Pre Match Brief

cbusbyni

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Hi guys... long time reader- first time poster, it's good to get involved :) ! Have a few quick questions as to what you cover in you're prematch brief, generally in our society (Ulster Branch) I have been told to keep it fairly brief with the thinking being that by having long drawn out conversation you are just giving them rope to hang you with, leading to "but sir... you said before the match that..."

As things stand, I do a stud check and speak to the front rows asking from a long, high bind from both props, that they are square on engagement and that they don't push before the ball comes in. I go over my speed of engagement sequence, stressing that any early engagement will be FK'd. I speak to the 9 and ask him to get the ball in as soon as I form the scrum (with a straight put in).

That's pretty much it... at the coin toss I will tell the captains that their teams disipline is their responsibility and that I wont be discussing any decisions (during the match) with anyone else.

Anything else you think is important to add?

Cheers,

Chris

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Hi cbusbyni

welcome to the forum!

i think you about have it covered, people will always come up with, oh i say X and i say Y, but to be honst you've got it about right.

the only other person i have a very quick word with is the #10 just to make sure he's happy with managing the 5's and 10's metre.

withe the FR's i always ask to speak to "anyone in the front row or anyone that could end up there!"

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
ask them to remove their leggings :biggrin:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Delighted you've taken the plunge, cbusbyni. I think you've got it pretty much spot on. My own brief calls for the FR, FR replacements and both half backs. I deal with 10 first - lineout and scrum offsides are his responsibility; I can help at the lineout with a raised hand, but at a scrum I need him to keep them back. I'll only look up with the ball at #8's feet.

SH - much as you say, but I also give him explicit licence to dig the ball clear of obstructions at rucks, with him being fair game as soon as it's clear. When there's no obstruction, keep hands off until ready to go. I do think you need to tell him your expectations at quick tap penalties - within a metre of me and behind, unless it's a scrum in which case go from behind the #8.

How long have you been reffing, and how does the grading structure go in Ulster? What does A1 denote? Top dog or newbie? :)

cbusbyni

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
How long have you been reffing, and how does the grading structure go in Ulster? What does A1 denote? Top dog or newbie? :)

Fairly new to the game- I had an injury in school that has stopped me playing so been at it about a year or so now- only completed about 12-15 games due to hitting a couple of really bad spells of bad weather. We start as a trial member, then move to 1C, then 1B etc., hopefully after my assessment tomorrow I'll inch up to 2A :) which would take me to junior league 1/2 which is effectively the top standard of 2nd XV rugby. Have to say the support structures are really good from the IRFU, I've been fortunate enough to find myself on a couple of development groups (I think mainly because of my age (24)) where we look at specific aspects of the game etc.

richie

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
i also mention to FRs that if they have a problem dont sort it out your self come to me via capt and we'll sort it out that way. gives me a rod to beat them.
Was going to start a tread about pre match speech but i'll stick it here.
Q. Should assessors attend the pre match brief?

Have been talking to my club 2nd and 3rd capts and they regularly say refs waffle on and on giving the pointy fingure lecture at pre match briefs. These would be mostly be refs in first to third years. Surely an assessor, if present would guide ref in right direction:)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Q. Should assessors attend the pre match brief?

Have been talking to my club 2nd and 3rd capts and they regularly say refs waffle on and on giving the pointy fingure lecture at pre match briefs. These would be mostly be refs in first to third years. Surely an assessor, if present would guide ref in right direction:)

I find most referee are happy for me to listen in, though I know some have taken the view that it is their private time with the players. I find it useful to know what they have said.

I had one referee some time back who was VERY long-winded. One player started doing some warm-up exercises; others were looking quizzically at me (I was standing behind him on that occasion). Afterwards I reminded him it is a BRIEFing and we discussed it. Fortunately that was a one-off.

Agustin

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
One thing I've done is to leave the mic on my radio open during the briefing. The assessor can then be sitting in the bleachers (and I don't look like I have someone holding my hand) and hear everything.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
One thing I've done is to leave the mic on my radio open during the briefing. The assessor can then be sitting in the bleachers (and I don't look like I have someone holding my hand) and hear everything.

What about the guitar? On it's stand, round your neck or off with the roadie getting tuned?

ballsie

ballsie
Post Likes
Im always pleased if the players actually listen, when you get to my age every breath is precious and I dont like wasting mine saying things twice

Agustin

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
What about the guitar? On it's stand, round your neck or off with the roadie getting tuned?

The guitar is OK around my neck though it sometimes gets in the way when I'm signaling a penalty.

The drum kit is the real nightmare! I'm always glad when the TJs are willing to lend a hand.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
don't forget to actually ask the question to FR and replacements ST&E and 18.
I also tell all players in earshot especially SH, Quick taps, ask me for the mark, I'll point if necessary and if I don't see you play it you haven't took it.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
The guitar is OK around my neck though it sometimes gets in the way when I'm signaling a penalty.

The drum kit is the real nightmare! I'm always glad when the TJs are willing to lend a hand.

Well, you know what they say, there are musicians and then there are drummers!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
My standard practice, if the referee doesn't mind.

dribblywhistle

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
From my experience it is prudent to say as little as is required. Players after all know how to play they train 2-3 times per week, if a referee dicates how he will referee certain situations before a game and then fails to deliver he looses all credibility. We as referees can do our talking on the pitch using a combination of brief and concise verbal instructions coupled with sensible application of advantage and /or correct sanctions. Remember you are judged on your performance on the field not in the dressing room beforehand!

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
From my experience it is prudent to say as little as is required. Players after all know how to play they train 2-3 times per week, if a referee dicates how he will referee certain situations before a game and then fails to deliver he looses all credibility. We as referees can do our talking on the pitch using a combination of brief and concise verbal instructions coupled with sensible application of advantage and /or correct sanctions. Remember you are judged on your performance on the field not in the dressing room beforehand!

welcome to the board. totally agree with you. 100%. below is my pre match briefing verbatim:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
welcome to the board. totally agree with you. 100%. below is my pre match briefing verbatim:

So no FR brief, no safety brief?

I suspect your brief is like your management....................lacking in substance :booty::biggrin:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I would have major concerns with a referee's management techniques, if he gives no brief or doesn't establish any initial communication at all. It should be short, sharp and to the point, perhaps two minutes long. This is the opportunity to lay out basic standards and requirements, followed by the first 10 minutes of play ("early doors") when the referee establishes his control.

In England the FR brief is a mandatory requirement for the RFU.