No Wrap - into Touch

Patrick

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Everyone,

So sorry I haven't paid enough attention to my own post - the 'real job' is beginning to really crimp my rugby 'job'.

Anyway - so I guess I was trying to lead people into a logical path to show how shorter Laws isn't always a matter of just cutting stuff out and smaller fonts (I made that last part up).

Many of you have somewhat figured it out but I'll spell it out:

Charge and push are two very different things and, unfortunately, should have been treated differently and are specific to location of ball-carrier on the pitch.

First - the Charge tackle
- The charge is a direct and disgusting way of leading with a shoulder or head with little or no attempt to wrap (or use hands). This is American Football at it's most dangerous for ball-carrier AND tackler.

I STILL have young men that join my team that insist their American Football coach continue to instruct them in the 'proper' way to use your head and shoulders in a charge tackle - some part of me dies every time I hear that.

Second - the Push tackle
- This is pretty straight forward - in open play a defensive players pushes the ball-carrier in an attempt tackle - rarely works.
- BUT, when a ball-carrier is near or close to the Touch-line, the push tackle is very effective but carries the potential risks listed in detail above. An accelerated player loosing his ability to stop or slow or dodge and obstacle from a spectator (behind the ropes or not) or a rope holding device - PVC, wire, etc., tree, goal post, water cooler, etc., etc., etc., - is very real and dangerous.

Here's the deal - the two are NOT the same.

Mental experiment - imagine a charge tackle at the point of right before contact and at contact. No arms.

Now, imagine the same thing but at the point of contact, the defensive player brings his arms around and attempts to grasp the ball-carrier.

In the last example - it becomes clear - attempting to wrap physically stops a charge tackle.

So, bringing it back - a better set of laws to cover this would be to require all tacklers to attempt to grasp the ball-carrier. This would stop all dangerous charges and all into-Touch shoves, pushes, etc.

I don't think a push, being as it requires the defensive player to use his arms, would be an open field PK. That, and it's not all the effective at stopping a ball-carrier.

Charging then - would be any attempt to come in contact with a ball-carrier without the use of hands / arms first. PK or Yellow

Pushing then - would be any defensive player intentionally not attempting to grasp in some manner the ball-carrier into-Touch. PK or Red

Those would cover everything - I think. But, can't wait to hear all your opinions.

Again, sorry for not stepping back in sooner.

Patrick

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think you are fighting a straw man - because charging and pushing ARE indeed treated differently the Laws

- pushing the ball carrier is legal
- charging the ball carrier is illegal

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
require all tacklers to attempt to grasp the ball-carrier

No tap tackles then?

Patrick

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
I think you are fighting a straw man - because charging and pushing ARE indeed treated differently the Laws

- pushing the ball carrier is legal
- charging the ball carrier is illegal

[FONT=fs_blakeregular]9.15 - Except in a scrum, ruck or maul, a player who is not in possession of the ball must not hold, push, charge or obstruct an opponent not in possession of the ball.

[/FONT]
Ummmm, wrong.

And, wrong. They're stuck together like a bad marriage.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
[FONT=fs_blakeregular]9.15 - Except in a scrum, ruck or maul, a player who is not in possession of the ball must not hold, push, charge or obstruct an opponent not in possession of the ball.

[/FONT]
Ummmm, wrong.

And, wrong. They're stuck together like a bad marriage.

I warned you earlier you need to read that one forensically ! 9.15 covers two players, neither of them with the ball. So not relevant in tackles

9.16 prohibits you from charging a ball carrier
Nothing prohibits you from pushing a ball carrier

So

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
So, bringing it back - a better set of laws to cover this would be to require all tacklers to attempt to grasp the ball-carrier. This would stop all dangerous charges and all into-Touch shoves, pushes, etc.

Shoves and pushes are not tackles; tackles already require the BC to be held. Do you also want to bring in a law that the ball carrier may *only* be tackled?

Charging then - would be any attempt to come in contact with a ball-carrier without the use of hands / arms first. PK or Yellow

Pushing then - would be any defensive player intentionally not attempting to grasp in some manner the ball-carrier into-Touch. PK or Red

You want pushing an opponent to be a more serious offence than a charge? Tactfully, I'd say that I think WR would want to see some empirical evidence of injuries from pushes being a problem that needs solving.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
No tap tackles then?

I agree with CBG's point, but it highlights an example of a historical abnormality.

Trip with a foot = illegal
Trip with a hand = legal

Because of course under current laws (and for a very long time) a "tap tackle" is not a tackle by any definition of the laws. unless I suppose the hand actually manages to grasp and hold the ankle 9which is not what is ever attempted)

didds.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
unless I suppose the hand actually manages to grasp and hold the ankle 9which is not what is ever attempted)

didds.
I did it once. On the wing, chasing a kick from the fly-half. The opposing full back got there first and attempted to run away from me. I grabbed hold of his ankle and as he fell over he tried to pull his leg free. That force with his weight behind it dislocated my shoulder. As we hit the ground he had technically been tackled, and my shoulder was knocked back into place.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Tripping is banned because a clash of shins can break a leg

Tapping the ankle with the hand isn't dangerous , is it ? So no need to ban it .
(although it's very annoying when it happens to you!)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Tripping is banned because a clash of shins can break a leg

Tapping the ankle with the hand isn't dangerous , is it ? So no need to ban it .
(although it's very annoying when it happens to you!)

That's fair enough - the momentum of a hard shin in a kicking motion etc

Can you tap tackle with your head? ;-)

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Didn't we see that in an international game not that long ago ? It didn't end well !

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I agree with CBG's point, but it highlights an example of a historical abnormality.

Trip with a foot = illegal
Trip with a hand = legal
Historically "hacking" as tripping with the foot was known, was one of the reasons why soccer and rugby split when the FA was set up in 1863. The first draft of the rules contained the following:[LAWS]IX. A player shall be entitled to run with the ball towards his adversaries'
goal if he makes a fair catch, or catches the ball on the first bound; but in the
case of a fair catch, if he makes his mark he shall not run.
X. If any player shall run with the ball towards his adversaries' goal, any
player on the opposite side shall be at liberty to charge, hold, trip or hack
him, or to wrest the ball from him, but no player shall be held and hacked at
the same time.[/LAWS]

Shortly after this was dropped, Blackheath resigned from the FA.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I believe a tap tackle could be regarded as a failed tackle just like any other failed tackle. There are quite often subsequent outcomes after what is regarded as an 'ordinary' tackle attempt that lead to a change of direction, falling over etc, At a tap tackle the ball carrier falls over just as they might with a failed wrap tackle around the legs.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Can you tap tackle with your head? ;-)

I did this once. It was long enough ago that everyone was wearing long metal studs, but probably not as long ago OB's example though. Chasing from behind, I dove out the tackle a ball carrier (didn't know about "tap tackles" at the time) and the back 2 metal studs caught me on either side of one of my eyes. Lots of blood, no real medical coverage, went to the hospital and got 8 stiches just under my eye brow and another 15 in the lower eyelid. First match my parents watched, mom was worried, dad said "ehh, its just a flesh wound".

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Patrick

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Shoves and pushes are not tackles; tackles already require the BC to be held. Do you also want to bring in a law that the ball carrier may *only* be tackled?

You want pushing an opponent to be a more serious offence than a charge? Tactfully, I'd say that I think WR would want to see some empirical evidence of injuries from pushes being a problem that needs solving.

Rugby ref & tact - I've seen Big Foot more often....

Rich - I should have made it more clear - that part was a suggestion - love to hear what you think would be appropriate and, there is always the possibility they are equal.

Thanks - Patrick