Narrow studs

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
While I agree in principal - the issue in "non-rugby" countries is simple. Getting hold of rugby boots is very difficult. I would guess that if we were really strict on this, then in some games over 50% of players would not play. Games would not happen. Players would go play something else.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
So where are we with Nike new narrow studs? Frankly I don't know and without testing equipment I would not be able to judge. Are they more dangerous? I really don't know.

I don't know if they are more dangerous either. But I am being told by the IRFU that they are and that will do me!!

Attachments

• Nike Narrow Top Studs -1.jpg
    Nike Narrow Top Studs -1.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 146
  • Nike Narrow Top Studs - 2.jpg
    Nike Narrow Top Studs - 2.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
I don't know if they are more dangerous either. But I am being told by the IRFU that they are and that will do me!!

Have the IRFU actually put it in writing that thee studs are more dangerous? If so can U post that communication?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Have the IRFU actually put it in writing that thee studs are more dangerous? If so can U post that communication?

Actually, no they haven't and I am wrong to suggest they have.

However they have put in writing that they are illegal!

I am not technically proficient enough to post the email here but will quote an excerpt....

Quote...It has come to our (IRFU Referees department) attention that the studs in the Nike boot shown in the attached photos do not conform to the IRB's regulation 12 and as such are illegal.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Studs2.jpg

Well I'm off work bored at the moment so I thought I'd take a look at my legal boots and compare them to my son's football boots.
At First glance the football boots seem OK but in fact although the studs are not sharp or burred the are illegal according to reg 12.
I wonder how many on here would let them go? to be honest I probably would

Anyway, just been to poundland and bought some spanners/stud gauges which will help me justify my decisions when I don't let people on the pitch with dangerous studs

Accylad

Referees in England
Post Likes
We have some advise.

This has been taken to Steve Harland. Steve has said that this issue has been passed by RFU to WR. This issue has come up at Premiership level with the complication of players sponsored by Nike wanting to use the kit their sponsors pay them to use.....

For the time being I was told just to make sure the studs are not sharp until WR make a ruling.

So! Some clarity at least. This advise will be distributed to Gloucester and District refs at our next meeting I beleive.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... This issue has come up at Premiership level with the complication of players sponsored by Nike wanting to use the kit their sponsors pay them to use...
And there's nothing stopping the Premiership players using the kit their sponsors pay them to use .... as long as they change the studs to legal studs.

I'm afraid I can't see what's complicated about it.

Have the IRFU actually put it in writing that thee studs are more dangerous?
Common sense tells you that narrow studs are going to sting more than studs which conform to Regulation 12.

Imagine you were at the bottom of a ruck, and were being "raked" - firstly by narrow illegal studs and secondly by proper rugby studs, conforming to Regulation 12. Which one do you think will hurt most?

Last edited:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
so is this the confirmation we're waiting for? taken from ........

Introduction:
Welcome to the 7th Match Official Update for the 2014-15 season.

Players Clothing – studs of players’ boots
Following recent questions from different parts of the country, it is timely to re-iterate,
Law 4 – Players Clothing, particularly as this relates to studs of players’ boots.
The World Rugby Rugby Committee has stated that Studs of players’ boots must conform with World Rugby Specifications (Regulation 12) and Law 4.3.
Law 4.3 – Studs states that:
a) Studs of players’ boots must conform with the World Rugby Specifications (Regulation 12).
b) Moulded rubber multi-studded soles are acceptable provided they have no sharp edges or ridges.
Unions are requested to remind Referees in their jurisdiction that they are obliged in accordance with World Rugby Law 4.5 to inspect player’s clothing and studs for conformity to the Laws and Regulations of the Game.
If the referee decides that the clothing does not conform with Law or Regulation and in the case of studs specifically, the studs are burring, sharp or abrasive or liable to cause injury to a player then the referee must order the player to remove it or them (or, as appropriate change boots).
The player must not take part in the match until the offending items of clothing are removed.
In summary;
1. There are no longer any restrictions on the configuration of studs or use of blades;
2. Studs, when present, must comply with World Rugby Regulation 12;
3. Referees must be vigilant to ensure that studs with sharp or abrasive edges are not worn.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Those Nike Boots

So since the thread above who's been making players change these boots? I for one have, however I do feel a bit of a jobsworth :shrug: in the last week I have reffed an academy u17's match, 6 players had these Nike boots and when I told them they couldn't play with them they ALL said, but I've been playing in them for weeks/months etc. Sunday I was a spectator at the Wellington International Festival and could see at least one player in every side wearing them. And then of course to top it off at the weekend in the Euro matches there are various players wearing them.........

