Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Probably should have been YC.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The only thing he didn't do was drive him into the ground. Red for me.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'm leaning red

Same here.

The only reason Gold didn't land on his head was because he put his arm out and had a good rolling technique.

The only thing he didn't do was drive him into the ground. Red for me.

And yet, both Peyper and Wayne Barnes are clearly heard saying "penalty only". And both coaches agreed with the decision in the post match conference.

Go figure

(Maybe there has been a secret memo)

ETA: I have just rewatched the tackle with the yellow button (no commentary, just the official's mics and crowd noise. The TMO says "tackle only" as well.

You can also hear this conversation..

Peyper: "There's no flick by the tackler, he's just gone through him and he slips"

Hooper: "Took him above the horizontal though..."

Peyper: "I don't think its purely because of the tackler"

When you look at normal speed, it looks like Gold 15 jumps fractionally, pushing off with his left foot.

I'd have had no complaints if YC was awarded.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Is there any current, published guidance from WR on tip tackles ?

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Is there any current, published guidance from WR on tip tackles ?

That's a really good question. From Ian's post: Hooper: "Took him above the horizontal though..."

Going beyond horizontal is the criteria for some referees to judge whether a tip tackle is on but what is the criteria for going from warning to yellow to red? If Gold hadn't put his arm down and instead had landed squarely on his head that might have changed the outcome but it would not have changed the actions of Black. Black drove straight up as he grasped Gold's legs to lift Gold off the ground which is a root cause of the tip. Did Gold contribute? I don't see it from the clip.

What is more aggravating to me is the 'automatic' YC for interceptions that fail and end up as a knock-on while this tip gets squat.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
USA GMG has a checklist for yellow or red.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
we have this in our GMGs. Specifically applies to community level:

[LAWS]Any time a tackled player's legs are lifted above horizontal it should result in a yellow card as a
minimum. If the tackled player is lifted and lands on their shoulder or head area it should result in a red
card.[/LAWS]

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
From the above this has to be a RC then. Tackler clearly lifted the tackled players legs above the horizontal, player would have landed on head without preventative action - Red Card.

It would be at the harsh end as I don't believe there was any intent here, no driving into the ground etc. But, World Rugby are clearly attempting to get players to take more responsibility for their actions, here they have lifted above the horizontal and therefore take the consequences.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It would be at the harsh end as I don't believe there was any intent here, no driving into the ground etc.

Why lift and twist him? That's good enough for me. Same as Warbs. As a tackler: DON'T LIFT end of!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
yeah - I read the approach as meaning "don;t lift above the horizontal and we as a game can never have any nasty results of such. even when totally accidental post tip. Don't do it. We will punish you for it happening even if accidental. Do not use techniques that may tip. You will get punished. capische?"

didds

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Why lift and twist him? That's good enough for me. Same as Warbs. As a tackler: DON'T LIFT end of!

What brand of whacky-baccy have you been smoking Marc?

Warburton lifted Vincent Clerc off the ground, turned him over dropped him head first from over a metre. On no planet in the known universe are those two tackles the same.

I think WR need to stop pissing about, grow some gonads, and make it a PK infringement to lift an opponent off the ground at all. Drive him off his feet, yes, lift him off his feet, no!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
What brand of whacky-baccy have you been smoking Marc?

Warburton lifted Vincent Clerc off the ground, turned him over dropped him head first from over a metre. On no planet in the known universe are those two tackles the same.

I think WR need to stop pissing about, grow some gonads, and make it a PK infringement to lift an opponent off the ground at all. Drive him off his feet, yes, lift him off his feet, no!

It's a good idea - but I worry about differentiating between driving and lifting in real time.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It's a good idea - but I worry about differentiating between driving and lifting in real time.

The hips are the key Simon, the approximate CofG of the human body is fractionally above the hips.

If you tackle and drive a player above the hips, you can knock them onto their back without lifting them

https://youtu.be/CsJZaYOgFhc

But if you tackle and drive below the hips, you are likely to flip them over

https://youtu.be/oGY83tyX66I?t=11