[Law] Pre match briefings

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I find a comprehensive PMB is better for me and it goes along the lines of

Tackle - Below the line of the shoulders please. Don't neck roll an opponent at ruck or maul and keep the legs below horizontal.
Ruck - Stay on your feet please. The ball carrier may steady the ball for the scrum half and the scrum half may dig it out, all other players leave it alone and if the BC removes his hand off the ball, leave it alone. Join through the gate please
Maul - DO NOT try and collapse it, I will say stopped when I consider it to have stopped and Use it when I need the ball to come out and be played.
If the ball is unplayable at a ruck or maul I will blow nice and quickly.
Lineouts - Straight down the middle please and a nice clear gap. All players not involved make sure you're back 10. I'll tell you if I'm unhappy with your distance.
Scrums - Front rows, I will use C - B - S and will wait till we're stable before we move on. Engage straight and drive straight please and long binds as well. Scrum half I'll give you a signal when I'm happy for you to put the ball in. Make sure it's in straight as well.
Discipline - Captain you're responsible for your teams discipline, if you're unsure why I've awarded a penalty ask me at an appropriate time. DO NOT complain about the penalty being awarded. DO NOT RETALIATE, I may not see the original incident but I will see the retaliation and penalise accordingly.

Does anyone have any questions?

I do a comprehensive brief as I find it makes my life easier on the pitch.

I have some. Why so much? Have you tried just giving the bare essentials (CBS and just saying "all talk through you captain")? If not, why not?

Boot

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Check with coach/team organiser when I can check kit/studs and where they will be at that time.

I allow them to finish a drill if warming up but not to take the proverbial – they set the time (so it’s important to be there at the appointed time) “Coach we agreed 25 past get them in please,”

Once kit is checked, call over Skipper, Front Rows, Scrum Half and Fly Half occasionally if the Skipper is a back the pack leader will join. Identify Front Rows (and replacements) identify Hooker and advise that I want him (her) to set up just to the left of the mark, props, outside arms bind on top, not on arms. Set expectation re engagement call, the cadence I will use and that the key element is balance at every stage, especially on Bind, ear to ear with a gap across the scrum.

Ask who is front man at Lineout, advise that I will make a mark for the non-throwing side, on your throw when you arrive set a gap off the opponent. Thanks front row, your all done.

Scrum half and 10, SH, the scrum I’ll be at the front for the first couple if the front rows are behaving I’ll be out of the way. Tap on the back or thumbs up means its ready for you to throw the ball in.

Any quickies from the scrum, if the FR are up on their feet from behind the Number 8. For all quick taps, eye contact with me if I am not on the mark, and a proper tap please. At ruck off the ground in the SH’s hands is out, I’ll let you get it set (ball moved back, legs out of the way etc.,) I’ll work with you we both want quick and clean ball.

10, lineouts setup and keep the gap until the lineout is over I’ll keep you back.

At some point (not every match) you get from someone who has not been paying attention, a “when’s the ball out sir?” I tell them to listen to my voice during the match and “if you hear a loud blast on the whistle, you got it wrong.” And then repeat the ball is out whn it is off the ground in SH’s hands

Takes about 3 minutes all told, important to have good eye contact and body posture

With the skippers briefing I remind them of the need to identify to me their Touch Judges and medical staff. I advise them that they have the responsibility for managing their players whilst I manage the game, if I have to step in to manage individuals then we are not working as a team I do specify that I will not accept a running commentary (he’s knocked it on, he’s offside, not straight etc. et al.) from either side and if they do not control it I will deal with those who consider themselves commentators. Complete the toss, choice of ends/kick and if not made immediately inform the winners that at the 5 minute knock I need their decision (and make sure that you knock them first….) Agree with both skippers that on the 2 minute knock it’s not an invite to slam the door and do their final war chants, it’s an instruction to come straight out, my parting comment to the skippers is normally, “have a good game guys, and remember my decisions start after your guys mistakes,”

Skipper briefing is no more than a couple of minutes and again confidence is key.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
there are a lot of very different approaches, at every level !

but for me I think a referee PMB should avoid sarcasm.

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
important to have good eye contact and body posture

Regardless of what is said, this is crucial. If they stop listening, you should stop talking.

I remember one overly didactic PMB where a couple of players actually started doing some warm-up stretching, yet the referee still droned on.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I find a comprehensive PMB is better for me and it goes along the lines of

Tackle - Below the line of the shoulders please. Don't neck roll an opponent at ruck or maul and keep the legs below horizontal.
Ruck - Stay on your feet please. The ball carrier may steady the ball for the scrum half and the scrum half may dig it out, all other players leave it alone and if the BC removes his hand off the ball, leave it alone. Join through the gate please
Maul - DO NOT try and collapse it, I will say stopped when I consider it to have stopped and Use it when I need the ball to come out and be played.
If the ball is unplayable at a ruck or maul I will blow nice and quickly.
Lineouts - Straight down the middle please and a nice clear gap. All players not involved make sure you're back 10. I'll tell you if I'm unhappy with your distance.
Scrums - Front rows, I will use C - B - S and will wait till we're stable before we move on. Engage straight and drive straight please and long binds as well. Scrum half I'll give you a signal when I'm happy for you to put the ball in. Make sure it's in straight as well.
Discipline - Captain you're responsible for your teams discipline, if you're unsure why I've awarded a penalty ask me at an appropriate time. DO NOT complain about the penalty being awarded. DO NOT RETALIATE, I may not see the original incident but I will see the retaliation and penalise accordingly.

