re-start after try

Colt

Referees in England
Post Likes
level 10 good tempered game, played in good spirit with the usual "queries" from the 9.

Whites score a try and the majority jog back into their half, end up in a huddle over to one side. Green on their line well behaved, kick misses posts and green despatch a quick runner to collect bal whilst remainder of green position for k.o., white still in a huddle having a chat, beyond their 10m line. Ball arrives with green kicker, I am in the middle ready to go, green kicker looks at me, he is ready to go, as is his team I nod ok at the same time shout out to know one in particular, "let's go". k.o. goes down the middle (!) white turn and scamper after ball all very confused and much shouting at each other, me, the opposition. Luckily, for white, they have a few fast boys and just manage a tackle which slows everyone down and normal service resumes, ending in a k.o. with a white scrum, order restored!!

White skip, really good helpful 2nd row takes opportunity to sort of have a go at me asking if the "quick" re-start was allowed, I told him I had made the mark and green had also asked me if they could go, so I didn't have a problem, not sure he agreed with me, any thoughts, should I have been a bit more of a gentleman and asked white to get ready?

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
Deffo not. You don't even need to make a mark. As long as they've used the same ball, are all behind the kicker then it's whites' problem for being smug/thick/unobservent*

*delete whichever does not apply

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I think the problem with stuff like this is while you may be tempted to show white a lesson, it just makes you look somewhat of a twit.

Had you warned white to be prepared? When green looked at you initially had you said something like "C'mon white - we need to get going?"

You say it had been a good natured game etc etc - had white been guilty of any time wasting activities beforehand and been warned/penalised already?

The letter of the laws may have made your approach "correct" to this appears to me to be a management area.

didds

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
Why would you need to warn white to be prepared? They know the game has to restart, if they're being dozy then that's their look-out. How far should your anti-dozing warning go? "I'd watch the blind side, lads, their scrum half asked me if he could squeeze past me?":chin:
I would certainly feel more of twit telling green they can't go "because white aren't ready" - no defence in law and what happens at the next lineout or QT ? "Sorry, we weren't ready, can white take it again?"

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
How do you know white aren;t trying to work out who is going to play scrumhalf cos their #9 is slightly injured but doesn;t want to go off (bench used up etc) ?

There may be a very valid reason that they are engrossed in debate.

In a well tempered game such as described I see no reason not to pre-empt the kick off in the interests of keeping everyone "on-side" and positive. Whether the law is correct or not it just leaves you looking (rightly or wrongly) a bit of righteous twonk.

I'm not tallking about waiting ages for them to sort themselves out here... 10 seonds would be MORE than enough.

didds

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
nah if they dont say gis a minute ref, then just get on with it.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Didds - Time between scoring and restart can be as almost much as between the two halves. Froma very early early age I was told never to turn my back on the ball. If that lesson hasn't filtered through to L.10, it probably needs to. In this case, the try has been scored, white has made it half way upfield, the tee has been found, the placement has been made, the kick has been taken, the ball collected, 15 men and a ref have jogged half a pitch. It's hardly a surprise what happens next, is it?

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
From a very early early age I was told never to turn my back on the ball. If that lesson hasn't filtered through to L.10, it probably needs to.

Didds, you are out voted matey, Dixie puts it eloquently as usual.

The referee does not restart the game, the team kicking off do although the referee can stop it if he has good reason to and I would suggest the lack of an opposition look out is not a good reason.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
No sympathy for white at all - it is their look-out and responsibiliuty to be ready.

If there is an injury issue or replacement to be made, all they have to do is ask - and I would hold the re-start kick.

Colt

Referees in England
Post Likes
thanks for the views one and all.

Just to wrap things up.

White had been a tad slow to organise set pieces all game, I had told them several times to speed things up, the one that really bugged me was the lineout when both sides more or less set and the 2 wanders up to his lot for a chat as to the call! put a stop to that early on.

There was no reason for the huddle, it was a warm day no subs or injuries, they just seemed to be a team that wanted to chat about everything, which is fine but I like to run a fast game with quick decisions being made, 'cause that's what my Colts do!

Hopefully lesson learned by white

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
No sympathy for white at all

Sympathy? Well, we all know where that word appears in the dictionary:D

White's kicker had returned to the fold and green had a chance to retrieve the ball and get to the half-way line. Ergo, play-on and as Dixie said :wow:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I am outvoted indeed :)

Thaty said White do sound like a bunch of old women with all their chatting and time wasting bollix so it sounds more than a fair scenario after all!

didds