Refereeing in French

Swiss Ref

Post Likes
Was it my imagination or did the RFU used to produce a tape giving basic commands and technical terms to help English refs to ref in French Language.

Any help in tracking a copy down much appreciated.

Rgds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
the instructions were to use english as normal - but to SHOUT them SLOWLY.

;-)

didds

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
french dont obey rules(laws) so doesnt matter to them ... say what you like.

"where would we be w/out rules?"

FRANCE !!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
¿Que? …………….

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
The IRb website has the lawbook in French if that's any help.
:cool:

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
Swiss Ref said:
Was it my imagination or did the RFU used to produce a tape giving basic commands and technical terms to help English refs to ref in French Language.

Any help in tracking a copy down much appreciated.

Rgds

Come come now... Surely everyone in Switzerland is happy in at least 4 languages? :)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I have discovered that the IRB did indeed produce a very comprehensive one recently, and am now trying to find out how to get hold of a copy - apparently it is hardcopy only.

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
OB.. said:
I have discovered that the IRB did indeed produce a very comprehensive one recently, and am now trying to find out how to get hold of a copy - apparently it is hardcopy only.
Even if it is hardcopy, you could have it scanned and saved as a PDF file for distribution. This would actually be very useful, especially in Canada where English and French teams play against each other more often than any other country (I suspect).

I was refereeing a French v. English University match on Friday and both referee coaches commended me for my ease of transition from English to French when addressing players, though to be fair both referee coaches are Welsh so understand neither English nor French.

Once you have this document, could you please pass it on as many referees over here would benefit from this?

Cheers,
-Bryan

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
CChartian,

It's taken you long enough to make your first post, but I'm glad you did.

I was hoping to be able to have the non forums side of the site in more than one language too, I'd love to put forums up for other languages, but alas there are not many members who do not speak english.

Does the offer extend to helping me but the non forum side of the site into French (Bryan could also probably help).

My aim is to get French, Greman and Spanish.

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Cédric,

Merci bien de présentez ce dictionnaire à la part du FFR. La majorité des matches au Canada sont joué entre deux équipes Anglais, sauf à Québec ou ils jouent dans les deux langues mais l'arbitre utilise "Crouch-and-hold" au mêlée, et "Sin Bin" au lieu du "Zone d'Exclusion temporaire".

J’ai distribué cette fiche aux autres arbitres au Canada, car ce n’est pas la première fois ou on demandait s’il y avait un guide de rugby en français pour les mots anglais. Il serait très utile dans la prochaine saison.

[Je n’avais pas le temps de mettre tout les accent sur les mots. Pardonnez-moi, mais mon clavier est anglais, mais hereusement Microsoft Word a un fonction qui permet de le faire. Si non, je serais ici pour quelques heures appuyer sur les different boutons].

-Bryan

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Whilst I could never have typed that myself, I think I undersand most of it.

School boy french did teach me something afterall.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
School boy french => "Franglais"

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
No Franglias is different. It was invented by David Taylor Deputy Editor of Punch magazine in the early 1980s. I was working there on commercial side, and remember it well. It was based on his prep school French lessons experiences.

Then the two guys who wrote Allo Allo, took it a stage further with Crabtree's lines - which came about by accident due to Croft's typos !

johnH

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sky viewers all over the UK can receive S4C, and there are sometimes good matches to watch on Clwb Rygbi (usually Celtic League) and Le Rygbi (French League). Of course the commentary is all in Welsh. It would be great to have a list of terms to understand a little of what's being said. Any pointers on the web?

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sky viewers all over the UK can receive S4C, and there are sometimes good matches to watch on Clwb Rygbi (usually Celtic League) and Le Rygbi (French League). Of course the commentary is all in Welsh. It would be great to have a list of terms to understand a little of what's being said. Any pointers on the web?

Sub titles in English on Cllwbb Rygbill sometimes...

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I have now managed to obtain a copy of the IRB's French phrase book for rugby. Anybody interested?

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Non, parce que mon anglais est tres bonne en comparison de ma francais.