offside after knock on

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Forgive my simplicity here but seeing as the ball was knocked on by green 14 why does it matter that green 7 was offside or not? To my mind it's a penalty for a knock on instead of offside as given. Sorry but a bit lost as to what the problem is other than giving a penalty instead of a scrum?

An unintentional Knock on is a scrum offence. Law 19.1 First item in the matrix.

Treadmore

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Green 7 didn't participate in the lineout. He was in the centres. It looks pretty clear to me that when the knock on occurred he was behind the player who knocks on. What happens after that has no bearing.
:chin: Ref appears to indicate the with left arm that the ball when backwards at the time and then after blowing whistle explains "bounced forward, you were offside"

Doesn't change the discussion around green 7 being onside (he was) just interested that everyone in the thread has called it a knock-on when the ref didn't...

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Do coaches have the mindset to coach , "If a ball is knocked on, kill it."? This will immediately and deliberately deny the chance of any advantage.

Just asking. Doesn't seem wholly equitable perhaps?

If it helps I don't. But TBH I think that is potentially already in the mindset of most players. And if not kill it particular;ly its there to "claim the ball". Its a commendation of many players understanding and reactions that mostly they understand when they are potentially offside from a knock on and do NOT claim the ball. IME. YMMV.

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The coaching message is : play to the whistle .

nhughes

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Yes, it does matter if Green 7 was offside or not.

If he wasn't offside then it's just a scrum as you suggest for an accidental knock on.

If he was offside and played the ball, then it's a Penalty kick (PK) offence for being offside and playing the ball.

Thanks that answered my question clearly.