[Law] New Urban Myth - Only a prop can take a knee!

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Whilst I don't like the hookers attitude of not listening to the referee instructions, I also believe he had a point that if time is not on, the game is not ongoing so he can stay unbound. awaiting the game to restart.

I appreciate what your aim was, and from your responses it seems it was successful. I would take a slightly different approach and warn players and if it continues, penalise accordingly. I also rarely allow 3 resets, by that point it's clear people are offending so I penalise appropriately.

A good new urban myth though. Where do players get these ideas from?

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
My management technique (no use while the guy is refusing to begin till the time is on) is to free kick / penalise at the scrum engagement. Incidentally, do you realise that the sanctions linked to the three engagement phases are
Crouch: free kick
Bind; Penalty
Set; Free kick
Handy to know.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
most underage games and many adult games that have a defined finish time to facilitate commencing the next game on time. There have been instances where a serious ambulance job injury happens early in the 2nd half and that's the game over.

Indeed.

When I played Sydney subbies in 1988 and 1993, the general deal was

4th grade 1200 KO (2 x 30s)
3rd grade 1300 KO (2 x 30s)
2nd grade 1400 KO (2 x 35s)
1st grade 1515 KO (2 x 40s)

all played on the one pitch. consecutively.

So as the next game has a specific start time there really is no such thing as "time off" as even if the game watch is off, the overall march of time is relentless.

didds

Last edited:

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Indeed.

When I played Sydney subbies in 1988 and 1993, the general deal was

4th grade 1200 KO (2 x 30s)
3rd grade 1300 KO (2 x 30s)
2nd grade 1400 KO (2 x 35s)
1st grade 1515 KO (2 x 40s)

all played on the one pitch. consecutively.

So as the next game has a specific start time there really is no such thing as "time off" as even if the game watch is off, the overall march of time is relentless.

didds

Still pretty much the same, except now Colts play between 3rds and 2nds - so 4ths KO at 10.30 (the old blokes love that !!)

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
They weren’t playing rugby when the clock was running, this was the third reset, none had got to engagement, and the oppos deserved a fair chance to play their scrum and try and get the score back that they needed. Do you really think cynical time wasting is ok?

If you think it was cynical then FK it.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
If you think it was cynical then FK it.

and the FK of course will be taken as a scrum probably....

so doesn't really solve the issue.

didds

PS obvs PK for repeated etc etc etc. Which may be taken as a scrum.... ad nauseum.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If they are cynically trying to waste time I stop the clock . That works as it removes the point of it

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
and the FK of course will be taken as a scrum probably....

so doesn't really solve the issue.

didds

PS obvs PK for repeated etc etc etc. Which may be taken as a scrum.... ad nauseum.

Depends on the score at the time.