[Law] Law Exam !

rugbyslave

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Team A is awarded a free kick. They opt for a scrum and win the ball. The ball is quickly passed to A10 who drop kicks the ball through the posts and above the cross bar and the ball then is caught by player B15 in his own in- goal area and runs un-opposed and scores a try under Team A’s goal posts.
a) award a drop out to Team B
b) award a scrum where the ball was kicked to Team B
c) the referee awards the drop goal to Team A
d) option to Team B: to have a drop out on the 22 meter line OR to have a set scrum on the place where the ball was kicked and they throw in
e) award a try to Team B.

I know the answer but how many would be brave enough to allow it. !

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
it's (e) and the referee is well advised to make some loud calls of 'no goal! play on!' as the scenario unfolds...

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes

It'd certainly need explaining to team A.

For a bonus point, what if, instead of the fullback catching the ball, it had gone over the DB line. Restart?

Staffs_Ref

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Has to be (e). It would, no doubt,be greeted with shouts of derision by all and sundry, but that would be the correct call.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
A very cynical gambit I once heard of. Red elects to take the scrum from a FK, drop kicks the ball high between the posts, red chaser gathers and touches down. Glad I wasn't the ref then!

Staffs_Ref

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7

For a bonus point, what if, instead of the fullback catching the ball, it had gone over the DB line. Restart?
Option (d) would surely apply in that instnace.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

Arguably a 22m - given it was a bona-fide DG attempt in good faith

But technically correct is no doubt options of 22m / Scrum

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Team A is awarded a free kick. They opt for a scrum and win the ball. The ball is quickly passed to A10 who drop kicks the ball through the posts and above the cross bar and the ball then is caught by player B15 in his own in- goal area and runs un-opposed and scores a try under Team A’s goal posts.
a) award a drop out to Team B
b) award a scrum where the ball was kicked to Team B
c) the referee awards the drop goal to Team A
d) option to Team B: to have a drop out on the 22 meter line OR to have a set scrum on the place where the ball was kicked and they throw in
e) award a try to Team B.

How many would be brave enough to not allow it and then have to explain to Team B why they stopped a genuine try scoring opportunity...

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In reality I don't think a team attempting a drop goal would be that sleepy -- in any drop goal attempt a counter attack (from a miss) is a very likely possibility, so you are alert -- then when the kick appears to go over, there is the tension of whether the ref will award it (if it's close, as drop goals usually are, he may not be well positioned or well sighted) so team will / or at least should remain completely alert to the counter attack until the drop goal is signalled by the ref ...

...so in this case they may not realise WHY the ref didn't award it -- but they should all be completely alert to the fact that the goal wasn't awarded, and the ref is playing on --

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Typical law exam question, in the sticks if outhalfA doesn't know the laws, what are the chances the opposing fullback will be so well versed? Anyway as crossref points out, with or without knowledge of the relevant law, any back line worth its salt will tackle B15 before he gets outside his own 22.
21.6‬ Scoring from a free kick
(b). The team awarded a free kick cannot score a dropped goal until after the ball next becomes dead, or until after an opponent has played or touched it, or has tackled the ball carrier. This restriction applies also to a scrum or lineout taken instead of a free kick.
It's one thing knowing which law you are applying, another convincing local fanatics, you are correct in your decision. Perhaps you may be well advised to have a copy of TLoG pitch side, since the lynch mob may prevent you from getting to your car afterwards.

Last edited:

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Arguably a 22m - given it was a bona-fide DG attempt in good faith

But technically correct is no doubt options of 22m / Scrum

Yep, the latter. There was an IRB clarification a few years ago - you can't attempt a DG, even if you don't know you can't.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
...Perhaps you may be well advised to have a copy of LoG pitch side, since the lynch mob may prevent you from getting to your car afterwards.

I'd be more concerned by any such mob if I'd awarded the DG. I'd not be too worried about lynch mobs in this neck of the woods.

Ricardowensleydale

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Typical law exam question, in the sticks if outhalfA doesn't know the laws, what are the chances the opposing fullback will be so well versed? Anyway as crossref points out, with or without knowledge of the relevant law, any back line worth its salt will tackle B15 before he gets outside his own 22.
21.6‬ Scoring from a free kick
(b). The team awarded a free kick cannot score a dropped goal until after the ball next becomes dead, or until after an opponent has played or touched it, or has tackled the ball carrier. This restriction applies also to a scrum or lineout taken instead of a free kick.
It's one thing knowing which law you are applying, another convincing local fanatics, you are correct in your decision. Perhaps you may be well advised to have a copy of TLoG pitch side, since the lynch mob may prevent you from getting to your car afterwards.

How confident would you be that B's hooker didn't touch the ball?

Huck2Spit

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
What if...same scenario as OP but add in that DG attempt is touched in flight and still goes over crossbar, 3 point? Or play on?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
What if...same scenario as OP but add in that DG attempt is touched in flight and still goes over crossbar, 3 point? Or play on?

3 points for me.

How about this?

Red take a tap for the FK and run the ball up. A maul forms which Red win and they run the ball up again. Ball carrier trips over and a ruck forms over him. Red win the ruck too, pass back to #10 who slots the drop goal. Score count?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I'd say technically you should not award the score.

However, I am (currently) of the opinion that the point of the law is that there must be a contest for the ball after the Free kick / scrum option. So would be inclined to award the score even though there has been no tackle.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
3 points for me.

How about this?

Red take a tap for the FK and run the ball up. A maul forms which Red win and they run the ball up again. Ball carrier trips over and a ruck forms over him. Red win the ruck too, pass back to #10 who slots the drop goal. Score count?

Isn't that what the law says is fine? summat about after a breakdown/ruck is OK?

Ah... wait... a tackle? Hmmm... suppose technically not then.

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
3 points for me.

How about this?

[LAWS](b)
The team awarded a free kick cannot score a dropped goal until after the ball next becomes dead, or until after an opponent has played or touched it, or has tackled the ball carrier. This restriction applies also to a scrum or lineout taken instead of a free kick.[/LAWS]

so, no, it's no goal.... hmm....