Nice Tackle?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The hips are the key Simon, the approximate CofG of the human body is fractionally above the hips.

If you tackle and drive a player above the hips, you can knock them onto their back without lifting them

https://youtu.be/CsJZaYOgFhc

But if you tackle and drive below the hips, you are likely to flip them over

https://youtu.be/oGY83tyX66I?t=11

If you drive, you are moving forward forcefully. If you lift,you are usually more or less static initially.

(Grey areas as usual, of course).

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
... though seemingly only in the last decade has a tackle below the hips ended up with spearing... cos its the action adter the grasp that makes the difference surely?

didds

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
What brand of whacky-baccy have you been smoking Marc?

Warburton lifted Vincent Clerc off the ground, turned him over dropped him head first from over a metre. On no planet in the known universe are those two tackles the same.

I think WR need to stop pissing about, grow some gonads, and make it a PK infringement to lift an opponent off the ground at all. Drive him off his feet, yes, lift him off his feet, no!

That is exactly the point, He lifted him off his feet with no need. At that point the same. After that yes Warbs went further but you have toask both palyers why were they lifting it was not needed. I am ONLY referring to the lift part.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
The hips are the key Simon, the approximate CofG of the human body is fractionally above the hips.

If you tackle and drive a player above the hips, you can knock them onto their back without lifting them

https://youtu.be/CsJZaYOgFhc

But if you tackle and drive below the hips, you are likely to flip them over

https://youtu.be/oGY83tyX66I?t=11

Yes but. They are mutually exclusive - you can lift from above the hips, and you can be safe below the hips.

I'm not arguing against what you're trying to achieve. I worry about practical implementation. Working as Discipline Chair since 2012, I've seen more than one perfectly good driving tackle get red carded.

I think if we adopt your interpretation, things would get a lot worse before they got better.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So tackle HIGH for safety reasons :)

"In my day"[SUP]TM[/SUP], we generally grasped around the waist when tackling from front-on or side-on, and more often around the legs when tackling from behind. Of course, in those days "offload" was something that was done from the back of a truck.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
... though seemingly only in the last decade has a tackle below the hips ended up with spearing...

in the olden days tacklers were quite happy to go to ground with the ball carrier. These days, when they can, tacklers (or, more accurately, tackle assists) will try to stay on their feet to keep themselves in the game.

When was the last time you saw a SH do a dive pass?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
in the olden days tacklers were quite happy to go to ground with the ball carrier. These days, when they can, tacklers (or, more accurately, tackle assists) will try to stay on their feet to keep themselves in the game.

When was the last time you saw a SH do a dive pass?

Yep.

Back in the day, I would never have considered the idea of picking up a player and dumping him. I would be trying to drag him to the ground with me.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Mid point range 6 weeks plus they took his previous record into account and added a week

Ashton has a malicious streak in him.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Actually low end
9.18 A player must not lift an opponent off the ground and drop or drive
that player so that their head and/or upper body make contact with the
ground.

Low-end: 6 weeks
Mid-range: 10 weeks
Top-end: 14+ weeks
Max: 52 weeks

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
The latest wrinkle is that the Sale Sharks may not have a match this week.
In the hearing it was apparently stated they had a match against Sale FC.
But FC played Stoke yesterday.
If Sharks do not have a match, Ashton will miss the Perpigan match instead.