[Mini/Midi] Let's ban an 11 year old for life

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
My facebook feed is full of people saying that we need to get tough and ban this 11 year old from rugby for life. I don't know what is worse; that an 11 year old would hit a referee, or those that are saying he should be banned from rugby for life.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...-from-rugby-after-allegedly-attacking-referee

Actually I do know, it is the adults talking about punishing a person for life for something they did as an 11 year old. What is the world coming to?

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Sounds like there is a huge problem. I think they need to look at the home for reasons that's happened.
I can evidence adelesant behavioural actions till the cows come home.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Life ban commuted to 12 months after good behaviour.

Everyone happy?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
My facebook feed is full of people saying that we need to get tough and ban this 11 year old from rugby for life. I don't know what is worse; that an 11 year old would hit a referee, or those that are saying he should be banned from rugby for life.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...-from-rugby-after-allegedly-attacking-referee

Actually I do know, it is the adults talking about punishing a person for life for something they did as an 11 year old. What is the world coming to?

When a 12 year old and a 13 year old are charged with aggravated robbery and murder, it makes an 11 year old hitting a referee pale into insignificance somewhat!!

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/305469/boy-charged-murder-after-auckland-dairy-stabbing

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I wonder whether the kid has .... "issues".

I know one kid who used to play in an Youth side, who had behavioural problems (never hit a Ref though) and although everyone says he was Ok, I am convinced there is something wrong there.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
South Auckland itself has issues as a region. I don't think you can fairly single out their youth rugby programme for special attention.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Mental note...do not accept a referee exchange to South Auckland.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
In most of mainland Europe their age of criminal responsibility is set at at least 12, if not 14 or higher, and they often think that the Anglo-Saxon world is being ridiculous and barbaric by setting it lower. Food for thought.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Re: Re : Let's ban an 11 year old for life

In most of mainland Europe their age of criminal responsibility is set at at least 12, if not 14 or higher, and they often think that the Anglo-Saxon world is being ridiculous and barbaric by setting it lower. Food for thought.

A blanket cut off doesn't really make sense : there are crimes that 12 year olds certainly understand perfectly well. There are other crimes that they wouldn't. In practice I think every country allows leeway in what actions are actually prosecuted, and what penalties are actually applied.

An 11 year old - of any nationality, anglo-saxon or not - would certainly understand that he shouldn't assault a referee. He may not completely understand exactly how serious an offence it is.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Re : Re: Re : Let's ban an 11 year old for life

A blanket cut off doesn't really make sense : there are crimes that 12 year olds certainly understand perfectly well. There are other crimes that they wouldn't. In practice I think every country allows leeway in what actions are actually prosecuted, and what penalties are actually applied.

Not when the age of criminal responsibility is involved. That's kind of the point of having it; you can't prosecute someone under the age of criminal responsibility. It's an absolute presumption of every legal system that has such a concept that someone under the age of responsibility cannot be found guilty of a crime.

An 11 year old - of any nationality, anglo-saxon or not - would certainly understand that he shouldn't assault a referee. He may not completely understand exactly how serious an offence it is.

And this is exactly why Sweden, for instance, sets the age of responsibility at 15. That doesn't mean that they just shrug and wave the kid on; see here for the Swedish reaction to a 10-year-old who killed another child, but the emphasis is entirely on rehabilitation and not punishment.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
South Auckland itself has issues as a region. .

back in the day when i hitch hiked constantly around NZ, one of the rules of thumb was that when hitching south out of Auckland you only took a ride that was going SOUTH of Auckland

didds

Last edited:

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
... What is the world coming to?
On-line haters are a bad breed ; they should take a good look at their own behaviour before ranting on about others. Many reported cases of people taking their own lives following "mauling" by such arseholes. Not defending the 11 year old, but whatever punishment he deserves, it doesn't include verbal abuse for passing STRaNGe adults.

A few seasons back we had a 6 year old get in trouble for punching another player at a mini rugby training session. When his old man turned up (reeking of whiskey) he lashed out at the boy. We quickly realised the child was only reproducing behaviour from the family home. His Dad was a decent bloke and had been helping us out all season, up until that incident ; which saw them both banned from the club. Following a visit from the Social worker the next week, he returned to the club accompanied by his missus, and apoligised to the coaching staff.

Last edited:

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Maybe she threatened to beat him (again), if he didn't :biggrin: !
The guy was a former boxer, I get the feeling that (sadly) he was the one lashing out. Domestic violence is no laughing matter. I think his missus realised that
i) helping at the club was good for both him and the kids.
ii) that she naively thought the ban would be overlooked, to give him a second chance.

I drove him, his two boys and the family car home, to diffuse the situation in the clubhouse, on the day of the incident , as the bloke felt everybody was set against him. Thankfully he was genuinely a good bloke underneath & gave me his car keys.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Not sure why the constituent body are getting involved?

Here in the UK it is my understanding that issues such as this for a lad so young are dealt with at the Club/School level.

On a separate note, one has to question the involvement of the coaching staff and the assistance they were affording the match official? After all the coaches will know the temperament of their players and, as the report alludes, if there had been some shenanigans one would hope that the coaches would have been involved in some "chats" with the referee regarding the temper of the game? Whilst I am not advocating not issuing YCs at youth rugby one does have the opportunity to 'manage substitutions' for the benefit of all concerned.

Whilst this is a serious breach of protocol I hope the lad is dealt with fairly and that the referee is afforded the appropriate levels of support as well.