Peeing on the pitch

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Yeh. It's a bit of piss? Soon dries, play on.
It may be "a bit of piss" but his shorts and socks are now piss-sodden and not pleasant for the opposition to tackle.

And before someone pipes up with "You're over-reacting. It's nothing" you don't really believe that do you! If you honestly do believe that it's nothing, would you be happy for someone to drag your teams kit bag off the bus, open it and piss in it? No!

Well it clearly isn't "nothing" then is it!

Last edited:

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
By all means if the prop turns away at a scrum to urinate, covering the opposition then by all means escalate!

Half time, in a field, on a small patch of ground - minor matter that may need a polite request

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
The OP states it is half time. I don't think it unreasonable that Mr Pissy Pants gets off into the undergrowth or against the vegetation round the field perimeter assuming the changing rooms were a long walk. I may chosse to ignore one one off piss but anymore I think I'd mention it to the Captain and let him pull a face and shrug.

In my experience the only field I know where there is a lack of cover and the changing rooms are a good way off is Herringthorpe playing fields in Rotherham however a good pressurised piss could wash some of the dog shit away.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't believe there's a specific law against it though...?

Most common is drunk and disorderly, or public exposure?

Just saying it isn't crime of the century that's all :)

actually 'i was only having a pee' is the usual defence to a charge of indecent exposure.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
There are lots of other bodily fluids that end up on the pitch at all times.

Blood, Vomit, snot, saliva and all these without issue as generally the player is doing so unwillingly. The Pee is no better or worse than some of these, but I feel the fact that they have chosen to do it on the pitch, instead of walking a maximum 35m away and doing it off the side is certainly ungentlemanly conduct and would deserve a red card just for the disrepect factor, let alone the illigal factor. And I don't believe any Judiciary would find a Red card for pissing on the pitch harsh.

I would probably have the same issue with a sub who was on the sideline walking on to the pitch to throw up. He is perfectly capable of walking the same distance in the other direction.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
It may be "a bit of piss" but his shorts and socks are now piss-sodden and not pleasant for the opposition to tackle.
Are you for real? If you really take this stance, presumably when you find yourself in the bog before heading out, adn see the Home Team prop having a slash in the urninal next to you, you insist that he change his "piss-sodden" shorts and socks before leaving the building? Even in my mid fifties, I know that I for one am still able to point Percy at the porcelain without unduly staining my socks! I'm fairly confident about my underwear too.

And before someone pipes up with "You're over-reacting. It's nothing" you don't really believe that do you! If you honestly do believe that it's nothing, would you be happy for someone to drag your teams kit bag off the bus, open it and piss in it? No!
But nor would I refuse to play on a public park pitch if, when I was leaving the bus, I saw a dog take a leak on the half-way mark. Nor, in fact, would I do so if I saw the dog crap on the half-way mark, assuming the owner picked up the poop. This sort of event takes place probably tens of times per day on the average public park pitch - when do you imagine it suddenly became sterile just before kick-off on match day?

Well it clearly isn't "nothing" then is it!
But nor is it a big "something". Not ideal, but not cause to abandon a game due to an unfit pitch, IMO.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Are you for real?
Definitely. :biggrin:

... If you really take this stance, presumably when you find yourself in the bog before heading out, adn see the Home Team prop having a slash in the urninal next to you, you insist that he change his "piss-sodden" shorts and socks before leaving the building? Even in my mid fifties, I know that I for one am still able to point Percy at the porcelain without unduly staining my socks! I'm fairly confident about my underwear too.
I was referring to the man in the video - ie the one in Post 2 who pissed in his shorts on the pitch and just 6 minutes 55 seconds into the game. I have no problem with a player going off to the side and pissing in a hedge, but if the beardy in Post 2 needed a slash that badly why not have one in the changing rooms?

... But nor is it a big "something". Not ideal, but not cause to abandon a game due to an unfit pitch, IMO.
Nobody has mentioned abandoning a match.

Last edited:

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Whatever about taking a leak without taking out the hose....

I have seen a pro player during the warm up before a H Cup game kneel at the base of the post, take the hose out and pee. All this some 7-8m from where spectators (including children) were gathered to watch a world class 10 practice kick at the same posts!

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Does that mean you can slash where you like in the Winter?
I see that there are new rules regarding inappropriate and offensive posts.

I would hope that these rules would cover puns as bad as this, and that LLP will be looking at doing some hard time.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I see that there are new rules regarding inappropriate and offensive posts.

I would hope that these rules would cover puns as bad as this, and that LLP will be looking at doing some hard time.

I thought that was one of my better ones.

I am keenly awaiting someone clever to come up with a "Badoom tiss" emoticon for me to use.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Have this one on me sir.

I can't see it - it's just a box with a red x in it.

However when I click on it it goes to a resticted website (I'm at work) I'll look later. Cheers.

Mini P

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Replying to the OP only, I've always given a yellow card for this.

I've probably given 4-5 yellows in 125 games including peeing on the pitch before the start (team starting with 14) and at half time.

Makes a good laugh later in the bar.

Mini P

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
When did she piss on the pitch?