Number 8 Pickup with uncontested scrum

Joe@trfc

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
I posted this in general and it seems I was wrong to say the number 8 cannot pick up

Is it just an under 19s thing or have I got this wrong as well

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
if there is a #8 then he can always pick up, at any age group from U13 upwards, regardless of whether it's contested or uncontested

I thnik I am right that #8 pick up is banned in midi rugby, ie U12 and lower (if I recall correctly)

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Jo,

That means if you have full scrums (i.e. 8 players in each scrum) then there is nothing in law that prevents the No. 8 picking up.

If in junior rugby and you have less than 8 in the scrum, then there is no No. 8 pick up as there will be no No. 8 (and as it's uncontested, don't let anyone else pick it up either, just the 9).

Keep it all simple for yourself. :D

Good luck with the refereeing, any other questions, feel free to ask.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Jo,

If in junior rugby and you have less than 8 in the scrum, then there is no No. 8 pick up as there will be no No. 8

correct if there is seven -- but if there are six in the scrum there will be a #8 :smile: and pick ups are on again!

scarletjack

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
if in the senior game there is no #8 , can a wing forward pick up??

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
For me, only if the ball is OUT.

There is various debates about the scrum wheeling and then they may be the hindmost player, but it's few and far between that happens, and if it does chances are your scrums are having more issues than just that.

I've never seen a proper move where the ball is put to a wing forward and then deliberately wheeled so that they are at the back, and then they pick it up.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I've never seen a proper move where the ball is put to a wing forward and then deliberately wheeled so that they are at the back, and then they pick it up.

because of course in adult rugby : if you want to do a pick up then you simply pack down with a #8 (because you always can)

it's only the arcane world of U19 rugby where in some circumstances you are prevented from having a #8 that this arises.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
If no No8 in senior game it is possible they may deliberately wheel so as to put a flanker hindmost and do a pickup move. As Crossref says however if its a plan they'll probably pack a No 8... however just because something is usual doesn't mean the unusual cannot happen

Mind you with 1 down in the scrum they'd be better advised to try and keep it straight. Agree with Robbie this far, it would be unusual.

It's more likely that the opposition are wheeling trying for a turnover or simply to destabilise. But the wheel may well put a flanker as hindmost player, and he is perfectly entitled to break bind and pick up

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
correct if there is seven -- but if there are six in the scrum there will be a #8 :smile: and pick ups are on again!

If this happens I would first take a moment to double-check that you actually are on the right pitch, or you might get a nasty surprise...