offside after knock on

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
The only mistake I see is from green 7 who plays the ball from an off side position.
7 is running across from the line out towards play but is never onside.
That is fine provided he gets onside before playing the ball.
But when the knock on occurs he falls on the ball from in front.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The only mistake I see is from green 7 who plays the ball from an off side position.
7 is running across from the line out towards play but is never onside.
That is fine provided he gets onside before playing the ball.
But when the knock on occurs he falls on the ball from in front.

Green 7 didn't participate in the lineout. He was in the centres. It looks pretty clear to me that when the knock on occurred he was behind the player who knocks on. What happens after that has no bearing.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Referee brain fart, or a bad angle - he's tracking back at 45 degrees.

It was not the only unusual decision in this game.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I watched it through once, so it could be a case of seeing what we expect to see.
In which case i am in company with a top ref, does that mean I can do asix nations match :)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
a trap for the unwary

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
When I first saw it I thought the Ref got it right.

Playing it back again though and I would say it was a mistake .... but the Ref doesn't get a second chance to play it back again.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Is offside not a "can you just check this " option at the next dead ball?

(I suspect not).

didds

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
You could ask Craig Joubert about using the TMO to check offside...

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I thought it was a mistake by the ref at the time.
I'm surprised that it wasn't queried by the penalised player.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
When I first saw it I thought the Ref got it right.

Playing it back again though and I would say it was a mistake .... but the Ref doesn't get a second chance to play it back again.

that's why he gets the big bucks.

It's one think to miss an offence ... it's a totally different think to imagine you saw an offence. He needs to revisit his mental checklist.

Last edited:

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I wouldn't say a brain fart but it was a mistake. When I saw it live on TV I thought penalty, as you appeared to have green 7 ahead of the knock on and returning to collect. Only after seeing a replay did I then realise at the time of the KO he was onside.

So yes an error, but an understandable one as live on TV it did look offside.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I guess karma then did what it does best with the Italians missing the shot at goal

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
finally watched it -- AH! it's that one!

I did catch that live! I immediately said : hang on, was he actually in front?

but it was hard to be sure watching once in real time

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
When a player knocks-on and an offside team-mate next plays the ball, the offside player isliable to sanction if playing the ball prevented an opponent from gaining an advantage.[COLOR=rgb(72.000000%, 0.000000%, 2.880000%)]Sanction: [/COLOR]Penalty kick

From the 2017 law book becuase it's the one I learned from. Deliberately playing the ball and killing an advantage. When he plays the ball he is offside as he is in front of the player who last played the ball.

think back to that controversial call in the lions tour where it was rather a case of accidental vs deliberately playing the ball.

Last edited:

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
When a player knocks-on and an offside team-mate next plays the ball, the offside player isliable to sanction if playing the ball prevented an opponent from gaining an advantage.[COLOR=rgb(72.000000%, 0.000000%, 2.880000%)]Sanction: [/COLOR]Penalty kick

From the 2017 law book becuase it's the one I learned from. Deliberately playing the ball and killing an advantage. When he plays the ball he is offside as he is in front of the player who last played the ball.

All good, but I think the point here is that Green 7 was not in front of his team mate who last played the ball.

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
All good, but I think the point here is that Green 7 was not in front of his team mate who last played the ball.

He is in front of the team mate who last played the ball. Because the ball has been knocked on he can't play it from an on side position. Not to be confused with something like a kick ahead . It may sound counterintuitive in that context but it does have its own ruling and it is killing the advantage.

Last edited:

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
It's my opinion, and it would seem to be the opinion of many others, that he was not in front of the last player to play the ball at the time the ball was played. In other words he came from an onside position and was legally playing the ball. It is my opinion that the referee made an error in this instance.