Although I'm going to stick to my guns on not letting players wear them for my last 2/3 matches of the season, you do feel a bit of a prat!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Those Nike Boots

Sunday I was a spectator at the Wellington International Festival and could see at least one player in every side wearing them. And then of course to top it off at the weekend in the Euro matches there are various players wearing them.........

They could be wearing the boots, but have changed the studs?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Those Nike Boots

So since the thread above who's been making players change these boots? I for one have, however I do feel a bit of a jobsworth :shrug: in the last week I have reffed an academy u17's match, 6 players had these Nike boots and when I told them they couldn't play with them they ALL said, but I've been playing in them for weeks/months etc. Sunday I was a spectator at the Wellington International Festival and could see at least one player in every side wearing them. And then of course to top it off at the weekend in the Euro matches there are various players wearing them.........

Although I'm going to stick to my guns on not letting players wear them for my last 2/3 matches of the season, you do feel a bit of a prat!

And whilst this subject continues to be 'not addressed' through non specific identification of the problem ( ie... 'generally' worded memos don't address). Then this problem won't go away. Keep insisting, its the only way to get the message across. Referees that wilfully ignore this subject instead choosing easy life, likely ignore other safety issues.

I've taken to addressing this subject as soon as I arrive, telling captains that there is an issue with some Nike studs so I want an early studs check , & he should prepare his players.

I'm seeing average c.1.5 per match !

Last edited:

Dan_A

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Introduction:
Welcome to the 7th Match Official Update for the 2014-15 season.

Players Clothing – studs of players’ boots
Following recent questions from different parts of the country, it is timely to re-iterate,
Law 4 – Players Clothing, particularly as this relates to studs of players’ boots.
The World Rugby Rugby Committee has stated that Studs of players’ boots must conform with World Rugby Specifications (Regulation 12) and Law 4.3.
Law 4.3 – Studs states that:
a) Studs of players’ boots must conform with the World Rugby Specifications (Regulation 12).
b) Moulded rubber multi-studded soles are acceptable provided they have no sharp edges or ridges.
Unions are requested to remind Referees in their jurisdiction that they are obliged in accordance with World Rugby Law 4.5 to inspect player’s clothing and studs for conformity to the Laws and Regulations of the Game.
If the referee decides that the clothing does not conform with Law or Regulation and in the case of studs specifically, the studs are burring, sharp or abrasive or liable to cause injury to a player then the referee must order the player to remove it or them (or, as appropriate change boots).
The player must not take part in the match until the offending items of clothing are removed.
In summary;
1. There are no longer any restrictions on the configuration of studs or use of blades;
2. Studs, when present, must comply with World Rugby Regulation 12;
3. Referees must be vigilant to ensure that studs with sharp or abrasive edges are not worn.

Please could someone explain the difference between "ridges" on moulded soles (that are illegal) and "blades" that are legal?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Please could someone explain the difference between "ridges" on moulded soles (that are illegal) and "blades" that are legal?

Its an ambiguity in the phrasing.
I read the reg as

b) Moulded rubber multi-studded soles are acceptable provided they have no sharp [edges or ridges]
so there is no problem with ridges as long as they aren't sharp.

you are reading it as
b) Moulded rubber multi-studded soles are acceptable provided they have no [sharp edges] or [ridges].

either could be correct, I suppose.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

It's not ridges that are illegal.
It's sharp ridges that are illegal.

In the same way blades are ok, but sharp blades are not.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
cuts.jpg
View attachment 3173

Well I'm off work bored at the moment so I thought I'd take a look at my legal boots and compare them to my son's football boots.
At First glance the football boots seem OK but in fact although the studs are not sharp or burred the are illegal according to reg 12.
I wonder how many on here would let them go? to be honest I probably would

Anyway, just been to poundland and bought some spanners/stud gauges which will help me justify my decisions when I don't let people on the pitch with dangerous studs

This is what my lads illegal boots did to one of his work colleagues total accident in a football kick about after worK