Pre-Season Training

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Thought I would set up this thread for those of us in the middle of our annual Hell.

How about we make it that every Monday you post weight, how fit you are feeling, what you will be doing this week, diet, and your goal.

I'll start.

I have a very aggressive pre season programme as I have left it quite late this year:

Start weight: 99KG
How fit do I feel: As fit as Gina Rinehart.
Training this week:
Mon (today): Hour in gym in morn.
Tue: Hour swimming in morn. Hour Gym in Evening.
Wed: None (site trip to NW).
Thur: Hour swim morn
Fri: Hour gym
Sat: Rest
Sun: 2km beach run.

Diet: 5:2 Fast diet

Goal: 92kg by start of season.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Start weight: 73kg
How fit do I feel: pretty good. I've been doing weights, running and walking steadily over Dec/Jan. I need to be ready for a 100km Oxfam walk in May.

This week:
Monday - 8km road run
Tuesday - Weight session pre-work
Wednesday - ref training starts. Not sure what the program is yet
Thursday - regular 1 hour Step Into Life cardio class (running of some type)
Friday - 1 hour circuit class at gym
Saturday - 4 km road run. Maybe 15 km bushwalk with son
Sunday - 1 hour circuit class at gym

goal - 72 or 73 kg with 6 pack

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Started 1 Dec 2013
Start weight: 78kg (BMI ~ 25/26)

How fit did I feel: not bad, but jelly belly very unattractive.
Program: Low carb high protein diet. Cardio 4 x, weights 3x per week. 2 cardio sessions were HIIT 30min crossfit followed by 1 hr boxercise and 2x6km run with core training.
(Xmas day and NYE off with massive carb loading :pepper:)

This week:
Start weight: 75kg
Feeling great. 6-pack developing but still hidden by jelly belly (Damn it).
Monday - 7km on elliptical and core work (morning), weights (afternoon)
Tuesday - Weights
Wednesday - cardio (6km run) + core, and 18-holes of golf!
Thursday - cardio (6 km road run) and weights
Friday - cardio (90min mountain bike ride)
Saturday - cardio (probably beep test or 50-100m sprints of some sort) and weights (and 18 holes!)
Sunday - rest

goal - 72/73kg with ubber 6-pack that I can actually see. (But be fit for February 7s tourneys)

Last edited:

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Been training all year so I am still pretty fit, however a week down the coast with some friends drinking lots and eating terribly hasn't been the greatest prep. I have 3 weeks until Darwin as well, whilst I will be fit there I am looking at getting a little lighter as well.

Start weight: 90KG
How fit do I feel: Pretty fit, although could be better
Training this week:
Monday - Crossfit
Tuesday - Crossfit
Wednesday - VRRA training at night, might go to the CF class in the morning
Thursday - Morning run
Friday - Morning row
Saturday - Crossfit
Sunday - Rest/rehab stuff

Diet: Ketogenic, higher protein and fats with low carbs.

Goal: 85kg by Darwin, 82kg by the start of the season.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Last edited:

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
rhyming with foe? You haven't been married long enough to rhyme with cow :)

She's on school holidays, she isn't waking up before 10am.

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
I only dream of being a weight that starts with an 8, as for a 7! I'd have to stop eating altogether!

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
What's Crossfit like? Not done in my Healthclub. (I don't think).

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

If your healthclub is Les Mils affiliated, then they call it Grit (cardio, strength, plyo). It's probably not true crossfit, more of a hybrid, but it certainly is HIIT! It's a 30 min session that will burn 500+ cals and will shag you. I think it's great as it combines intense cardio and weights or body weight stuff.

I usually do this and follow it up with a boxercise class to totally punish myself.

Edit: I probably should have added that crossfit is just intense cardio movements using weights or your own body weight and movements, where you'll do the repetitions with maximum effort over say 30, 60, 120, 240 seconds and then the rest between sets is about half that. That continues for the full 30 mins.

Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I only dream of being a weight that starts with an 8, as for a 7! I'd have to stop eating altogether!

Dickie and I are probably only knee high to a grasshopper, so we should probably be in the 7s! (Im Basing that on the photos I've seen of dickie)
If we were in the 8s I'd say we'd be classified as 'obese'!

Last edited:

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

I get training ADHD a lot so the running and sprint sessions don't seem to work for me. I just don't enjoy them so it keeps me interested. I am also fitter than I have every been without needing to run lots. The most we will run in a session is 400m stuff, but then it's coupled with things like pull ups or burpees and then another run.

At the end of the day there is a lot right and a lot wrong with the CrossFit model. To open up a gym all you need to do is a 2 day course and then pay $3k to get "affiliated", so in theory I could drop everything tomorrow and do a course then open a gym. Luckily I have a little bit of knowledge when it comes to training but should I be in charge of a gym's programming and safety for the members? Hell no. This is one of the problems with CF, someone who has joined a gym and seen success with it quits their corporate job and then opens a gym, leading to injuries of it's members and crazy workouts which puts it's members at risk of rhabdo (a condition in which your kidneys stop working, you can get it from extreme HIIT and CF has a reputation for it)

Luckily the gym I go to the coaches are really switched on and will focus on strength first so we follow a linear strength program which cycles every 12 weeks and I am seeing my lifting numbers go up, my strength going up and my fitness is also going up. I am also interested in each session which is a big part of it for me.

For example we did the following last night:
Squats
8 reps @ 70% of 1RM - for me it was 90kg
8 reps @ 75% of 1RM - for me it was 95kg
5 reps @ 80% of 1RM - for me it was 105kg (should've been 100 but I was feeling good)
5 reps @ 85% of 1RM - for me it was 115kg (should've been 106 but I was feeling good)

Then a 5 minute break followed by this:
40-30-20-10
Wall Balls (take a medicine ball, do a squat and then throw the ball up 10' in the air so it touches a wall and then catch it, that is 1 rep) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29r5q9PAyek
Double unders (skipping with a rope but instead of the rope going around 1 time per jump it goes around 2 times) http://gymnasticswod.com/content/jump-rope-double-unders

Finished that in 12 minutes or something and then I did a 2km row afterwards.

- - - Updated - - -

How tall are you? I thought you were shorter than me, I reckon I could be able to hit under 80kg but I would need my body fat to be single figures.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I am 180cm.

I'm 185ish I think, if I can get down to low 80's I reckon you should be able to! Just need to give up booze and who wants to do that?!?!

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Seems that you guys go much harder than down here. I'm the only ref that I know that is in pre-season training, but have been doing it since October (only once or twice a week) with some of the boys from Easts and their mad trainer. Doing a cross-fit/bootcamp sort of thing, don't know what we are doing before we turn up so it can often be an unpleasant surprise! All sorts of sessions, from effort hill running to 12 days of Christmas to kettlebells and sprints. Enjoying it, sort of.

Increasing the workload now, but still trying to nurse the knee somewhat:
Club training - 2/3 times per week
Gym cardio work (rowing or cycle) - 2 times per week
Pushup/situp/squat/lunge sets - whenever I feel like it.

Weight sitting at 86-87 (down from my heaviest of 112 2.5 years ago) but have plateaued over the past 4-6 months. One doctor told me I should be at 72kg, which is a bit crazy as I haven't been that light since mid-high school! Even playing 2 games of hockey, an afternoon of badminton and another of rock climbing plus training for all three when I was at college I was still 79kg, I'm thick set through the legs (pity my upper body isn't the same or I would have made a better flanker).

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Dickie where were you last night?

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'll be there next week, for sure :hap: Don't want to peak too early

I won't be, I am off to see Jimmy Carr with the mrs. Although enjoy this:

Wednesday 15 January
Summary Min 23 Max 34 Sunny.
Melbourne area
Sunny. Light winds becoming south to southwesterly 15 to 20 km/h during the day.
I think Yuri said something about perhaps having a beach/pool session.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
better dust off the mankini, then