Leicester vs bath

JohnP

Post Likes
Lot of chatter about Matt carney's performance but other than over warning and not actioning a card he wasn't that bad.
However question re the cross field kick by ford at around 66 min. Did Tait knock it ( back) deliberately over dead ball? An offence or not? Comments if you saw it.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Lot of chatter about Matt carney's performance but other than over warning and not actioning a card he wasn't that bad.
However question re the cross field kick by ford at around 66 min. Did Tait knock it ( back) deliberately over dead ball? An offence or not? Comments if you saw it.

yes seemed to to me he knocked it out. PK and a YC.

Treadmore

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
If memory serves (hopefully i've got the right game!), I thought at the time he tried to knock it back to his team mate, who then followed it to the dead ball line. Fwiw his team mate could have made it dead at any point. Nothing to penalise, I thought.

Last edited:

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
If memory serves (hopefully i've got the right game!), I thought at the time he tried to knock it back to his team mate, who then followed it to the dead ball line. Fwiw his team mate could have made it dead at any point. Nothing to penalise, I thought.

I think you have the wrong game there Treadmore, it was a crossfield kick under a penalty advantage being played, Bath winger and Matthew Tait race into the corner, Tait jumps in front of the Bath winger and for me uses both hands and makes contact and bats the ball out of the field of play.

For me it should of been a PK and YC.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
The losing coach ( unsurprisingly?) points toward 'home influence' ....

Mike Ford said
We were on the wrong side of the referee. We couldn't adapt. We are the best-disciplined team in the competition by a country mile, but today we conceded nine or 10 penalties in the first 25 minutes, so we will have to look at that.
"Is it because we've come to Leicester and the crowd are baying for our blood? I am not too sure.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I know, cus I was there!

22.5k tigers fans can make a lot of noise, from where I was sitting (Thanks Phil!) it did seem that the ref was guessing on some of his scrum decisions and that was both ways! All in all, on the day, they wanted it more, simples! They did everything they could get away with to not let Bath play and it worked.

But as an exiting Bath supporter said "53-17 across the season, we'll take that!" :wink:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
But as an exiting Bath supporter said "53-17 across the season, we'll take that!" :wink:

Or to put it another way, one each :wink:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Just watched the cross field kick on the video (PRL website) and he goes up for it with both hands and makes an attempt to catch it.
IMO he doesn't "deliberately" knock it in to touch-in-goal, there is enough of an attempt to catch the ball to make it unintentional. I think the fact that he jumps with 'both' hands up is the key.

[LAWS]Throwing into touch. A player must not intentionally knock, place, push or throw the ball
with his arm or hand into touch, touch-in-goal, or over the dead ball line.[/LAWS]

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
yes he did cheating bugger ref missed that one too :wink:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

Yes Tait illegally locked the ball out touch in goal, right in front of AR.. It did not look like san attempted catch by an England International fullback. Banahan did make a small gesture to indicatebasbsuch, but neither Ref or AR reacted. Surely worth a TMO look at least, looked C&O to me.

Last edited:

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Yes Tait illegally locked the ball out touch in goal, right in front of AR.. It did not look like san attempted catch by an England International fullback. Banahan did make a small gesture to indicate as such, but neither Ref or AR reacted. Surely worth a TMO look at least, looked C&O to me.

My thoughts as well. Banahan's response was straight away and surely worth a look between all the officials. Maybe KLM could offer some insight as to whether he would of done anything differently such as offering MC a word in ones ear.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
My thoughts as well. Banahan's response was straight away and surely worth a look between all the officials. Maybe KLM could offer some insight as to whether he would of done anything differently such as offering MC a word in ones ear.

Matty; have you been reading the "Should of" thread?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes

And by way of follow-up to RobLev's mischievous post #13, let's not forget the apostrophe in the penultimate word.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Yes Tait illegally locked the ball out touch in goal, right in front of AR.. It did not look like san attempted catch by an England International fullback. Banahan did make a small gesture to indicatebasbsuch, but neither Ref or AR reacted. Surely worth a TMO look at least, looked C&O to me.

Its the sort of decision that often goes the way of the home side.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
And by way of follow-up to RobLev's mischievous post #13, let's not forget the apostrophe in the penultimate word.

Somebody gets it...

Dickie E/Browner/Adam - matty has used "w/should of" in successive posts, which seemed to me to be deliberate and inviting a comment - I left it mischievous, rather than pull out my grammar police warrant card.

And now to return to your regularly scheduled programme...

Last edited:

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I don't see a problem you no

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Its the sort of decision that often goes the way of the home side.

Indeed, there is statistical evidence to support your hypothesis. I looked into this years ago and found some UK and US PhD research on it - goodness knows where !

Quick Google brings up Here

Psychologists call this influence conformity. And you can see how it happens. If 70,000 fans scream for a decision it can reinforce the referee's first impression of an incident. Or it can make them subconsciously decide to get the crowd off their backs by giving them what they want.

And to spice up the discussion : "On the other end of the scale, video evidence – while not to everyone's taste – can help. When the instant-replay challenge was introduced to the NFL in 1999 it led to a 29.4% drop in home advantage. In football the effect could be even greater: because the game is low scoring, one decision – a penalty, red card or offside goal – is more likely to affect the result."

A second cricket example here

"The findings, published by the Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, come amid renewed debate on whether neutral umpires are still required in Test cricket following the emergence of Decision Review System (DRS)."

A third is UK Football Premiership 2012/13 here

"bias per team home and away games, not just home"

And another football one from 2006 here

"Researchers looking at the fouls awarded in 2,500 Premier League matches in 1996-97 and 2002-03 found the supposedly impartial men in black favour the home side. Worse still for teams considered the underdogs, they are likely to be on the receiving end of some of the poorest decisions — home or away."

And a final football study here
"It’s official: The referee’s a homer, and ‘Fergie-time’ is a reality"

and talking of homer referees

homer-referee.jpg