McCaw "stamp"?

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
My view of it is that McCaw was undoubtedly rucking for the ball but missed the ball by quite some margin and got the Argie on the ground. It was a bit reckless and deserving of a penalty. I can't see an argument for any more than that though. And I certainly can't see that it reached the RC threshold for a citing.

Agree. At least a PK. Poite seems to be in a position to see it.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
now now mods, behave yourselves ;)

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Me reckons Ian was probably a rocker

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Me reckons Ian was probably a rocker

Nope, a mod. It's Phil who's off his rocker!

(witty enough comeback for ya Phil? :booty:)

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I agree with Dave Clark, play nicely boys. Debate is healthy, arguments are not. This forum is very tolerant of opinions. But needs some respect of each others opinions to work.

We are all passionate about some things, and we know Ian defends the AB's when he believes they are right. (So stop fishing Phil :biggrin:).

And Ian, sometimes you make yourself too easy a target for the wind up merchants on the forum. In the immortal words of JP Doyle, Chillax.

As for my opinion on what McCaw was doing, I'm with womble and damo, looks initially like a ruck for the ball and then a way to show Poite that he's in the way. If I saw boots on body in my game i would be penalising it, but I would also be annoyed at myself as I obviously had not moved or penalised the player on the wrong side quick enough.

This is more a good illustration of why it is so important to get the tackler out first.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
And Ian, sometimes you make yourself too easy a target for the wind up merchants on the forum.

One the reason why I liked this forum in the first place was because, when I joined it seven years ago, it didn't have any wind up merchants

Sadly, that is no longer the case, and hasn't been for the last three or four years.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Yeah, the trend has certainly changed. I agree, but I suppose one advantage is that at least we know who they are.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
nothing

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
One the reason why I liked this forum in the first place was because, when I joined it seven years ago, it didn't have any wind up merchants

Sadly, that is no longer the case, and hasn't been for the last three or four years.
Yes. I find them boring, but I don't expect they care what I think.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
As for my opinion on what McCaw was doing, I'm with womble and damo, looks initially like a ruck for the ball and then a way to show Poite that he's in the way. If I saw boots on body in my game i would be penalising it, but I would also be annoyed at myself as I obviously had not moved or penalised the player on the wrong side quick enough.

This is more a good illustration of why it is so important to get the tackler out first.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

As a ref - if a player on the wrong side got shoed I always felt it was my fault.

He's on the wrong side, he's already slowed the ball down, no advantage is probable, and we have a flashpoint - just blow the damn whistle, sharpish!

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I am uncomfortable with "player housekeeping" - it sounds too much like taking the law into their own hands. In particular I don't like players finding excuses for using their boots on another player.

OB - I know it as "player management" and it has been around for as long as I played. Maybe I just got used to my treatment in West Country and Wales - usually deserved for deliberate infringements at tackle / ruck, and am still sympathetic to old fashioned rucking, but not deliberate use of boots.

These days we do not have the 'enforcers' of old, so that end of the spectrum is removed. But I still see both opposition and team-mates undergo 'player management'. For example Rob Fidler of Old Pats (ex-Gloucester) is an enthuiastic participant still.

As to this specfic incident I saw RM reminding the Argentinian player of his roll- way requirement, as the referee had not done so effectively enough. All part of the cut and thrust of playing at elite and national league levels.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
PK at best...

"players on the floor are my responsibility thank you gentlemen, back 10!"

As soon as I started reading this post i knew Ian would be in like a shot, i'm just suprised he wasn't asking for a YC the other way for a player being under RMC's feet :wink:

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
OB - I know it as "player management" and it has been around for as long as I played. Maybe I just got used to my treatment in West Country and Wales - usually deserved for deliberate infringements at tackle / ruck, and am still sympathetic to old fashioned rucking, but not deliberate use of boots.

These days we do not have the 'enforcers' of old, so that end of the spectrum is removed. But I still see both opposition and team-mates undergo 'player management'. For example Rob Fidler of Old Pats (ex-Gloucester) is an enthuiastic participant still.

As to this specfic incident I saw RM reminding the Argentinian player of his roll- way requirement, as the referee had not done so effectively enough. All part of the cut and thrust of playing at elite and national league levels.

Maybe it's something to do with playing in the southwest.... It's where I played all of my rugby and the transition into refereeing was reasonably easy, the further east you went the easier it became!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
... and am still sympathetic to old fashioned rucking, but not deliberate use of boots.
There seems to be a subtle distinction there that I do not understand. I have no sympathy for using boots on players.

It is a long time since I saw Rob Fidler play - probably before the law changed in 1996 !

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Maybe it's something to do with playing in the southwest.... It's where I played all of my rugby and the transition into refereeing was reasonably easy, the further east you went the softer it became!

there you go, fixed that for you!

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
PK at best...

"players on the floor are my responsibility thank you gentlemen, back 10!"

As soon as I started reading this post i knew Ian would be in like a shot, i'm just suprised he wasn't asking for a YC the other way for a player being under RMC's feet :wink:

Might have damaged his studs. Naughty Argie.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
There seems to be a subtle distinction there that I do not understand. I have no sympathy for using boots on players.

No-one has ever died, ended up in a wheelchair or been seriously injured from a few tag marks on the back or arms from being rucked, unlike from a collapsed scrum or a badly executed tackle.

The objection to boots on bodies was largely a nanny state, PC over-reaction in the mid 1990's because in some quarters it was thought to be not a good look for the game; Mummies and Daddies might not like it when they see Little Johnny being raked back with a boot, and they might be dissuaded from allowing him to play with the other boys as a result.

If you can't ruck ball killers out of the way, then I advocate dragging them out by their arms or legs or whatever bit you can get hold of them by (except the head and neck of course). Unlike rucking players, dragging them out of a ruck perfectly legal.

(OB.. - yes, yes we know about Ken Catchpole and Colin Meads. That was a Maul not a Ruck, and it IS illegal to drag a player out of a Maul)