National Schools Sevens

sgoat

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
So who is going this year?

I am down for all 4 days for the first time. Not sure where yet as the info was sent to my home, and I am currently still up North.

The website has a great picture on the front page that'll get crossref going again!

david3698.jpg

You can however take comfort in this notice on the News page:
OFFICIAL NOTICE TO ALL PLAYERS

The use of leggings/tights/skins has been outlawed by the IRB as from 1st March 2010 and ratified by the R.F.U.
Therefore the use of the above is NOT allowed at the National Sevens.
This applies equally to the BOYS and GIRLS tournaments

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
what do they think happened on 1 March 2010 ????? they must have received one of those secret emails...

Here's the link http://www.ns7.co.uk/

on a serious note is does show how badly this is communicated: there is no IRB ruling of 1st Mar 2010, and consequently can have been no RFU ratification either.

Also - it's a high tackle!

Last edited:

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I gather they don't give shirts out to the refs any more? Was always a nice souvenir.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
what do they think happened on 1 March 2010 ????? they must have received one of those secret emails...

Here's the link http://www.ns7.co.uk/

on a serious note is does show how badly this is communicated: there is no IRB ruling of 1st Mar 2010, and consequently can have been no RFU ratification either.

Also - it's a high tackle!

indeed there was a personal email sent 01March2007 from IRB to Dave Broadwell of RFU, in response to his direct question about leggings, which he communicated to the organisers of the National Schools (and they to the schools involved and in the event programme) and thru the RFU Refs Dept to Society Secretaries.

There was also a specific item about leggings not being allowed at the 2010 Referees and Team Managers' briefing.

I call that pretty good communication !

The use of a leggings wearing player picture is somewhat amusing though and no one told the web designer probably !

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
indeed there was a personal email sent 01March2007 from IRB to Dave Broadwell of RFU, in response to his direct question about leggings

- so they were not outlawed by the IRB from 1 March 2010
- why on earth was the email 'personal' . Is that different from secret?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
so they were not outlawed by the IRB from 1 March 2010

without going over old ground - the IRB have a Law in the good book and clothing Regulation, and they issued a general clarification, plus the answer to DB - the outlawed word was used by the National Schools organisers.

why on earth was the email 'personal' . Is that different from secret ?

because Dave Broadwell is RFU Referee Manager London & SE (full time employee) and is official RFU National Refs Dept laison with IRB Law Committee / Management. Not secret, just that as in all things in life and work, we all try to delegate and filter communications, then cascade up and down as required. If we were all to receive every email, I would never read them. As it is I get up to 100 rugby emails per day that are RFU, Hampshire RFU, Hampshire Society related.

sgoat

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I am going to be:

Monday - Wimbledon
Tuesday - Richardson Evans
Wednesday - Asda
Thursday - Merton

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am going to be:

Monday - Wimbledon
Tuesday - Richardson Evans
Wednesday - Asda
Thursday - Merton

I will be at:

Monday - Asda
Tuesday - Asda (and either Sainsbury's or Waitrose on the way home)
Wednesday - Richardson-Evans
Thursday - Merton see yer there sgoat!
Friday - Exeter (collecting Miss Deeps from Uni for Easter break)

Deeps Junior will not be down this year and will be busy instead with his thesis work.

We have 7 Hampshire referees helping out this year.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
We have 7 Hampshire referees helping out this year.

Perhaps 8? as I have got:

Monday Wimbledon
Tuesday Richardson-Evans
Wednesday Merton
Thursday Richardson-Evans

Looking forward to my first NSS, and to trying to get there from the SW by public transport and, probably Shanks' Pony, hoping not to get too distracted on the way by the Wombles ...

sgoat

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Deeps Junior will not be down this year and will be busy instead with his thesis work.
As I will be the week after. 60 page project report due for the beginning of May.

