[Ruck] no more 1 man ruck ?? thoughts

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Do we allow ruck players to use their hands in clearly won rucks?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
this has drifted away from U10 regs now, but from what I was told last week

- jackler gets hands on
- oppo makes contact
- ruck formed
- jackler doesn;t have to remove hands

irrespective of whether jackler has lifted the ball or not at the moment of contact and ruck formed

So the simple answer to the percy's question is "Yes".

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
For U10 it’s simpler as we’re trying to promote best practice, so if there’s hands on first, and they make an attempt to use it positively then well done and that should be encouraged (and explained after if appropriate), thankfully at that age they haven’t been corrupted enough to try and leave hands on and milk a penalty!

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
.... Addendum
The Fifteens Law Review Group met on Monday 16 April and agreed to bring the Ruck law trial into full law. They also agreed on the following simplified and more logical wording of the law:
Offside lines are created when at least one player is on their feet and over the ball, which is on the ground. A ruck is formed when at least one player from each team are in contact, on their feet and over the ball which is on the ground.
So from what I can see, we can have a "Mono Ruck" with 1 player over the ball (and he can handle the ball) or we have a conventional Ruck with 2 opposing players in physical contact over the ball and nobody can handle the ball.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think that's the terminology they want to avoid

We have either
1 a tackle, where players on their feet can use their hands Or
2 a ruck where they can't

The tackle may or may not have offside lines , but the offside lines are a red herring , they only affect players a distance away from the tackle

Players actually entering any tackle zone , offisde line or not, have to come through the gate and can use their hands (unless of course a ruck is formed)

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I think that's the terminology they want to avoid

We have either
1 a tackle, where players on their feet can use their hands Or
2 a ruck where they can't
Fair enough; but WR themselves were calling it a Ruck only a few weeks ago.

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
This is why i put up this post originally .
The new wording is going to be below

The Fifteens Law Review Group met on Monday 16 April and agreed to bring the Ruck law trial into full law. They also agreed on the following simplified and more logical wording of the law:
Offside lines are created when at least one player is on their feet and over the ball, which is on the ground. A ruck is formed when at least one player from each team are in contact, on their feet and over the ball which is on the ground.
It is hoped that this revised wording will help resolve the questions that you raise

on # 13 ,, this is why i wrote , that to me it spells the end of a mono ruck .
Which i feel is a good thing ..

It is my understanding that at a tackle only there is no off side line & no ruck .
1 player if he wishes to stand over the ball ,,will now only create an off side line but not a ruck .

For a ruck to form , we will now be back to as was before ,, 1 player minimum will be needed from each team
I think it will clear up this area for players , refs & spectators .
The tackle area will still have gate entry requirements .
A jackler can still jackle & keep hands on ball if he was there 1st ,,even if he gets cleaned out of same .

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am curious, Christy , where did you get this clarification from .. it's not on the WR website

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
So from what I can see, we can have a "Mono Ruck" with 1 player over the ball (and he can handle the ball) or we have a conventional Ruck with 2 opposing players in physical contact over the ball and nobody can handle the ball.

yep - though personally I think the use of the word "ruck" in the former is potentially confusing. Not that I have a better suggestion! :)

didds