Referee Knocked Out

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
But who has the authority to force a concussed referee off the pitch, if he doesn't want to go?

No one I suspect - and with the departure of various 'referee management' at HQ, no one there either !

It is a good question and I would expect our members to make the correct call - 95% of the time they are on their own, without ARs anyway.

I did once have a major row with a club blazer as the referee had badly pulled a hammy and could only hobble (not even walk). He abandoned the match (level 9 or 10) and the blazer let rip - suggested he ref from centre, which is when I intervened..... needless to say neither the ref nor I reffed from the halfway line, the referee was treated by club physio, and the cards duly filled in for Comps Committee to make a decision.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I did once have a major row with a club blazer as the referee had badly pulled a hammy and could only hobble (not even walk).
I once pulled a calf muscle with a similar impact on my mobility. However it was just a friendly, and the away captain was only too keen to take over.

Afterwards several of his team said he was far too bossy and they wished I had been able to continue! (Perhaps they reckoned I missed more of their offences ...)