NatWest 6 Nations 2018 Championship - talking points

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If the PK is awarded on the 22 then it would go to the defending side so they could run up and take a quick tap except . . .

. . . I would expect to see time off for a word or a YC/RC.

What did happen?

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
If the PK is awarded on the 22 then it would go to the defending side

Not necessarily - it's quite possible for the defending team to commit the foul play after the ball was made dead.

Agreed that you'd likely be having at least a chat in any event.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's actually in interesting one
Blue grubber ball into Red in goal,
red defender makes it dead and then thumps a blue attacker and gets a YC

Where is the mark PK ?
It does seem a bit odd that blue get taken back 22m but I suppose that is what happens

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Why not?
[LAWS]20.1
Any infringement in in-goal or within five metres of a goal line.
PK In the field of play, five metres from the goal line, in line with the place of infringement.[/LAWS]

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It's actually in interesting one
Blue grubber ball into Red in goal,
red defender makes it dead and then thumps a blue attacker and gets a YC

Where is the mark PK ?
It does seem a bit odd that blue get taken back 22m but I suppose that is what happens

Not enough information.
It depends on whether the referee has blown his whistle to stop play or not.
Are we still playing, or is this an offence while the ball is out of play?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So by law the place is anywhere on the 22 between the 15m lines. Who decides? I would let the kicking team choose and not make them kick from the middle.

The answer is in the law I quoted.

If play would have restarted with a 22 drop-out,
the mark is anywhere on the 22-metre line (nonoffending
team decides).

L'irlandais

Post Likes
PREDICTIONS FOR THIS WEEKEND’S GAMES
Ireland 28 – 16 Scotland
France 18 – 24 England
*Italy 40 – 16 Italy
*Looks like Italy can’t lose.:italy:
Source:
Ireland’s thrilling win over Wales in the third round of the NatWest Six Nations has all but secured them the title, according to the QBE Rugby Predictor.

Not every nation believes one of the Home sides might lose this coming weekend.
Tournoi 2006: France 31 - 6 Angleterre
Or sweeter still the final match at Colombes in the 1972 Six Nations - France 37-12 England
All depends which French side turn up at the weekend, I guess.

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Not every nation believes one of the Home sides might lose this coming weekend.
All depends which French side turn up at the weekend, I guess.

I think England will be out to prove a point and France may be on the wrong end of that?

However, I wouldn't bet my house on it!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Interesting that whilst EJ appears to have made some "interesting" selection choices nonetheless the roundly castigated back row selection v Scotland remains

didds

L'irlandais

Post Likes
:hap: The Championship is Ireland’s to lose at the moment.
Ireland currently sit top of the Six Nations table, five points clear of nearest rivals England, and six ahead of this weekend’s opponents Scotland. If Ireland better England’s result this weekend then the Championship is over before we get to Twickenham.

Last edited:

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Source: Telegraph
Jaco Peyper had no alternative but to take the action he did once it was obvious that Watson had caught the Frenchman’s jaw. The law is quite clear on this point. As a referee, you first need to assess whether foul play has been committed...
I know this has been discussed elsewhere on the forum, but does everyone agree that once the ref cards the player, he then has no other option but to award the penalty try?

Sorry, the replay. (TMO confirms penalty try and Watson yellow card! | NatWest 6 Nations - YouTube) not available this side of the channel, due to rights restrictions. Click link to select, those in UK should be able to view the clip.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Source: Telegraph
Jaco Peyper had no alternative but to take the action he did once it was obvious that Watson had caught the Frenchman’s jaw. The law is quite clear on this point. As a referee, you first need to assess whether foul play has been committed...
I know this has been discussed elsewhere on the forum, but does everyone agree that once the ref cards the player, he then has no other option but to award the penalty try?

No it's the other way round .. if you award a PT for an act of foul play then you have to get your cards out

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Okay, thanks.
[LAWS]Law 8.3PENALTY TRY
A penalty try is awarded between the goal posts if foul play by the opposing team prevents a probable try from being scored, or scored in a more advantageous position. A player guilty of this must be cautioned and temporarily suspended or sent off.
[/LAWS]My imperfect memory of the action, is that Jaco explained it the other way around. High tackle, so Yellow and I now have to award the penalty try. Before trotting away from the enquiring England captain to go under the posts.

pedr

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
My memory is that he discussed “in the act of scoring” with the TMO and their consensus was that it was in the act of scoring therefore a PT. And because it was a PT it was a YC.

The commentators were effectively debating “beam me up” - someone suggesting it might not be a PT because it was a slightly high tackle which could have been a fair one, not preventing a try which couldn’t have been prevented by fair play. Which becomes an interesting debate given Peyper almost apologised for (at least one of) having to YC or PT. I think he used the word “unfortunate”.

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
No it's the other way round .. if you award a PT for an act of foul play then you have to get your cards out

Someone needs to shoot this canard.
You do NOT "have" to get your cards out. You get the cards out if the act is deliberate. The guidance on this is explicit.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Someone needs to shoot this canard.
You do NOT "have" to get your cards out. You get the cards out if the act is deliberate. The guidance on this is explicit.

Well, give me an example of a non deliberate act of Foul Play, for which you would give a PT but no YC ?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Well, give me an example of a non deliberate act of Foul Play, for which you would give a PT but no YC ?
Clarification 9 of 2004[LAWS][FONT=fs_blakeregular]If a penalty try is awarded as the result of a player unintentionally offending, the player, as well as being liable to cautioning and temporary suspension or send off, can be admonished by the referee. [/FONT]

[FONT=fs_blakeregular]Examples of this may be after penalty tries resulting from: [/FONT]
[FONT=fs_blakeregular]• mistimed tackle (early or late, but not dangerous) [/FONT]
[FONT=fs_blakeregular]• unintentional reactionary high tackle, but not dangerous.[/FONT][/LAWS]

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In practice I think that sort of thing in PT situation would be very rare, and the obvious and expected decsioosn , having given a PT for a dangerous tackle would be a YC

Mind you, as we have noted in the other thread , the 2018 law book removes the distinction between deliberate and non deliberate actions, and says they all get a YC .. which presumably supersedes the clarification from fourteen year ago