Only helping the ref!

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
A small fracas happens close to the touchline. The fracas was caused by dangerous/foul play.
A blue team squad member steps one pace in to the field of play and grabs hold of an on field team mate to stop him getting involved and in trouble. The fracas ends very quickly, after which the captain of the red team reports to the ref that the blue squad member has come onto the pitch without permission and interfered with play and want the ref to penalise him. The AR confirms that he did step into the field of play.
The blue player's actions probably helped the fracas to subside. When the fracas ends a red player is yellow carded for the original offence.
What would you do?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Blue touchliners would be asked to stand behind the barriers for the remainder of the match ( as one of them has failed to observe pitch encroachment protocol)

& then id simply restart the game with a PK to Blue.

Presumably Red wanted blue encroacher sent off / barred from playing????

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
So Red wants him sanctioned for "interfering with play" in that he did prevent a fight continuing by puling his own team-mate out?!

"Nice try, but no cigar."

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Clear the sidelines.
Look red in the face and go "no".
Restart.

I have no time at all for people trying to buy penalties. Degrades the game.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
This is a three tweet, how bout this?

1.Whistle and indicate PK to blue for red foul play.

2.Immediately whistle again and indicate PK to red for for encroachment

3.Immed whistle for third time/final time and re indicate PK to blue for dissent

OR

big "no' like Simon said above

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
how bout this?

2.Immediately whistle again and indicate PK to red for encroachment

3.Immed whistle for third time/final time and re indicate PK to blue for dissent

Ha ha, would look daft, but I like the idea .

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Have you used this call in the USA?

"You've not got your red flag out. Back 10."

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
This is a three tweet, how bout this?

2.Immediately whistle again and indicate PK to red for for encroachment

Presumably marching Red back 10 as well?

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
If the ref wanted to sanction the 'encroacher' in some way what could he do?
He couldn't send him away from the pitch because he was the replacement prop. Or could he? Yellow card him? His team will still have 15 on the pitch and he might not be needed until the second half anyway.
This scenario is not covered directly in law and led to an interesting debate after the match as to what exactly the ref could do in such circumstances. (Other than report the matter to the organisers for them to sanction the club after the game.)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
You can RC a sub. It doesn't affect the team on the pitch, they still have 15, but the RC player obviously can't come on, and will have the normal disciplinary process.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
You can RC a sub. It doesn't affect the team on the pitch, they still have 15, but the RC player obviously can't come on, and will have the normal disciplinary process.
Didnt that happen to Will Skinner of Quins?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Blue touchliners would be asked to stand behind the barriers for the remainder of the match ( as one of them has failed to observe pitch encroachment protocol)

& then id simply restart the game with a PK to Blue.

Presumably Red wanted blue encroacher sent off / barred from playing????

I'd certainly make a point of telling Blue captain that subs entering field to join into fracas is not on, may be liable to sanction, etc, etc.

Then give PK to Blue for first offence.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
"Skipper Red please. We spoke about this before the game. I ref, you play, please don't get the two mixed up again!"

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
A blue team squad member steps one pace in to the field of play and grabs hold of an on field team mate to stop him getting involved and in trouble.

I'd certainly make a point of telling Blue captain that subs entering field to join into fracas is not on, may be liable to sanction, etc, etc.
He was trying to prevent a team-mate from joining in - rather different.

If he had himself joined in that is a RC.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
in those circs EQUITY/ENJOYMENT seems to suggest at least to me that blue entrant needs no penalty. Maybe just a gentle word in the ear at most.

If you do penalise him - what about a police officer that was a spectator?

And if that police officer was actually the player that entered? But with his Policeman's hat on ...

didds

viper492

Post Likes
As a general question:

If a player on the bench runs in to join a fight or makes any other illegal action; if the offence would be punishable with a YC, does one
1a) Penalise, YC and ask team to reduce numbers on pitch by one
1b) Penalise, YC and leave with 15 on park
1c) Penalise?

and if red were to be warranted;

2a) Penalise, RC + 14 left on the park
2b) Penalise, RC + 15 on park?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
In this instance there is no justification for removing a player who has done nothing wrong.

You can refuse to allow the sub to come on later - effectively a RC. - and you can submit a disciplinary report. I don't see that showing the RC does any harm, but it is not clear if that is the correct procedure.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
As a general question:

If a player on the bench runs in to join a fight or makes any other illegal action; if the offence would be punishable with a YC, does one
1a) Penalise, YC and ask team to reduce numbers on pitch by one
1b) Penalise, YC and leave with 15 on park
1c) Penalise?

and if red were to be warranted;

2a) Penalise, RC + 14 left on the park
2b) Penalise, RC + 15 on park?

Viper,
FWIW I cannot think I'd ever give a YC to a bencher that runs to join in, he's either being helpful by separating players OR his joining 'action' that you say is worthy of YC, would get him a RC from me. His only pitch encroachment mitigation is as a bonafide brawl preventer, its never a brawl Fueller.

Once you've decided he is a RC case, then I wouldnt remove non-offending pitch participants as some form of additional team punishment. Although the captain of his team would be left in no doubt as to my view on him failing to control his bench !!

Unless someone can refer me to a regulation I've missed.:confused:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
you can RC a sub -- Alain Rolland demonstrated that when he RC Will Skinner for preventing a quick-throw.

the team still have 15 on the pitch, butr one fewer sub as the RC player can't come on (obviously) and he will have to go through the disciplinary process.

I don't see any point in showing a YC to a sub.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
In this instance there is no justification for removing a player who has done nothing wrong.

You can refuse to allow the sub to come on later - effectively a RC. - and you can submit a disciplinary report. I don't see that showing the RC does any harm, but it is not clear if that is the correct procedure.

He has done wrong. He's enter the FOP without invitation. Such action and people "getting involved" can inflame situations (one mans "helping" is anothers "getting involved". However, assuming the OP is accurate it was "understandable". A word - make it clear that you (and your ARs, if you have them) are in charge of the game not him. and no penalty for it - Deal with the issue that cause the bust up.

Of course you can card a sub as per...

you can RC a sub -- Alain Rolland demonstrated that when he RC Will Skinner for preventing a quick-throw.

the team still have 15 on the pitch, butr one fewer sub as the RC player can't come on (obviously) and he will have to go through the disciplinary process.

I don't see any point in showing a YC to a sub.

There is a point, in fact two points at least:

He can't come on for 10 minutes. That could become important.

Also if he does come on he is one step away from a red. He therefore is "on a warning" and needs to tread carefully.