Does anyone have any questions?

I do a comprehensive brief as I find it makes my life easier on the pitch.

This seems a bit much to me. You've given them a lot of advice upon points of law (which are universal), but very little about your interpretation on any points (which are unique to you).

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
This seems a bit much to me. You've given them a lot of advice upon points of law (which are universal), but very little about your interpretation on any points (which are unique to you).

This reminds me that I used to say "I like to play a lot of advantage", which is utterly useless. Mind you, I still say it, but I add "For example, if there is a high tackle, I will call advantage unless there is an injury issue" (or words to that effect). This is for grassroots/juniors where there is usually little malice but plenty of lack of skill.

Plenty of captains are happy that I'm not whistle-happy, but it doesn't help them unless they know I'll call advantage when I see it.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
This reminds me that I used to say "I like to play a lot of advantage", which is utterly useless. Mind you, I still say it, but I add "For example, if there is a high tackle, I will call advantage unless there is an injury issue" (or words to that effect). This is for grassroots/juniors where there is usually little malice but plenty of lack of skill.

Plenty of captains are happy that I'm not whistle-happy, but it doesn't help them unless they know I'll call advantage when I see it.

I've found the same thing about not being whistle happy, but I don't really mention advantage in my PMB - I just shout about it when anything like that comes up.

May be worth adding though - I have had teams stop for foul play when I would have played advantage.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
As with a lot of things in life, IMO the PMB should be "under promise, over deliver". Don't say you will do something and then don't follow through, so if you leave stuff vague and only give the bare essential information you will be able to over deliver on what you have stated.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
As with a lot of things in life, IMO the PMB should be "under promise, over deliver". Don't say you will do something and then don't follow through, so if you leave stuff vague and only give the bare essential information you will be able to over deliver on what you have stated.

Rule of thumb seems to be whatever the ref stresses in his pre-match is the last thing he cares about in the game.

Had one a couple of weeks ago where all he talked about was the tackle/ruck. Something like "I want to see the tackler roll away straight away and both teams stay on their feet when they arrive - no sealing off" - except he took about 5 minutes, which seemed like 10 and involved lots of gestures and demonstrations. It proceeded to be the worst game I have ever seen for mess at the breakdown as both teams took the puss all game and he did nothing. Myself and the other coach had a good laugh about it over a beer later.

My captain (also a ref and a coach) makes it a point to always ask the ref about the latest WR or local society communication, eg. the maul obstruction at lineout. He reckons it shows whether the ref is up to date and takes his job seriously. Funnily enough the ref mentioned above looked blank when asked. As it was in front of the whole team that didn't get him off to a good start.

My PMB is extremely short - captain, 9 and front row (full tight 5 in juniors as here we are required to confirm they know the "Mayday" procedure before we can have a game).

The only thing I say to the team as whole at the boot check is "put any questions through [insert captains name here]" and may add the colour identification I'll be using if its questionable, eg both teams jerseys are predominantly the same colour; if its blue & white v blue & gold - "you'll be white, they'll be gold"

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
there's a chicken-and-egg thing here : if there is a belief out there that long PMBs correlate with poor performance, then just for that reason a ref may be advised to avoid a long PMB... just to avoid setting an unwelcome expectation. Why make it harder for yourself.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
My captain (also a ref and a coach) makes it a point to always ask the ref about the latest WR or local society communication, eg. the maul obstruction at lineout.

Farck - do you reckon I could get away with "skipper, let's worry about that if it happens" :)

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
"You tell me your understanding and I'll tell you if it's OK"

Boot

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Follows on from general direction given a few years back,

If you have three/six FR's chewing the grass you have no idea if you have a serious injury lurking in the midst, a few moments to allow the players to disentangle is no bad thing, especally as 99% of referees officiate without an attendent team of Physios, Team and Offcial Doctors to fall back on.

Fatboy_Ginge

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I have some. Why so much? Have you tried just giving the bare essentials (CBS and just saying "all talk through you captain")? If not, why not?

Last line... If I tell them beforehand I can just say to the captain, if there's a problem, "I told you this at the pre-match brief." This means that there's no comeback at me. That's a standard brief for me. I also tell the coach beforehand that the players need to listen as it's a comprehensive brief that'll cover everything I'm looking for.

It works for me as I tend to not have to whistle too often.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Last line... If I tell them beforehand I can just say to the captain, if there's a problem, "I told you this at the pre-match brief." This means that there's no comeback at me.

****in hell Sir, you told us your entire life history at the brief, we can't be expected to remember everything!

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I also tell the coach beforehand that the players need to listen as it's a comprehensive brief that'll cover everything I'm looking for.

So I take it that you have no interest in the 3/4s' offside lines at the scrum?

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Last line... If I tell them beforehand I can just say to the captain, if there's a problem, "I told you this at the pre-match brief." This means that there's no comeback at me. That's a standard brief for me. I also tell the coach beforehand that the players need to listen as it's a comprehensive brief that'll cover everything I'm looking for.

It works for me as I tend to not have to whistle too often.

I tend not to have to whistle too much either and say 2 sentences. I think you're just creating a rod for your own back if you don't follow through with a lot of things in your PMB. We all can have off days and if you mention it in the PMB and don't follow through then you've lost credibility.