[Line out] Quick throw in after penalty kick

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
What about 6.a.5.d A ref gives permission to the players to leave the playing area.

While normally the hooker or person taking a QTI wouldn't need permission to leave the pitch, I would suggest that leaving the pitch in order to have the ball played to you in order to gain an advantage would come under this law.

Id be slow to encourage moves like this.

I've yet to see a player teetering on the edge of the Playing Area, desperately trying to retain balance to stay inside the white lines, because you haven't given them permission to go outside. Or a person failing to do so penalised.

Far too literal an interpretation of the Laws, with no Irony emoticon. I thought that our role was to enable play, not to stiffle unusual but safe plays. (Although I don't believe that many coaches without something to prove would waste time practising this.)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I once saw a German referee PK a receiving plater at kick off of a game, because he started outside the touchline and ran forwards onto the pitch to catch the kick towards him.

This was also the same ref in the same game that gave a penalty goal/conversion because the touch judge moved his flag to indicate a miss but insisted a moving flag meant the ball was over (we could see it wasn't over from spectating 60-odd metres away!

didds

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
If the intended receiver starts in touch and ahead of the kicker, I would certainly expect the referee to tell him to get back.

It is normal for a player to leave the pitch to retrieve the ball for a throw-in without requiring the referee's permission. I see no benefit in starting by being in touch anyway.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I once saw a German referee PK a receiving plater at kick off of a game, because he started outside the touchline and ran forwards onto the pitch to catch the kick towards him.

This was also the same ref in the same game that gave a penalty goal/conversion because the touch judge moved his flag to indicate a miss but insisted a moving flag meant the ball was over (we could see it wasn't over from spectating 60-odd metres away!

didds

Sounds like an LBW being so plumb square leg could see it...

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... I see no benefit in starting by being in touch anyway.
Exactly - neither can I. The more I think of it, the more the player standing in touch seems surplus to requirements.

If the kicker can kick with such pinpoint accuracy to an onside player standing in touch - so that he can take a QTI to a teammate "coming up at speed, why can't he just cut out the middle man and kick it directly to the teammate "coming up at speed"? :chin:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
yes, well the catcher needs to be in touch when he catches the ball.

So he could stand on the edge of the pitch until the moment the ball is kicked to him, and then quickly take a step back and catch the incoming ball.

Or he can just stand in touch in the first place - - seems a little easier to pull off, but either would be OK.

If the kicker can kick with such pinpoint accuracy to an onside player standing in touch - so that he can take a QTI to a teammate "coming up at speed, why can't he just cut out the middle man and kick it directly to the teammate "coming up at speed"? :chin:

well,
- it's obviously lot harder to kick the ball to a moving catcher than to a stationary catcher.
- it's the two step action that is a big part of the surprise, when the ball is kicked into touch, the oppo (hopefully) relax, expecting a lineout.

Last edited:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
The m ore I read the thread it seems that it would never be a primary tactic. The lLster V glasgow clip to which Taff referred to makes sense. A kick totouch with a chase that carries the possibility of catching the defence cold if they shut down when the kick goes into touch. It will be rare but certainly it's legal.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
yes, I wouldn't see this as a primary tactic - but perhaps an unexpected rabbit to pull out of a hat if the right moment came up.

(like if you were playing Wales in the RWC had eschewed a kick at goal, but weren't actually very confident about pulling off a lineout.)

One nice thing about it is you are not committed -- kick to a waiting recipient in touch, if all the oppo look extremely alert and the move isn't on, then shrug, take the lineout.

Last edited:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... well,
- it's obviously lot harder to kick the ball to a moving catcher than to a stationary catcher.
- it's the two step action that is a big part of the surprise, when the ball is kicked into touch, the oppo (hopefully) relax, expecting a lineout.
I reckon you've over-complicated it mate. :biggrin:

The Ulster v Glasgow tactic (which I assumed is what you were suggesting in the first place) was a stroke of genius as far as I could see.

• If the ball stays infield, the chaser has a good chance of getting it and scoring.
  • If the ball stays infield, but the opposition get there first, they'll probably welly it to touch anyway, so you get the throw in.
  • If it ball goes to touch, the QTI is on provided the chasing teammate is quick and alert to it.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I reckon you've over-complicated it mate. :biggrin:

Actually I think my original idea has got a bit lost in translation, and we're slightly at cross purposes

The Ulster v Glasgow tactic (which I assumed is what you were suggesting in the first place) was a stroke of genius as far as I could see.

there you go! - the Ulster Glasgow tactic was different from what I was suggesting.

In UvG the tactic seems to be simply for two players chase every PK for touch hoping that the ball will bounce kindly and an opportunity for a QTI will present itself.

My tactic is much more pre-arranged and predictable

- PK 5-10m - from the oppo tryline
- kick it directly sideways into touch, as is perfectly normal to set up an attacking line out. Oppo all expect attacking lineout
- waiting hooker casually catches it --- and then executes a surprise QTI to a teammate coming through at speed.

It's not complicated. I reckon it would lead to a try.

[the waiting hooker needs to be slightly behind the mark for the PK of course, and he needs to make sure he is in touch when he catches the ball]

Last edited: