Own Try

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
You're not in the inner sanctum yet until you have 50 (??) posts? But no doubt a trusting site moderator will be along shortly to 'let you in' to the secret section.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
What is the point of the TMO if they can get such a call so badly wrong?

A ref, in the heat of the game, will possibly get that moment of confusion. The TMO? Sorry but that call is awful.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't access that link either so 50 post does not appear to be the cut off point.

Ronald

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Shocking, to say the least. I read somewhere that somebody tried to justify the call based on the fact that both teams have yellow on their shoulders...sorry, but 1st look told me what happened!

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
By contrast it took me at least three watches, even though I'd been primed for what was going to happen, to work out exactly who was on which team. Bloody stupid jersey design, serve them all right.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don' think it was the yellow sleeves. I think

so
- the referee was unsighted and under the impression that the ball was being carried by an attacker -- but wasn't sure whether the ball was grounded over the line or not.
- he asks if it was grounded.
- the TMO can see that it was a defender with the ball, but it doesn't occur to him that the ref thought otherwise, the TMO thinks the ref is worried about whether the ball touched the ground to give away a 5m scrum
- the ball DID touch the ground, so it was a 5m scrum, TMO confirms simply, that the ball was grounded. He doesn' mention by whom, as to him it was obvious
- the ref - for whom this whole discussion has been a try / no try conversation ... hears th eball was grounded so naturally awards the try.

Without hearing all the conversation we can't tell whose fault it is. Someone wasn't communicating (or someone wasn't listening)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
You're not in the inner sanctum yet until you have 50 (??) posts? But no doubt a trusting site moderator will be along shortly to 'let you in' to the secret section.

i must have about 50 million posts and it doens;t work for me either.

But then - I am not a carrier of the whistle...

If I was a club ref would i gain access incidentally?

didds

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I suspect Crossref's analysis of how it happened is correct.
Given that this made the news, I guess the TMO didn't come back to the ref saying something along the lines of "what the hell are you doing? It was a defender, so it's a 5m scrum". Embarrassing, but far better than giving the try.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Just seen the video for the first time - omg worse than I thought.

Clear defensive player to deck, blocker on ruck position, ball placed back for ruck and it appears carefully put in okay, scrum half kicks and clears.

Referee makes a howler as he should have been clear to see it himself , as he is in position in goal and has clear view. As for the TMO his decision and perception of what he saw is incredible - I suspect a few weeks without any appointments for now.

And wtf is the referee wearing, he looks like a bar room drop out in a black T-shirt.

Glad we have TMOs like KML1 here in England.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Glad we have TMOs like KML1 here in England.

Holding back my judgement on that until he's been to Fortress Welford :wink: :biggrin:

I bet when the Referee watched it back, he had that pit of the stomach sick feeling!!

Can't hear what he says too much because the commentators are talking over him, but I heard him say something like "can you look at the grounding?"

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
A case of poor communication all round for mine.

As sketchy as the ref's communication was, I would have thought that the TMO should have come back with, "The ball has been grounded in-goal by the defending (colour) team's player".

Incidentally, the ref is Ian Smith who has refereed Super 15 Rugby and is still regularly an AR in S15. One of the ARs was Angus Gardiner who had a pretty reasonable year reffing at S15 level this year. Not sure who the other AR was or who the TMO was.

My question is, what the hell was the Rays captain doing? If that happened (albeit without a TMO) in just about ANY level of rugby in Aus, you can bet that the defending team's captain would be straight in there letting the ref know that it was his team placing the ball. I'm sure that if that would have happened last night, Ian Smith would have gone back to the TMO again to check who grounded the ball.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
i must have about 50 million posts and it doens;t work for me either.

But then - I am not a carrier of the whistle...

If I was a club ref would i gain access incidentally?

didds
Banking on it's the "referees only" secret section (it's where we get nasty about coaches and promulgate unwritten laws :pepper::biggrin:) so I'd say that's the issue based on your user profile.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
That we never use for an opinion?

We may as well just have a TV director showing the angles. (but they get paid more than the match fee)

I understand the point you're making, but the whole point of the process at the moment is that the referee leads (which leads to better consistency with the rest of the performance) and the TMO is empowered (and encouraged) to challenge. Still a work in progress, but certainly working better than previously.