New Forum for Minis

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Probably because the"rugby" schools have no need of the RFU - they organise matches between themselves, and if if the RFU don't like it well, who cares?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
yes, the RFU need to get a grip.
I can't believe they waste their time with opinions about whether 12 yr olds should wear leggings, when they can't even get to a situation where they play the same Laws on Saturday as they do on Sunday.

(in our club, and in other clubs around us, we have pletny of 12 yr olds playing one set of Laws on Saturday and another set the following day with their club. When we had the ELVs we didn't expect even the pros to manage to play to two different sets of lwas in different competitions)

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
but it still contains the sorry cop-out for u12...

Wow. Really pleased to see that - it recognises the situation that exists and stops doing the King Canute bit of imagining it has any authority over schools!

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
yes, the RFU need to get a grip.
I can't believe they waste their time with opinions about whether 12 yr olds should wear leggings, when they can't even get to a situation where they play the same Laws on Saturday as they do on Sunday.

They have no choice about schools; schools are not governed by the RFU (indeed the new "Academies" aren't governed by anybody!), so at least the RFU has finally recognised this!

(in our club, and in other clubs around us, we have pletny of 12 yr olds playing one set of Laws on Saturday and another set the following day with their club.

Club and school situations are different. Schools don't have time to muck about coneing off pitches and have to play games with the classes they have. Clubs don't [generally] have pitch space to give U12s a full pitch.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Wow. Really pleased to see that - it recognises the situation that exists and stops doing the King Canute bit of imagining it has any authority over schools!

so if they can't control the schools (ridiculous situation) then they should admit defeat and change the Laws in clubs to match the schools.

Club and school situations are different.

but the children who play in clubs... also go to school.

The current situation seems to be based on a 1950s view of the world that boys play rugby EITHER at their boarding prep school OR at a club.

but in reality plenty of boys play both school and club.

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
so if they can't control the schools (ridiculous situation) then they should admit defeat and change the Laws in clubs to match the schools.

Most clubs can't allocate another full size pitch for the U12s.

but the children who play in clubs... also go to school.

They often go to different schools and there aren't usually 120 of them in each year group in the club. (With all of them attending a club being at least slightly interested in rugby - at school, things are very different.)

The current situation seems to be based on a 1950s view of the world that boys play rugby EITHER at their boarding prep school OR at a club.

It's a compromise based on the RFU's view of "best practice", with limited space at a club but with qualified coaches and the school's reality of having more space but "doing what we can in 1 lesson a week with the kids we've got and a PE teacher who doesn't actually know how to play rugby".

davidgh

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think it would be amazing if in this day and age the RFU could simply inform those of us who TRY HARD TO KEEP UP TO DATE and are officers of affiliated clubs on each occasion they change the Law!!

Hardly Rocket science

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think it would be amazing if in this day and age the RFU could simply inform those of us who TRY HARD TO KEEP UP TO DATE and are officers of affiliated clubs on each occasion they change the Law!!

Hardly Rocket science

[This time round] I don't think there have been any changes in what were the Continuum or the Junior regs for a while.

Well, OK, there's been one - the dispensation to allow county squads to lift in the lineout at U15 has been removed and so country squads now have to wait until U16 like everyone else.

All the RFU has actually done is to roll up the Continuum and the junior regs into a single document - actually into a single section in the overall English regulations. (Section 15.)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
It's a compromise based on the RFU's view of "best practice", with limited space at a club but with qualified coaches and the school's reality of having more space but "doing what we can in 1 lesson a week with the kids we've got and a PE teacher who doesn't actually know how to play rugby".

whilst I agree entirely with Paul's synopsis I can;t help but think the schools fitting this description would be better off playing tag and involving the maximum amount of children in a fast paced low-technically and relatively safe (no tackle, post tackle and scrum considerations) sport rather than putting some kids off before they've started with contact tackling and big kids mullahing the littler ones..

Oh, look, I've just woken up !

;-)

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
whilst I agree entirely with Paul's synopsis I can;t help but think the schools fitting this description would be better off playing tag and involving the maximum amount of children in a fast paced low-technically and relatively safe (no tackle, post tackle and scrum considerations) sport rather than putting some kids off before they've started with contact tackling and big kids mullahing the littler ones..

Oh, look, I've just woken up !

;-)

didds

at U11 - primary schools -round here they ARE playing tag.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
at U11 - primary schools -round here they ARE playing tag.

I took paul's copmmengts to mean secondary schools.

All the state primary schools around here that play any rugby play TAG as well.
can't comment on the preop schools as I don;t know any!

didds