McCaw "stamp"?

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
To my obvious detriment I have lately been visiting some of the more unsavoury rugby forums of the internet, where the following incident is being held up as a great example of thuggery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdKLIQxU52U

Does anyone think this is worthy of a :norc:? A :noyc:? Or a penalty?

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Poite was looking right at it, if he thought it was worth something he would've done something about it.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
McCaw put his foot on the ball and raked it back to his scrum-half

This is called "rucking". Some of you might remember it

There are only a few of us around who are old enough to remember when this was the ONLY way you were allowed to get the ball out of a ruck.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
McCaw put his foot on the ball and raked it back to his scrum-half

This is called "rucking". Some of you might remember it

There are only a few of us around who are old enough to remember when this was the ONLY way you were allowed to get the ball out of a ruck.
It is somewhat blurry, but I do not see it that way. The amount of force he used is surely not required to get the ball out if it is free. If it isn't free, then the danger of injuring a player is too great to ignore. PK at least.

I am old enough to remember when it was regarded as "fun" to ruck the opposition and am thoroughly glad those days are long past.

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
McCaw makes no contact with the ball. Also, there is no need for rucking because the ball is still held by Messam and it's about 2 feet in front of McCaw's right foot. Roman Poite can't see it either because of his positioning as he is directly behind Weepu.

IR1ly.png

IJ2qS.png

DTWFE.png

1qcQA.png

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Happened right in front of the referee.

No PK
No complaints from any players or anyone connected with the Argentina management
No citing

Nothing to see here folks, just another round of "McCaw bashing" (*** yawn ***)

Move along.....

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

No PK
No complaints from any players or anyone connected with the Argentina management
No citing

Move along.....

Your compatriot started it.

Rucking - yes I remember it - so does JPR Williams and no doubt John Ashworth! :biggrin:

View attachment 2231

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
... whose view was blocked by the scrum half.

No PK
No citing

Move along.....
Keep trying! :biggrin: (Very trying :tongue:)

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
To be fair to Richie, Argentina wore jerseys similar in colour to the ball:wink:

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Thats right on the edge of what I call."player housekeeping" Would be hard to call live in a game and if I saw it to be honest I think I would play on....

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
...or become unsighted behind a scrum half?

:biggrin:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Thats right on the edge of what I call."player housekeeping" Would be hard to call live in a game and if I saw it to be honest I think I would play on....
I am uncomfortable with "player housekeeping" - it sounds too much like taking the law into their own hands. In particular I don't like players finding excuses for using their boots on another player.

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I am uncomfortable with "player housekeeping" - it sounds too much like taking the law into their own hands. In particular I don't like players finding excuses for using their boots on another player.

Thats why I said on the edge... In every game you need a bit of player co operation to enable the game to flow, especialy around the fringes of ruck and maul, We all have our own ideas of what we will put up with and that clip is right on the edge

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Thats why I said on the edge... In every game you need a bit of player co operation to enable the game to flow, especialy around the fringes of ruck and maul, We all have our own ideas of what we will put up with and that clip is right on the edge
It's one area where i am not in favour of allowing any latitude. But at my levels it's a different game.

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Sure is OB your at the real game

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes

It always amuses me how the supporters of one team will be yelling "Get him out of there", or "Give him a shoeing", followed by "he deserved it for being there", when their player is in RMCs position but then scream for the player doing the "rucking" to be carded (either colour) if their guy is in the Argentina player's position.

Regarding the OP, the video is blurry. The stills paint a different picture. At my level, I would be treating it differently to Mr Poite. Although he seems to be right there, we cannot say exactly what he could see of the incident.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Over the duration of his international career, McCaw has been the target of some very violent treatment. He has been regularly punched, pushed, stamped, kneed, elbowed, throttled, speared, kicked, head-butted, eye-gouged and bitten. This has happened because he plays the game at the very edge of legality, and sometimes over it (he's not doing his job properly if he isn't), and opponents become frustrated with him.

These acts of violence against him have always been swept under the carpet, the perpetrators have got off scot free (Quade Cooper, Aurelien Rougerie, Lote Turquiri, Phil Waugh etc), and McCaw has never once complained about it. In fact, he has kept quiet about it so as not to detract from the occasion (the Rougerie eye-gouge for example)

But the moment he "might" have touched an opponent with his boot, everyone wants him crucified.

Its tiresome, its boring and its a big fat yawn. The attitude of some on this forum really makes me want to puke!

Your compatriot started it.

Rucking - yes I remember it - so does JPR Williams and no doubt John Ashworth! :biggrin:

McCaw is an honorable man and a clean player. Drawing a comparison between he and a thug like Ashworth (remember, I have actually played against the latter!) is despicable.

I expect better from you, regardless of your inane use of a smiley.

Last edited:

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
My view of it is that McCaw was undoubtedly rucking for the ball but missed the ball by quite some margin and got the Argie on the ground. It was a bit reckless and deserving of a penalty. I can't see an argument for any more than that though. And I certainly can't see that it reached the RC threshold for a citing.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Ian_Cook;216190But the moment he "might" have touched an opponent with his boot said:
I think you are over reacting here Ian. We all understand that you will defend RMC to the death but this was simply a question (the OP) by one of your fellow AB supporters about a possible unsavory incident seemingly right in front of the referee that went unnoticed. I would say that the thread would still have been started even if it wasn't RMC allegedly doing the shoeing.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I am trying to find a picture of a bleeding heart or a tiny violin.
I am almost in tears.
Poor Richie :cry: