Referee Knocked Out

Accylad

Referees in England
Post Likes
I had finsihed my L6 second team game on Saturday and wandred over to watch the last 1/2 hr of the National League 2 first game on the next door pitch.

There was no play taking place and it turned out that the referee had been KO'ed. I knew AR1 well and he asked me to hang about in case he had to go on and I could then be handed the flag...

The referee recovered, finished the game and I was not aware of any critical incidents in the remainder of the game.

It made me wonder though.... If a player were out cold he would (should!) be replaced and would not play again for his own protection.

Who tells the referee that for his own welbeing he should come off and be monitored? Club doctor (one present)? AR's? In a game without AR's could the captains after, say, a couple of irrational decisions ask the referee to stop?

I wondered if anyone here had any experience of this?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Maybe he cruised through the concussion test............ Q? What colour is the grass ref? .... Ans...Tuesday ....... Close enough - you're fine to carry on ! :biggrin:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I would expect the Referee Coach / Match Observer would intervene if there was an obvious problem and insist AR1 takes over.

Yes it happened once (and Simon Smith knows about it too) in a cup semi final at Alton v Basingstoke (real local derby in those days and a L6 match) and at post half time kick-off referee was ahead of kicker who changed direction and he got the ball full on the side of his head. He went down like the proverbial sack of potatoes ! He was out cold and no way could he continue. A Basingstoke club member was watching and took over at both teams invitation - he was the Society Appointments Secretary and a National Panel TJ.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I would expect the Referee Coach / Match Observer would intervene if there was an obvious problem and insist AR1 takes over.

Yes it happened once (and Simon Smith knows about it too) in a cup semi final at Alton v Basingstoke (real local derby in those days and a L6 match) and at post half time kick-off referee was ahead of kicker who changed direction and he got the ball full on the side of his head. He went down like the proverbial sack of potatoes ! He was out cold and no way could he continue. A Basingstoke club member was watching and took over at both teams invitation - he was the Society Appointments Secretary and a National Panel TJ.

I was watching that with a couple of Assessors; recovering from a serious illness, so must have been late 2001 or early 2002. I'm very very sorry that I still giggle whenever I think about it.

Basingstoke Replacement Referee had a great second half.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
The original point is fair; it seems to me that a concussion has recognised potential to impair cognitive ability, and so in a situation wherein there is a Plan B (i.e. suitably appointed AR1), that plan B should be executed as a matter of basic policy to avoid allegations of post-concussion impairment, quite apart from the health'n'safety aspects as regards the ref.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I got clobbered at Sheffield Tigers once. Wasn't unconscious, but don't remember a thing about the second half, which included me awarding a penalty try (correctly I hasten to add). No ARs of course, but the North Group video was a decent level ref and always had his kit in the boot. Unfortunately, he only told me this in the bar afterwards!!

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
.... It made me wonder though.... If a player were out cold he would (should!) be replaced and would not play again for his own protection. ... Who tells the referee that for his own welbeing he should come off and be monitored? Club doctor (one present)? AR's? In a game without AR's could the captains after, say, a couple of irrational decisions ask the referee to stop?
It would take a pretty brave captain to say "Look Ref; you've taken a hell of a whack to the head. Don't you think you should sit this one out?" It's asking a lot.

Last edited:

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
It would take a pretty brave captain to say "Look Ref; you've taken a hell of a whack to the head. Don't you think you should sit this one out?"

I guess equally brave to tell his prop that insists on playing on the same.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I got clobbered at Sheffield Tigers once. Wasn't unconscious, but don't remember a thing about the second half, which included me awarding a penalty try (correctly I hasten to add). No ARs of course, but the North Group video was a decent level ref and always had his kit in the boot. Unfortunately, he only told me this in the bar afterwards!!

I usually lose consciousness at Sheffield Tigers but it's hypothermia that causes it.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
gosh I really hope that if I am ever knocked out someone would stop me from carrying on...
I would do that for any one of them, you'd kind of hope someone would do that for me, even if was only the team that was losing :)

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
TWO ASSISTANT REFEREES AND NEITHER SAID ANYTHING?????????

You would get a player off in this situation, why on earth would they think the referee is different? :wtf:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
TWO ASSISTANT REFEREES AND NEITHER SAID ANYTHING?????????

You would get a player off in this situation, why on earth would they think the referee is different? :wtf:
I suspect the referee is demonstrably less likely to take another knock to the head in the same game. This may have been the thinking - though it doesn't seem to be very thorough.

Stuartg

Referees in England
Post Likes
So this season I have

(a) had a black eye after clashing heads with a big No.8
(b) been sideswiped by a tackler and ended up with a very sore ankle and black/blue foot
(c) last Saturday I pulled my left calf after 20mins and limped/hobbled in agony for the remaining hour of the match - home team won 59-33 - some indication of the openess of the gae.

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Gent's, The duty Doctor scat tested me straight away and was happy, Both AR's were very good and made me wait a couple of mins before they were happy with me as well. I manned up & got on with it. I am sure that if there had been any sign of me not being OK the Doc or the AR's would have got me off straight away.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Gent's, The duty Doctor scat tested me straight away and was happy, Both AR's were very good and made me wait a couple of mins before they were happy with me as well. I manned up & got on with it. I am sure that if there had been any sign of me not being OK the Doc or the AR's would have got me off straight away.

Glad you were ok, but the locals think you remained concussed !! http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/read/s344.htm?590,14344126

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Womble, what's the score?
No idea?
Off you go son, your concussed!
:biggrin:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
You have got to smile, The players were all happy after ( well I think they were ) and the spectators do tend to see it their own way :pepper:

When has it ever been any other way?