Line out History

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I am pretty certain that there are at least a couple of French Top14 hookers who still throw with one hand.
I remember when wingers threw in. Not when I played, but early 70s eg John Bevan Wales. Bevan was a contemporary of Bobby Windsor (Hooker) who also threw in so God knows what happened then?? Perhaps Bevan moved to Warrington RL to save a fight with Windsor! I know I would. :)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
except of course he (allegedly) didn't award it for the jump but a "push"

allegedly.

front jumper, inside arm push.
more interestingly though - the kicker of that final penalty to win the game for NZ was this bloke batting

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
except of course he (allegedly) didn't award it for the jump but a "push"

allegedly.

front jumper, inside arm push.
more interestingly though - the kicker of that final penalty to win the game for NZ was this bloke batting

I never knew that.

What goes around comes around.

McKechnie looks less happy in the 2nd video???

I always thought Chappell (both) was lucky not to get McKechnie's bat round his ear never mind thrown angrily down the track. :ROFLMAO:

Just watched it to the end. I forgot what a top bloke Richie Benaud was!

Last edited:

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
At elite level I would hazard a guess that teams win a lower percentage of their own lineouts than they do scrums.

But would be happy to be corrected by someone with actual data?
Because the lineout throw is straighter?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I never knew that.

What goes around comes around.

McKechnie looks less happy in the 2nd video???

I always thought Chappell (both) was lucky not to get McKechnie's bat round his ear never mind thrown angrily down the track. :ROFLMAO:

Just watched it to the end. I forgot what a top bloke Richie Benaud was!

backtrack a little in that video and watch Rod marsh's reaction when he hears what is about to happen - about 45 seconds video time.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Which of course meant very few throws actually reached the player they were intended for.
And indeed, it was not clear they were intended for a specific player.
Sorry but this bit is nonsense. Cardiff and Wales had a guy Called Bob Norster who although not the tallest was pretty dominant for a number of years The ball was thrown to him and he caught it!

I as a winger in school in the 60s / 70s aimed to a player. Others were better at it than me but we all aimed for a target according to the calls. Most found their target. Some of us did not.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Sorry but this bit is nonsense. Cardiff and Wales had a guy Called Bob Norster who although not the tallest was pretty dominant for a number of years The ball was thrown to him and he caught it!

I as a winger in school in the 60s / 70s aimed to a player. Others were better at it than me but we all aimed for a target according to the calls. Most found their target. Some of us did not.
Whilst Norster was not the tallest Wkipedi suggests he was as tall as lots of his international contemporaries eg Donal Lenihan, Gary Whetton, Alan Tomes, Jean Condom etc. His team mate Huw Richards who replaced him in 1987 RWC was the same height although everyone on the field was taller than Richards after Wayne Shelford laid him out in the semi-final 🤣

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I remember throwing to either Front, Middle or (rarely) Back - not sure I was aiming at a specific player (looking back, perhaps that was where I went wrong :) )

I am I right that in those days all the players had to stand a 1m apart? This meant that 'back' was rather a long way away.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
No he didn't. Footage of the incident shows that a Welsh player had a hand on an opponent's shoulder to hold him down. The referee pointed to it as he awarded the PK.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I remember throwing to either Front, Middle or (rarely) Back - not sure I was aiming at a specific player (looking back, perhaps that was where I went wrong :) )

I am I right that in those days all the players had to stand a 1m apart? This meant that 'back' was rather a long way away.
Without looking at LotG there appears to be no 15m line before (late?) 70s and participants do seem rather congaesque in terms of how they line up.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
No he didn't. Footage of the incident shows that a Welsh player had a hand on an opponent's shoulder to hold him down. The referee pointed to it as he awarded the PK.
yup.

1669394135716.png

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Yes Wheel was illegal at the front and a clear dive in the middle. The ref saw the front and not the middle.

Locke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
which one was material? ;-)
If I saw both today, I’d strongly consider “reversing” and awarding the penalty to the team who didn’t dive.
I’ve stated similar opinions in this forum a few times, to general disagreement, but I can’t stand that kind of stuff.

“Captain, you had a penalty coming for your player being pushed down in the lineout, but the very unsportsmanlike display has resulted in a penalty awarded to red instead. If I see it happen again in this game, the consequences will be more serious.”