Refcam as a training aid.

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I recorded a 10min video of me refereeing my club at training yesterday. The camera was mounted to my chest and I was using it with the idea of making sure that I wasn't getting square to rucks.
From a communication aspect it's very different as you know all the players names etc...
Tell me what you think of this as a training aid and please give as much feedback as possible.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
too many girls in tights - air temp in double figures ?

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
It's a carry over from the warm weather and pre-season when we were getting loads of midges bites.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I know it's training however I think you talk too much.

"Tackler away, awAY, AWAY!!!" - why not just say "roll" same outcome hopefully.
"PLAY!" - why do you need to say this? The players know what to do.
"Hands off, that's a ruck" From the video no hands seemed on the ball.

At the end of the day if you treat a training session like a game then the players will respond and get more out of the session.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

"Tackler away, awAY, AWAY!!!" - why not just say "roll" same outcome hopefully.
"PLAY!" - why do you need to say this? The players know what to do.
"Hands off, that's a ruck" From the video no hands seemed on the ball.

At the end of the day if you treat a training session like a game then the players will respond and get more out of the session.

+1

You seemed to have the habit of commentating the breakdown, or reminding them what to do at every single breakdown (I'm guilty of this too:redface:.). This is probably fine at juniors but I think that's unnecessary at adults level. Only talk when you see something not happen (or about to happen). They should know what to do. Your verbals pretty much became white noise. If you're verbalising for the sake of helping remind yourself the transitions or your checklist through the phases, then fine, but I'd say it quietly and not bark it out. At training is the perfect time to practice saying nothing (if nothing else then to see what happens when you say nothing and how the players self manage - or not).

Again, I know it's training, so you probably took a few shortcuts to keep things flowing for the players/coaches and didnt want to be too over officious and look like the general but I'd manage the first lineout more to set your standards. I may have been fooled by the wide camera angle lens (typical of gopro). Stay at the front. Set the gap as you want it (and tell the front two to manage that size gap from then on). I noticed that you moved to the back before one team had set, you asked the players to give you/keep a gap, and what did they do? Nothing! The gap looked too narrow. Blow it up and get them to give the gap you're expecting/wanting (ie by then you seemed to have become white noise). The result was that the 2nd line out had barely a gap. No surprises that even the long throw went astray.

Ps. Scrum cadence looked rather quick! But perhaps that's the new speed now with the CBSY9, which we are yet to experience down here!

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Ps. Scrum cadence looked rather quick! But perhaps that's the new speed now with the CBSY9, which we are yet to experience down here!

I suspect that was because the scrums were uncontested.

Chogan, can you lose the Irish accent? Also, it is customary to start the game with a kick off, not a scrum :)

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I suspect that was because the scrums were uncontested.

R u sure?? I thought that was as contested an Irish scrum as you get? :biggrin:

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
And what would australians know about scrummaging ??:pepper:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
And what would australians know about scrummaging ??:pepper:

We don't need to know about scrummaging because we have backs that know what the gain line means.*

that is the equivalent of a winning volley at the net - love it :biggrin:

Almost...lob return (moves to back of court ready for the smash!)

* we did have backs until most forced to attend their AA meetings instead *sigh*! :buttkick:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I'm guilty of that too, so he's not alone.

I do it partly to remind myself of what I expect to see. Will try and do it quietly as suggested.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I was thinking of starting a separate thread, but has anyone here ever used a GoPro for an actual game? The cost has now come down to £250, chest rigs are pretty cheap (£20) and the quality is mind-blowing.

I bought one a few weeks ago (mainly for use on the bike) but the more I think of it, the more I reckon it would be an ideal training aid. I know the video in the OP was from a training "game", but as far as I can see there is nothing stopping us from using one in a real game.

Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Taff. My mate has used one and found it only really useful for the set pieces.

Here's a snippet of a game where his son was using it. I did a referee coach report on this game for him, and I found the gopro footage incredibly useful,and he did too, to show him exactly what we were talking about with his scrum and lineout management. The lad could see exactly what were were talking about when he saw the footage.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eAPMtDWgHPQ&feature=youtu.be

It can also help you prove when the water boy stitched you up in a game::pepper::pepper:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=QPxh7dhBwxk

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
that is the equivalent of a winning volley at the net - love it :biggrin:

I recorded a 10min video of me refereeing my club at training yesterday. The camera was mounted to my chest and I was using it with the idea of making sure that I wasn't getting square to rucks.
From a communication aspect it's very different as you know all the players names etc...
Tell me what you think of this as a training aid and please give as much feedback as possible.

im far more concerned of the vicious dog

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Is there a inter webs link to said camera?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Is there a inter webs link to said camera?
Try www.gopro.com

They are advertised on their site for about £350 but you can now brand new ones online for £250 .... probably because there are strong rumours that the GoPro 4 is due out soon. Mind you those rumours have been flying around now for months. The one I bought is the GoPro Hero 3+. If the Hero 4 is even better then it will be very impressive.

They are a doddle to use (even my 13yr old manages it well on the back of the motorbike) but the only problem as far as I can see is that the editing software is a bit complicated if you want to be swish and post a few polished clips online on say Youtube. If you're just using it as a self-training aid on your own computer though and you have no intention of posting edited video online, then you don't need the complicated editing.

Last edited:

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
One of the referee's at touch football went fishing on Monday and his go pro ended up in the bottom of the ocean! Quite an expensive fishing trip, me thinks.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
They are a doddle to use (even my 13yr old manages it well on the back of the motorbike) but the only problem as far as I can see is that the editing software is a bit complicated if you want to be swish and post a few polished clips online on say Youtube. If you're just using it as a self-training aid on your own computer though and you have no intention of posting edited video online, then you don't need the complicated editing.

Would there be any interest in a guide to simple video editing with free software? I do this sort of thing out in the real world, and with the system specs of home computers these days, it's never been easier to do more with less.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Would there be any interest in a guide to simple video editing with free software? I do this sort of thing out in the real world, and with the system specs of home computers these days, it's never been easier to do more with less.
yes please. i was doing similar with Panasonic software 10 years ago, and things must have moved on since then