Andy Evans

Referees in England
Post Likes
Having been referee organiser for the NS7s "a few seasons ago" (pre-Eric!), I'm gutted to read the news from Rose Tanner which you can see on www.ns7.co.uk

In April 2011 the operation of the National Schools’ Sevens was removed from my control by the Management Board of Rosslyn Park FC, which has decided that the tournament would in future be run by the Management Board.
Regrettably, therefore, I cannot assist with any information regarding the tournament which would normally be held in March 2012 and all enquiries in that regard should be directed to the Management Board at Rosslyn Park FC, its website www.rosslynpark.co.uk or the Rosslyn Park FC office 0208 876 6044.
I have organised the tournament for the last 23 years and my husband, Peter, has been involved for 46 years.
The tournament must be one of the biggest sporting success stories in modern history. I have been very proud to be the tournament organiser and have always carried out my duties in the best interests of the some 7,000 boys and girls who play in the tournament every year, their schools and clubs, Rugby Union itself and also Rosslyn Park FC.
I am disappointed to have my involvement brought to an end so unceremoniously and saddened by the unsubstantiated and incorrect allegations which Rosslyn Park FC chose to level at me during the period when the accounts of the tournament were being reconciled and handed over to the Management Board. I did not expect (or seek) to be honoured for my services over the past 23 years, but I did not expect to be maligned and hurt either.
Finally, I thank all the participants and contributors with whom I have had the pleasure of working over the last 23 years for making it such an enjoyable and memorable experience
Kind regards, Rose Tanner

I suspect that the tournament has "lost its identity" & wouldn't be too surprised if the unavailability of die-hard referees, not just in London, hastens it to an unnecessarily early grave.

peperami

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Having been referee organiser for the NS7s "a few seasons ago" (pre-Eric!), I'm gutted to read the news from Rose Tanner which you can see on www.ns7.co.uk

In April 2011 the operation of the National Schools’ Sevens was removed from my control by the Management Board of Rosslyn Park FC, which has decided that the tournament would in future be run by the Management Board.
Regrettably, therefore, I cannot assist with any information regarding the tournament which would normally be held in March 2012 and all enquiries in that regard should be directed to the Management Board at Rosslyn Park FC, its website www.rosslynpark.co.uk or the Rosslyn Park FC office 0208 876 6044.
I have organised the tournament for the last 23 years and my husband, Peter, has been involved for 46 years.
The tournament must be one of the biggest sporting success stories in modern history. I have been very proud to be the tournament organiser and have always carried out my duties in the best interests of the some 7,000 boys and girls who play in the tournament every year, their schools and clubs, Rugby Union itself and also Rosslyn Park FC.
I am disappointed to have my involvement brought to an end so unceremoniously and saddened by the unsubstantiated and incorrect allegations which Rosslyn Park FC chose to level at me during the period when the accounts of the tournament were being reconciled and handed over to the Management Board. I did not expect (or seek) to be honoured for my services over the past 23 years, but I did not expect to be maligned and hurt either.
Finally, I thank all the participants and contributors with whom I have had the pleasure of working over the last 23 years for making it such an enjoyable and memorable experience
Kind regards, Rose Tanner

I suspect that the tournament has "lost its identity" & wouldn't be too surprised if the unavailability of die-hard referees, not just in London, hastens it to an unnecessarily early grave.

What an absolutely shame

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Andy

Thanks for highlighting this.

Disgraceful !

I have known Peter and Rose a long time, and wish them both all the best. They are both lovely people and don't deserve to be treated like that.

Peter was the organiser when I played for school in 1974 and 1975 at the Rosslyn Park Sevens (as they were then called) on the Bank of England and Roehampton pitches.

I will be reviewing any further personal involvement with this tournament and urge others to do likewise.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Disgraceful !

only if it's known categorically that the allegations are untrue, surely. i've known people who have been accused of stuff that i would have considered unfathomable, only for it to have been proven.

(i have precisely zero knowledge of the individuals involved or the details of the allegations.)

Andy Evans

Referees in England
Post Likes
Andy

Thanks for highlighting this.

Disgraceful !

I have known Peter and Rose a long time, and wish them both all the best. They are both lovely people and don't deserve to be treated like that.

Peter was the organiser when I played for school in 1974 and 1975 at the Rosslyn Park Sevens (as they were then called) on the Bank of England and Roehampton pitches.

I will be reviewing any further personal involvement with this tournament and urge others to do likewise.

I suspect that there'll be many absent folk who knew how to make things work, particularly the diehards who have been ground managers for as long as, & I wonder whether there'll be sufficient first-aid cover!!