Offside under 10m Law

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So in the example given, they actually have to retire to 2m behind where the ball was kicked from ? (just checking)

And in a case of the ball merely scuffing off a boot and trickling forward 1m, they'd have to retire 9m behind where the ball was kicked?

didds

For me .. on this one I would use the 2017 law.

In general I think approach (3) Is the only sensible one , but in this case is seems so clearly a mistake I would have to use approach (4)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
which seems eminently sensible to me - if only because "nobody" would expect somebody to run back 9m to get onside when the "offside line" is merely 1m behind them.

In fact in extremis the o/s player could be 1cm in front of the fluffed kick, and have to run back effectively 10m if not!

didds

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
which seems eminently sensible to me - if only because "nobody" would expect somebody to run back 9m to get onside when the "offside line" is merely 1m behind them.

In fact in extremis the o/s player could be 1cm in front of the fluffed kick, and have to run back effectively 10m if not!

didds

You still get a similar situation with a fluffed clearance from 5m in the in-goal that goes to someone 5m out, tackled by a player who was on the try-line at the time of the kick. You know you're right, and you know one team will never forgive you for it.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
You still get a similar situation with a fluffed clearance from 5m in the in-goal that goes to someone 5m out, tackled by a player who was on the try-line at the time of the kick. You know you're right, and you know one team will never forgive you for it.

I can't tell if you are suggesting that you can't be offside in-goal.....or not?

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
No, just that the defenders will be convinced of that, and when proven wrong will be convinced that you can't expect them to let the other team just score, so there must be some law you're overlooking.