Ref and TJ not on same page

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Saturdays game,
Blue winger sprinting down the line and as he is about 15m/10m from goal line, TJ (also sprinting, well positioned) puts his flag up.
Then a split second before I blow the whistle puts it down again , but I have blown
Blue winger "scores"

Blue spectators not very happy (it's the red TJ, naturally) they don't think the winger was in touch

I say to the TJ .. he was in touch ? And he puts his flag back up. Satisfied I move in field away from the touchline.

As the lineout starts to form the blue captain says to me "Sir, the TJ is saying it wasn't touch"

Sigh, so back to the TJ, and I say, "flag up, flag down, doesn't matter, forget the coach.. so, in your best judgement , what happened ? Touch or not ?"

Not in touch

Ok , no problem. Shame you put your flag up though!

Sorry, Sir

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
so was the red TJ putting his flag up because the red coach told him to?
(* sucks air in past teeth.... *)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
maybe also in similar situation is not blow, call time off after ball grounded, have a chat to TJ, then either award lineout or try. Of course, if the players all stop when they see flag up, you have no choice but to go with lineout

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I don't think so, red coach was nowhere near.
then I dont know what this line means

>> Sigh, so back to the TJ, and I say, "flag up, flag down, doesn't matter, forget the coach.. so, in your best judgement , what happened ? Touch or >> not ?"

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Got you.

The TJ (red sub) was getting some grumbling from the blue coach (who was close by) I meant that he shouldn't feel pressured by him (or anyone else)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Not having much luck with TJs this season !

Yesterday a conversion clearly missed .... but somehow both TJs put their flag up!

ianh5979

Referees in England
Post Likes

Yesterday a conversion clearly missed .... but somehow both TJs put their flag up!
You are the only judge of fact, disallow the conversion

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
there is that thing where the furthest TJ puts the flag up cos they see the nearest TJ (post wise) put their's up... so I woulkdnt read too much in "both put their flag up". Not that IU did that when i TJd. I want to see it pass through !

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

How did that happen?! Did it look ok for one, and the other just blindly followed their lead, or did they not understand the flag is for a good conversion not just the ball sailing past them?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
How did that happen?! Did it look ok for one, and the other just blindly followed their lead, or did they not understand the flag is for a good conversion not just the ball sailing past them?
It was a blue kick

I think what happened was the the red TJ wasn't sure, the blue TJ confidently signalled that it was good, and the red TJ meekly followed his lead.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Often it is impossible for the further AR/TJ to see if the kick is successful especially if the flight is above the post. In such cases it is best practice for him/her to follow the other's lead with a verbal "my post" and "your post".

Not much looks worse than 1 flag up & 1 flag down

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I just had the opposite situation occur in a game I was playing in, ironically. Both TJs confidently put flags up for the conversion, immediately. Ref disagreed from his perspective, and didn't award it. But almost certainly it did convert and the ref was mistaken. Didn't matter in the scheme of things, and no ill-will towards the ref from the players, mistakes happen.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Often it is impossible for the further AR/TJ to see if the kick is successful especially if the flight is above the post. In such cases it is best practice for him/her to follow the other's lead with a verbal "my post" and "your post".

Not much looks worse than 1 flag up & 1 flag down
In NLMOT land we agree it's over or missed before putting the flags up (or not).

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In NLMOT land we agree it's over or missed before putting the flags up (or not).
What happens if you don't agree?
I mean, obviously, you refer the decision back to the ref, but how do you signal your disagreement to the ref, and to people watching ?