Lifting Straps

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Let us see now,.... Nope, not shorts. Not underwear either. They are not socks, shoes or a jersy.

I guess it's a big NO from here.

Surely they haven't been approved by the IRB yet have they?

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Let us see now,.... Nope, not shorts. Not underwear either. They are not socks, shoes or a jersy.

I guess it's a big NO from here.

Surely they haven't been approved by the IRB yet have they?

However they are neoprene supports, which I believe are ok?

Iron_Lung

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
How are supports like this any different from lifting tape? It's not like they are hard or have sharp edges, they probably wouldn't make it harder to tackle someone, a la leggings, so why would you have an issue with it? I also suppose it depends if you want to use them for games or training. As a training tool it would have to make it easier for line out jumpers as you wouldn't have to waste tape every time you wanted to train.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Ooooh, Kooga and kit.

Shirts with sternum pads. Legal or not? IRB endorsed or not?
I've written to both Kooga USA and USA Rugby Laws Committee.

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sternum pads are ok and IRB approved 'if removable' as they are legal for women to wear.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
.... Surely they haven't been approved by the IRB yet have they?
Somehow I can't believe that a rugby kit supplier like Kooga would waste money and effort manufacturing these without checking that they were legal first.

4.1 ADDITIONAL ITEMS OF CLOTHING
(a) A player may wear supports made of elasticated or compressible materials which must be washable.

As has been said, what's the difference between these and the mome made version made from insulation lagging and bandages?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Sternum pads are ok and IRB approved 'if removable' as they are legal for women to wear.

My understanding of IRb Reg 12 is that sternum pads are allowed for women but not men. Hence they must be removed for a man to wear them in a rugby union match.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Legal items of clothing are shirt, shorts, socks, underwear, supports, padding.

* - this thing isn't really a support it's just called a support in order to make it legal.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
My understanding of IRb Reg 12 is that sternum pads are allowed for women but not men. Hence they must be removed for a man to wear them in a rugby union match.
Unless the man is called Morne Steyn, in which case they are permissible (though it might be that as a #10, he is an honorary girl).

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes
THat is what I was trying to say in a back to front way! The garments are IRB approved because the sternum pad can be removed for a man but left in place for a woman so meeting the Regulation. The fact they are not removed by most men is irrelevant to the fact they meet IRB criteria!

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... * - this thing isn't really a support it's just called a support in order to make it legal.
But if refs allow a home made version of the same thing (made from cut up lagging and bandages) why wouldn't they allow this?

Last edited:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
But if refs allow a home made version of the same thing (made from but up lagging and bandages) why wouldn't they allow this?

I agree. But I also note that if a pair of supports like these were extended a few cm so as to reach from socks to shorts they would be indistinguishable from leggings.... that would be a poser :wink:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I agree. But I also note that if a pair of supports like these were extended a few cm so as to reach from socks to shorts they would be indistinguishable from leggings.... that would be a poser :wink:
Only a poser would wear these anyway!

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
looks good to me and will save beleagured kit men around the country a fortune in strapping and tape

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Unless the man is called Morne Steyn, in which case they are permissible (though it might be that as a #10, he is an honorary girl).

Or Gio Aplon.

Really any of the Saffas will wear a lot of padding compared to other nations.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Naas Botha used to wear HUGE pads in the 1980s which was very unusual as:-

i) they were illegal

ii) he never tackle anyone in his career.

:biggrin:

Ever!

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
But if refs allow a home made version of the same thing (made from cut up lagging and bandages) why wouldn't they allow this?
Cut up lagging and tape. :chin: Certainly not what the women I coach make their lifting supports from! Anyone got the stomach to find out? :booty:

JohnP

Post Likes
You wouldn't be referring to the use of a tampon would you. I will own up to using them for my second row at times! In fact one of the mums bought her lad a box for Xmas to save me the cost!