Quick Rant

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Monday staying at home for the man from PlusNet to install Ultra High Speed Fibre

Rang TalkTalk to cancel my crappy broadband that is only giving me a download speed of around 1.5MB, when it should have been around 30.

I have no idea where the call centre is based, but it took me 5 minutes to work out the guy was speaking in English!! Lost count of the number if times I had to ask him to repeat things...it was like a scene from Little Britain! Took me three times as long as it should have and drove me crazy. Kept asking him to speak slowly and clearly!

Contrast to PlusNet...Yorkshire based call centre, couldn't have been more helpful (or understandable...who'de have thought!) For the same price as TalkTalk I have Ultra Fast Fibre with a max speed of 75MB and guaranteed speed of between 55MB and 75MB

Can't wait to test it.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Rang TalkTalk to cancel my crappy broadband that is only giving me a download speed of around 1.5MB, when it should have been around 30.

I have no idea where the call centre is based, but it took me 5 minutes to work out the guy was speaking in English!! Lost count of the number if times I had to ask him to repeat things...it was like a scene from Little Britain! Took me three times as long as it should have and drove me crazy. Kept asking him to speak slowly and clearly!

Contrast to PlusNet...Yorkshire based call centre, couldn't have been more helpful (or understandable...who'de have thought!) For the same price as TalkTalk I have Ultra Fast Fibre with a max speed of 75MB and guaranteed speed of between 55MB and 75MB

Can't wait to test it.

Good afternoon PlusNet Broadband how may I help you?

View attachment 3516

I'll just ask my supervisor..

View attachment 3517

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
My experience of calling Plusnet support was 45 minute wait times no matter what time of the day or night I called.

Their supplied routers are shite. We got through 5 in under 3 years. They tried to tell me it was my home wiring and power etc but couldn't rationalise that with a decade of Zen previously, trouble free. They're as crap as talk talk.

In desperation we are now with bt infinity.

Didds

Last edited:

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
BT Infinity here too, after awful promises etc from Sky and poor experience of TalkTalk in a house share.

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Tried Sky and BT but came back to Virgin who, ive found , difficult to beat.
150 mbps fibre plus 4 mobile phones for a fiver each per month.
Worth a try if you can.

Fatboy_Ginge

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Never had problems with Plusnet, if anything the opposite.

I've never used the routers they supply until now as I'm too tight to cough £700 - £800 for a Cisco fibre router. I only use their router as the access point to the outside network and have an internal Cisco wireless and wired network

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
The Thomson routers plus net provide are rubbish. We got through five in 18 months. Call centre may be in Yorkshire but I never got through in under 30 minutes. They told me the outer supply in my house must be Rupert as to why these routers merit dieting, but couldn't explain how with seem in the decade previously we'd had zero fried routers inn the same house etc.

They are crap.

Didds

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
1.5Mb, we pray for that type of connection! At the end of a copper wire, although the village pub has just paid for fibre to be brought into the village.

However when I rang BT to enquiry about connection they knew nothing about the fibre, now waiting for Openreach to respond, mind you the email I got within 2 days (which of course covers their SLA) said nothing other than we'll look into it and get back to you!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I'll have another stab!

The Thomson routers plus net provide are rubbish. We got through five in 18 months. Call centre may be in Yorkshire but I never got through in under 30 minutes. They told me the power supply in my house must be rubbish as to why these routers kept dieing, but they couldn't explain how with Zen in the decade previously we'd had zero fried routers in the same house etc.

They are crap.

Didds

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I'll have another stab!

The Thomson routers plus net provide are rubbish. We got through five in 18 months. Call centre may be in Yorkshire but I never got through in under 30 minutes. They told me the power supply in my house must be rubbish as to why these routers kept dieing, but they couldn't explain how with Zen in the decade previously we'd had zero fried routers in the same house etc.

They are crap.

Didds

Didds

A recent conversation with the man from Openreach fitting my fibre may be of interest.

PlusNet which were a small Yorkshire company, have been bought out by BT. The routers they supply now are exactly the same as the BT home hub, but with different branding on. So through PlusNet you get almost exactly what you would get from BT, but at a lower cost. Not sure which router you had?

PlusNet Router Front

plus front.jpg

PlusNet Router Back

plus back.jpg

BT Home Hub Back

bt back.jpg

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
definitely not those Phil! But thankyou for your update.

Plusnet were owned by BT when we were with them, not that that alters their router provision now!

didds

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I will let you know how I get on. So far so good, 60Mbit download speeds from day one.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
41.2 Kbps today!

Kate Banks

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Never had problems with Plusnet, if anything the opposite.

I've never used the routers they supply until now as I'm too tight to cough £700 - £800 for a Cisco fibre router. I only use their router as the access point to the outside network and have an internal Cisco wireless and wired network

You are really lucky man:clap:

Fatboy_Ginge

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
You are really lucky man:clap:

May have something to do with being Cisco qualified and being able to correct the level 1 support. I usually end up with level 2 or 3 support who agree the problem usually lies with BT somewhere.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
FBG highlights the main issue - that when you know enough (I'm a unix systems admin but know enough to deal with a LAN! ) you are left telling the level 1 support what they don't know and why their crib sheet is useless because you've already done it all!

didds

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
tech_support.png

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Just for info I have been with PlusNet for some time now and had absolutely no problems whatsoever.
Speeds are good both ways and the teenagers in the house haven't complained once about the internet.
Even when I am playing Battlefield 1 in HD :smile:

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Starbucks is my ISP when I need to get some WiFi. Like now to see the U-20 hi-lites courtesy of PlanetRugby: http://www.planetrugby.com/news/video-world-rugby-u20-championship-highlights-day-1/

But I have a serious question: I NEVER access my bank info when on a public place like Starbucks or the local library coz of my fear of some-one (400 lb hacker in his bed) picking up by connection.

Is this a REAL risk or am I just paranoid. I reckon i'm safe on my 42.6 kb dial-up at home.