically and shut down England's space effectively (and legally), first up tackling by both sides was robust, and Canada in Q3 had all the momentum and were threatening to win the match until Emily Scarratt produced the match winning moment, with a break of the highest standard.
I thought Alfonsi all over the park & Hunter at #8, England #9 Tasha Hunt & #10 McClean and the Canadian back three were outstanding, Canada's flanker Karen Paquin was amazing plus all six of the original FR and the FR replacements stood out. But for me Emily Scarrett was pure class in all she did, even getting back to make a tackle after she missed the first one !

Finally a personal tribute to Emma Croker (England replacement hooker) of Basingstoke RFC. With 50 plus caps, and a stalwart of Richmond Ladies RFC, she deserves every plaudit in her achievement becoming a World Cup Winner. A few years ago she gave birth to Lucy and was very dangerously ill for some time before and after the birth. To come back from that and perform at that level is amazing. And a nice unassuming lady with it. James must be a very proud husband.

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Damn, the RFU spotted it ........ So it wasn't Chris robshaw at no 7 for Canada after all !

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Damn, the RFU spotted it ........ So it wasn't Chris robshaw at no 7 for Canada after all !

No you spotted it (the dangers of cut & paste and then over-typing), the RFU scanner of this site picked up your observation and fixed it :biggrin:

Seriously good spot by you - far too much free time on your hands !