Peeling props

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Didn't happen to me so I can only pass the info I have on.

SM v LV at the weekend. SM set up a LO near half way and for the sake of this discussion the LO is set, static receivers... (i.e. no dynamic pre-throw movement).

Hooker throws the ball in and as the ball is leaving his hands the SM prop peels off and starts to run on an arc behind the receiver (say 5m away). Ball is tipped down to the receiver and then the dynamic prop receives a pass from the receiver and steams forward.

Call?

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
The only requirements for a player peeling off are:

1. The player peeling off does do only after the ball leaves the thrower's hands
2. Player peeling off must stay in an area between the line of touch and 10m from the line of touch (i.e. the offside line of the non-participating players on his team), and of course within 15m from the touch line (otherwise he/she has left the lineout early).

Is the intent that the "ball knocked or passed back by a team-mate" has to be the player in the air? I dont see that this is required.

Both 1 and 2 are satisfied above. I dont see a problem....yet:shrug:

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Exactly what I said to the question as well.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
^^^ same here. before I read the responses I was thinking...1-don't leave early, 2-stay within 10m...

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Tongue in cheek

All we need now is a foreign ref to tell us we're wrong:biggrin:

/Tongue in cheek
^^^ same here. before I read the responses I was thinking...1-don't leave early, 2-stay within 10m...

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Agree with Bryan.
Because he can tell the time. And count 'n stuff. He's an Engineer, y'know.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The only requirements for a player peeling off are:

1. The player peeling off does do only after the ball leaves the thrower's hands
2. Player peeling off must stay in an area between the line of touch and 10m from the line of touch (i.e. the offside line of the non-participating players on his team), and of course within 15m from the touch line (otherwise he/she has left the lineout early).
3. He must keep moving.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Good point. The prop definitely did that as that was his main motive.

This sounds like quite a good move.

Next point is how many players can peel at once. Could you have a dynamic scattering of players?

3. He must keep moving.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
No issues with it if it was timed right.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
all sounds legal to me as long as he keeps moving

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Has this changed recently? :chin:

I must admit I didn't realise the peeling off player had such a big area to move in ..... until I just read 19.12(b).

Until now, I assumed he had to stay close to the Lineout - it would certainly look wrong to me if he peeled off in a huge arc 9.95m from his LOT, ran behind his SH, only to run 9.95m forward again before he's even crossed the gain line, but the law does allow it.

19.12 PEELING OFF
(b) A player who peels off, must stay within the area from that player’s line of touch to 10 metres from the line of touch, and must keep moving until the lineout has ended.
Sanction: Free Kick on the 15-metre line, in line with the line of touch.

You learn sumfink every day eh? :biggrin:

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
[LAWS]A lineout player 'peels off' when leaving the lineout to catch the ball knocked or passed back by a team-mate.[/LAWS]I think what was originally envisaged was the ball coming directly from a team-mate in the lineout, but the wording does allow the receiver to act as an intermediary.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Has this changed recently? :chin:

19.12 PEELING OFF
(b) A player who peels off, must stay within the area from that player’s line of touch to 10 metres from the line of touch, and must keep moving until the lineout has ended.
Sanction: Free Kick on the 15-metre line, in line with the line of touch.

2007 is the oldest Law Book I've got and it's in there as above.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The change was made in 2001. Before then the peeler had to stay "near the lineout".

but which still applies at U11 U12 in RFU-land

[LAWS]All “peeling off” movements must be close to and parallel with the line out.
Players must keep moving. Lifting/supporting is prohibited at this level (ie a
player may not bind to a jumper until they return to the ground). The player
designated to receive the ball (ie the scrum half) may not enter the line out
to compete for the ball.[/LAWS]
http://www.rfu.com/TheGame/Regulations

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
This is why I put this up. As ex-players a lot of us carry forward the knowledge from playing days too and sometimes your brain doesn't catch up until it happens in a game.

Not to sound like Chopper but what do people think of having multiple peelers. The way the law is written (singular) it sounds like you should only have one peeler but it can certainly be read that many could peel as the law doesn't say must receive the pass.
The change was made in 2001. Before then the peeler had to stay "near the lineout".

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
The way the law is written (singular) it sounds like you should only have one peeler but it can certainly be read that many could peel as the law doesn't say must receive the pass.

There was a thread about/similar to this a few weeks ago.

I thought it sounded familiar - it was me!!!!!!:biggrin:

Two peeling Montpellier v Leinster

Last edited:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
.... what do people think of having multiple peelers. The way the law is written (singular) it sounds like you should only have one peeler but it can certainly be read that many could peel as the law doesn't say must receive the pass.
No problem with multiple peelers surely? We used it to great effect - in fact it was one of our best moves. :biggrin:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
No problem with multiple peelers surely? We used it to great effect - in fact it was one of our best moves. :biggrin:
You weren't playing fopr South Wales Police by any chance? :biggrin: