New Job, New Location, New Society?

Tibbs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hey all,

Been out of action for a while - too much work, too many injuries, but I've solved the first at least with a new job! :D

The downside is that I'm also moving house and that will mean I will need to find a new society to referee for. I'm moving to Uxbridge (or its environs) and so I'm thinking Berks, West London or Herts...?

What do people think - I seem to remember someone at my level a while ago having issues getting games with Berks (I think), who would I get most opportunity to improve my refereeing/get the most games? I'm currently a level 11/12 referee, and still very much a novice, being having just completed my second season.

I won't be in a position to start refereeing until after Christmas, given my need to impress in my new job and having done no fitness work for the past 3 months or so. :( I'll certainly be going along to the society meetings to see how they run things, but i was hoping for another set of opinions :)

Thanks,

Chris

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Obviously I would say London.

But merely due to it's size the development opportunities can be very good if you have the talent and ambition to take yourself further. And Mark Powell and Dr Coates are very good at running the region. The Latter is a member of the forum too (Big J).

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Tibbsy - it was I who had the problem getting games in Berks last season. It did clear up though, after I raised the possibility of switching to Bucks.

Don't ignore Bucks as an option. They are desperate for decent refs there, so I imagine the scope for advancement may be good. It extends North to Milton Keynes (which is perhaps a problem for someone such as yourself on the Southern border, but you'd have the same issue in Berks, which extends to Hungerford in the West), but local clubs might be Marlow, High Wycombe, Farnham Royal, Phoenix, Drifters, Beaconsfield. More remote are Chesham, Olney, Milton Keynes, Amersham, Aylesbury.

AlanT

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hey to you, too - good to catch up with what you've been up to (or not!).

I shall always remember the foundation course we did together - you sitting at the front with loads of good questions, comments and anecdotes ... and me hiding right behind you wondering what I was doing there in a roomful of out and out rugby people.

I'm sure Sussex had high hopes of getting a lot more mileage out of you, being keen, knowledgeable, experienced and young.

Good luck with the new job.

Keep in touch.

..... did you spot my promotion to L10? :eek:)

Last edited:

Tibbs

Referees in England
Post Likes
I did - congratulations!

I'm not sure SSRFUR had the same high hopes as I did. I must confess I couldn't make the meetings, so I didn't have the highest profile, but they didn't manage to get me one assessment last season. Apart from the last 2 months when I refereed 3 games, I was active most of the year :(

So hopefully it's on to pastures new, with a new fitness regime starting now I'm back to some semblence of healthiness, and exciting opportunities.

And don't forget that the Worthing 5s hooker likes to leave his foot in the tunnel after the engage ;)

Chris

Big J

Referees in England
Post Likes
I live in Uxbridge too. If you need any help let me know.

Tibbs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thanks all for the responses.

Distance isn't really an issue for me. I'm (un)fortunate enough not to have a girfriend/wife, so my weekends are my own. My old society comprised both East and West Sussex, and I currently live right at the western end of West Sussex, so journeys of over 2 hours are not uncommon, especially when redeployed at short notice on a sunny weekend.

I'm certainly going to pay a visit to the closest societies and check out their meetings and have a chat about facilities, support etc.

Big J, thanks for the offer of help - I'll certainly take you up on that!

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Tibbs, FWIW I'd go with Big J on the West list.

Its true that London is the bigger society and so promotion can be tougher, but the number of clubs and frequency of games can balance this out.

peperami

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Tibbs, FWIW I'd go with Big J on the West list.

Its true that London is the bigger society and so promotion can be tougher, but the number of clubs and frequency of games can balance this out.

As an ex west list ref and before that Harrow Society for those of you with long memories.

I'd go west list, as they have some very sociable characters some good rugby and lots of games, all near public transport.

Big J is also a very nice bloke

Ben

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
I'd go West List as well - we're a great society!!!

Meeting at London Welsh on Thursday night, 19:30 KO. People arrive from19:00 for a beer. Always a good chance to chat with lots of good refs - Barnsie, JP Doyle, and other panel and dev squad refs, plus lots of the older refs with lots of experience. Plenty of beer as well.

If you go - introduce yourself to Mark Powell - regional manager.

Tibbs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sadly I'm still down in West Sussex until the end of next month.

How often are the meetings run?

Tibbs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just a quick bumpety bump - found a place to live, in Ealing. It's about 5 mins walk from Ealing RFC - anyone know what their social side is like?

Would be great to have a place to go a watch (cry about) the rest of the RWC...

Chris

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Ealing's Social set up used to be excellent when I played for them (at their old ground) so you should be fine.

Looks like London Society too then.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
And Ealing RFC are one of only a few clubs that have an internal Club Referee Society, which is affiliated to and supported by the London Society.

Tibbs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yes, I saw that - most interesting... I'm looking forward to seeing how it works.

Yep, London society here I come :biggrin: