QTI scenario

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Red 11 takes a Quick Throw In, but when he throws the ball both his feet are clearly and obviously inside the Field of Play

Blue 9 intercepts the throw, catching the ball 7m from the touchline, and races down the pitch to score.

Decision?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
IF advantage is playable from this situation presumably a try.

If not, its Option of lineout or scrum.

[LAWS]18.4 At a quick throw, the ball is thrown in:

Between the mark of touch and the thrower’s own goal line; and

Parallel to or towards the thrower’s own goal line; and

So that it reaches the five-metre line before it touches the ground or hits a player; and

By a player whose feet are both outside the field of play.
Sanction: Option of lineout or scrum.[/LAWS]

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
In my head, this may be an occassion whereby advantage is not available becausae in truth the ball has not been returned to play correctly for play to continue.

But QTIs are a zombie ball situation so TBH Im not sure!

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
[LAWS]7.
Advantage must not be applied and the referee must blow the whistle immediately when:
A quick throw, free-kick or penalty is taken incorrectly.
...[/LAWS]

No try. option of lineout or scrum.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I'd rollick the ref for not blowing up before he 'raced down the pitch to score'.:smile:

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
What do you think of scenarios where the throwing in team have a player collect the ball, so a QTI is on, but an oppo stands in front to them blocking the QTI. In reality, there is no-one to pass to or opposition players are already covering so there is not really a QTI option but the player throws the ball into his opponent to try and gain the sanction.

My thoughts are no sanction, call captains in to state what you've seen (yes oppo should not be stood there blocking, but your player was trying to milk a sanction, both teams stop playing silly buggers, back to original LO). Would you penalise this as technically they have prevented the ball going 5m therefore a FK?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
What do you think of scenarios where the throwing in team have a player collect the ball, so a QTI is on, but an oppo stands in front to them blocking the QTI. In reality, there is no-one to pass to or opposition players are already covering so there is not really a QTI option but the player throws the ball into his opponent to try and gain the sanction.

My thoughts are no sanction, call captains in to state what you've seen (yes oppo should not be stood there blocking, but your player was trying to milk a sanction, both teams stop playing silly buggers, back to original LO). Would you penalise this as technically they have prevented the ball going 5m therefore a FK?

threadjack! start your own thread :biggrin:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Tell the thrower not to try and buy a cheap penalty.
Tell the opponent not to stand in the 5m channel again, or he will be penalised.
In other words...manage it.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
and if the oppo is standing in the way for a QTI that is on?

frankly - similarly for slow retirees at rucks etc - if you are in the bloody way don't be surprised if the ball hits you. just don;t bloody stand there being a twat.

didds

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
A player can always take a QTI to himself - but not if an opponent is standing right in front of him. Intentional Offending. PK.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
A player can always take a QTI to himself - but not if an opponent is standing right in front of him. Intentional Offending. PK.

I agree with that.
I PK the first time I see it

I actually think it should be clearly in the Law like retreating 10m for a PK , should have to run 5m from a Qti

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I had not thought of the penalty option for deliberate infringement but that’s clearly what’s happening here. I’ll use that next time, should knock any future attempts to block on the head quite quickly!

VM75

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
What do you think of scenarios where the throwing in team have a player collect the ball, so a QTI is on, but an oppo stands in front to them blocking the QTI.

I always FK the first instance i see of this, then explain 'loudly' that no-one has any business standing inside the 5m, doing so can only ever be intended to prevent a throw, so it matters not to me that the thrower makes an attempt to throw it.

IME if you cut out 'gamesmanship' early on, then players invariably desist from even attempting it again [another example is rolling the ball away/or dribbling it backwards at a FK to prevent a QKick]

others might choose the "manage it" approach, 1st FK award invariably does it for me.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Why not a PK

[LAWS]18.6. The ball must reach the five-metre line before it is played and a player must not prevent the ball from travelling five metres. Sanction: Free-kick.[/LAWS]

You can always go PK for deliberate infringement if you want - YMMV. One man's scrum "early engagement" is another man's "charging".

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
That law doesn't really fit, it's about what happens when the throw is taken

I think this one is closer .. this is about preventing a throw from being taken at all
[LAWS]. A player who carries the ball into touch must release the ball immediately so that a quick throw may be taken. Sanction: Penalty. [/LAWS]

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Might be worth trying to manage it the first time with a loud call so everyone knows your watching for it.
And remember as long as they are not within the 5m channel they are legal.
crossref - I thought that was only for the ball carrier not releasing the ball.