New referee tops for this season.

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Following the new sponsor Macron coming into the SRU to provide clothing for the national and regional teams, they have also provided the new referee jerseys and warm up kit for this coming season.

We have been given a choice of 2, they are of a very good quality and this is one of them, on the rear collar is the Scottish flag embroided aswell. Fortunatley we have not gone the way of the SH refs, we have got black shorts and socks.
View attachment 2651

The other colour we have is a orange one, which a few of my "auburn" topped fellow refs find a bit close to a clash for them!

Any other societies come out with a new design for this season?

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Looks good.

Tell me, are we the only country that uses white for referees? As I understand it, every union in NZ just uses white with the provincial colours as trim, and forbids club sides from using white as a colour. Are we the only ones to do this?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
We have white as one colour option along with green and yellow - same design for last 6 seasons.

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Yeah they are good quality, only issue was sizing, as Macron is an Italian brand, the sizes are european spec, so most guys have had to upsize by one or two sizes for comfort.

SRU have never blocked a colour for the referees, we had yellow, green and red last couple of years to avoid the colour clash.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
We have white - our default shirt is white (County colour)

Change shirts are girly pink, bright yellow and pukey green.

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Fortunatley we have not gone the way of the SH refs, we have got black shorts and socks?

Team of three must look like a box of licoric allsorts!

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Tell me, are we the only country that uses white for referees? As I understand it, every union in NZ just uses white with the provincial colours as trim, and forbids club sides from using white as a colour. Are we the only ones to do this?

It appears so....we have yellow with blue and white trim (and a pink alternative).

Are you sure all of NZ is clad in white?....the kiwi guys we had on exchange this year wore a green ensemble?

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
It appears so....we have yellow with blue and white trim (and a pink alternative).

Are you sure all of NZ is clad in white?....the kiwi guys we had on exchange this year wore a green ensemble?
Well I can't be entirely sure of course about every union, but I know the three Unions that I have dealt with (Otago, BOP and Waikato) all wear white with provincial colours trim, and I know just from looking at the websites so do Auckland, Wellington and North Harbour. Perhaps someone else can confirm any other provinces but I'm pretty sure that is correct - of course the trim on some shirts is bigger than others - the Auckland one has a trim that is almost as big as the white on the jersey itself (http://www.arra.org.nz/ ) (Canterbury also seems to be the same http://www.crfu.co.nz/main/index.cfm/1,198,0,0,html/Referees )

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
we have an orange shirt and have had it for several seasons (I'm a bit over it). White cotton shorts (to keep the laundress on her toes) and navy socks.

half_way_cup_thumbnail_image.jpg

Our tracksuits are very good:

GF2012_AdrianDanielStephanGraemePhilip_web_thumbnail_image.jpg

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
We have just moved to Burnt Orange with Black Shorts and Orange Socks.

The colour is now barred from being used by any team in WA. As none used it before as being the Refs team colour.

Easy to do when you don't have that many teams!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
i find it very strange to ban clubs from wearing a particular colour, so that referees can use it.

seems much more appropriate for the referee to have a change of shirt.

round where I am referees mostly wear yellow, as that's an uncommon colour amongst clubs - indeed there are only two clubs I can think of that I encounter that are yellow - Basingstoke and Bank of England.

second choice from LSRFUR refs is pale blue. There's also a green version, but I have rarely/never seen it.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
We have white - our default shirt is white (County colour)

Change shirts are girly pink, bright yellow and pukey green.

I have an old style one with sewn on badge and blue collar and cuffs ! Shirt swap at Jersey Vets 10s a few seasons ago.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I have an old style one with sewn on badge and blue collar and cuffs ! Shirt swap at Jersey Vets 10s a few seasons ago.
Aaaaah. A collar. I was given a shirt with a collar once. Happy days. :biggrin:

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Looks good.

South Australia use white.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Round here, no such bans. I usually use black shorts/socks, and I have tops in: white with black trim, kelly green, hunter green with white trim, and red with white trim. If i know neither wears white (and the conditions allow), I go with my RR.com kit (which I should NOT have gotten in white).

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
i find it very strange to ban clubs from wearing a particular colour, so that referees can use it.

seems much more appropriate for the referee to have a change of shirt.

round where I am referees mostly wear yellow, as that's an uncommon colour amongst clubs - indeed there are only two clubs I can think of that I encounter that are yellow - Basingstoke and Bank of England.

second choice from LSRFUR refs is pale blue. There's also a green version, but I have rarely/never seen it.

Green is handy there's a few teams in yellow and blue - Beckenham for a start and there's a few more that I can't quite think of!

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
We have white, with a single yellow horizontal bar with two small green bars against it. Green shorts and whatever bottle green/yellow socks available.

The 8 refs and 7 AR's are after matching kit, after all, apart from the (very) occasional beer after nothing else comes down from on high. My kit comes from 4 different people, my socks, two pairs of shorts (one from each of my coaches) and a shirt from a semi-retired ref. With all of us having different socks, it does spoil the effect somewhat.

I like the burnt orange colour, very 70's!